Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite 9mm Loads

31 minutes ago, A78729 said:

I tried 1.120 and it's still catches the rifling. It's hard to cycle the chambered round.

I'd shorten that load a bit - run The Plunk Test ...

Not a good idea for the bullets to "catch the rifling"  -  will eventually cause a problem,

usually at just The Wrong Time.   :) 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, A78729 said:

I have a PSA upper but it seems to not like normal lengths. My regular loads are 1.130, I tried 1.120 and it's still catches the rifling. It's hard to cycle the chambered round. Anyone else had this issue?

Its normal for PSA barrels.  I have two and both require I load short.  My main load is 147 gr RN plated bullets at 1.085: OAL.   My  practice load is 125 gr RN coated bullets that I can run to 1.100"  Anything longer on either load and they fail the plunk test.

Bill

3.8 titegroup 115plated bullet from bulletworks.net 

JP GMR15 runs 1200FPS.

I havent tried any other bullets but this shoots super soft and groups well at 100 yards.

Its normal for PSA barrels.  I have two and both require I load short.  My main load is 147 gr RN plated bullets at 1.085: OAL.   My  practice load is 125 gr RN coated bullets that I can run to 1.100"  Anything longer on either load and they fail the plunk test.

Bill

Thanks Bill for the clarification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm playing with a few more loads this week.  On the powder measure I dropped from 3.0 gr of VV N320 to 2.9gr.  Chrono results for the 147 gr bullets is a PF of 128.3.  

The same 2.9 gr of N320 under 125 gr coated bullets gives me a power factor of 106.2,  It functions well in the gun and should be a good Steel Challenge load.

• 4 months later...
On 4/21/2017 at 11:15 AM, HMFIC03 said:

My current load for a Wilson 16" fluted barrel (shorter throat) 

135 FP Xtream  ( I used these differentiate between my pistol (HP) and my wife's loads RN easily)

1.13 OAL

3.7 of Auto comp

AVG Velocity 998. -  134 PF

I have some loads worked up at 3.4  which I need to function test and chrono should put them at 125PF. 

How do you like autocomplete foand 9mm minor?

8 hours ago, Malarkey said:

How do you like autocomplete foand 9mm minor?

I don’t anymore.  I prefer faster powder like titegroup. Especially for the shorter 5” inch taccom barrel, autocomp doesn’t even burn up completely before leaving the barrel in my loads. Soooo too dirty, less powder (faster) seems better IMO

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For my FX-9 I load a 147 grain round nose bullet with 4.3 grains HS-6. Gives approximately 900 fps and is very soft shooting.

Installed a 6.4oz FM buffer, a JP trigger, a UTG AR15 S2 OPS ready 6 position tele stock, and a AR stoner 308 muzzle brake that is bored out for 9mm on the FX-9.

2 hours ago, verla said:

For my FX-9 I load a 147 grain round nose bullet with 4.3 grains HS-6. Gives approximately 900 fps and is very soft shooting.

Installed a 6.4oz FM buffer, a JP trigger, a UTG AR15 S2 OPS ready 6 position tele stock, and a AR stoner 308 muzzle brake that is bored out for 9mm on the FX-9.

What kind of buffer spring? Regular carbine or 308 carbine?

Awesome info everyone. Has anyone experimented with lowering your overall bullet length from 1.15” to say 1.13” and chronographed the result? It should be hotter, of course. I use N320 and 3N37 with 115 grain CMJs. I have intermittent failures to extract that do not occur with hotter loads. Want to achieve higher velocity without just adding more powder. Thanks. 

21 hours ago, snipersyn said:

What kind of buffer spring? Regular carbine or 308 carbine?

Used the buffer spring that came with the FX-9 carbine. Tried a 308 buffer spring but it was not as soft shooting as the original with the FM 6.4 oz buffer.

Try this combination and find out how you like it. Do not think you can get this carbine to shoot softer.

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2019 at 12:03 PM, Ron101 said:

Ruger 9mm carbine 124gr using titegroup.  Best load???

Right now I run 147 gr Extreme with 2.8gr Titegroup and get 940 fps in my AR9, but I just got some 124 gr Blue Bullets, and I was also wondering how many grains of Titegroup to use for them.

Does anyone use  Titegroupwith 124gr coated bullets?

Thank you,
Chris

On 9/24/2019 at 4:34 PM, surfmaster said:

Awesome info everyone. Has anyone experimented with lowering your overall bullet length from 1.15” to say 1.13” and chronographed the result? It should be hotter, of course. I use N320 and 3N37 with 115 grain CMJs. I have intermittent failures to extract that do not occur with hotter loads. Want to achieve higher velocity without just adding more powder. Thanks. 

Ran an experiment with N320 and 115 gr. heads and didn't see a significant difference between 1.125" and 1.140".

I have to have a more multipurpose load since we shoot both USPSA and 3gun. I find stuff more in the 140-150 pf range has a quicker and more predictable recoil impulse. It will also take down cranky steel and spinners more efficiently than a 125-130pf load. We also shoot to 100yards so I  need something that will stay around 2-3moa. 115gr Everglades v2 JHP with WSF 4.5(130pf) - 5.2(150pf) does what I need without changing components around for different disciplines.

Edited by JsK

I run 147grn Extreme RN copper using 3.6 grns of VV 320 OAL 1.120 in my Foxtrot Mike 7"upper and 9"upper SBR suppressed about 920fps with a PF of around 134,also works well with my Scorpion Micro pistol with 5" barrel suppressed same PF. This load shoots very soft and quiet even when not suppressed

• 3 weeks later...