Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Malarkey

Favorite 9mm Loads

31 minutes ago, A78729 said:

I tried 1.120 and it's still catches the rifling. It's hard to cycle the chambered round.

I'd shorten that load a bit - run The Plunk Test ...

Not a good idea for the bullets to "catch the rifling"  -  will eventually cause a problem,

usually at just The Wrong Time.   :) 

2 hours ago, A78729 said:

I have a PSA upper but it seems to not like normal lengths. My regular loads are 1.130, I tried 1.120 and it's still catches the rifling. It's hard to cycle the chambered round. Anyone else had this issue?

Its normal for PSA barrels.  I have two and both require I load short.  My main load is 147 gr RN plated bullets at 1.085: OAL.   My  practice load is 125 gr RN coated bullets that I can run to 1.100"  Anything longer on either load and they fail the plunk test.

Bill

3.8 titegroup 115plated bullet from bulletworks.net 

JP GMR15 runs 1200FPS.

I havent tried any other bullets but this shoots super soft and groups well at 100 yards.

Its normal for PSA barrels.  I have two and both require I load short.  My main load is 147 gr RN plated bullets at 1.085: OAL.   My  practice load is 125 gr RN coated bullets that I can run to 1.100"  Anything longer on either load and they fail the plunk test.

Bill

Thanks Bill for the clarification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Bill with that short of a OAL what is you load data

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 147 gr bullets are over 3.0 gr N-320 for a 132 PF,

The 125 gr bullets are over 3.5 gr N-320.  This load has not been run over the chrono but feels a bit hotter than the 147 gr load.

Bill

I'm playing with a few more loads this week.  On the powder measure I dropped from 3.0 gr of VV N320 to 2.9gr.  Chrono results for the 147 gr bullets is a PF of 128.3.  

The same 2.9 gr of N320 under 125 gr coated bullets gives me a power factor of 106.2,  It functions well in the gun and should be a good Steel Challenge load.

On 4/21/2017 at 11:15 AM, HMFIC03 said:

My current load for a Wilson 16" fluted barrel (shorter throat) 

135 FP Xtream  ( I used these differentiate between my pistol (HP) and my wife's loads RN easily)

1.13 OAL

3.7 of Auto comp

AVG Velocity 998. -  134 PF

I have some loads worked up at 3.4  which I need to function test and chrono should put them at 125PF. 

How do you like autocomplete foand 9mm minor?

8 hours ago, Malarkey said:

How do you like autocomplete foand 9mm minor?

I don’t anymore.  I prefer faster powder like titegroup. Especially for the shorter 5” inch taccom barrel, autocomp doesn’t even burn up completely before leaving the barrel in my loads. Soooo too dirty, less powder (faster) seems better IMO

For my FX-9 I load a 147 grain round nose bullet with 4.3 grains HS-6. Gives approximately 900 fps and is very soft shooting.

Installed a 6.4oz FM buffer, a JP trigger, a UTG AR15 S2 OPS ready 6 position tele stock, and a AR stoner 308 muzzle brake that is bored out for 9mm on the FX-9.

2 hours ago, verla said:

For my FX-9 I load a 147 grain round nose bullet with 4.3 grains HS-6. Gives approximately 900 fps and is very soft shooting.

Installed a 6.4oz FM buffer, a JP trigger, a UTG AR15 S2 OPS ready 6 position tele stock, and a AR stoner 308 muzzle brake that is bored out for 9mm on the FX-9.

What kind of buffer spring? Regular carbine or 308 carbine?

Awesome info everyone. Has anyone experimented with lowering your overall bullet length from 1.15” to say 1.13” and chronographed the result? It should be hotter, of course. I use N320 and 3N37 with 115 grain CMJs. I have intermittent failures to extract that do not occur with hotter loads. Want to achieve higher velocity without just adding more powder. Thanks. 

21 hours ago, snipersyn said:

What kind of buffer spring? Regular carbine or 308 carbine?

Used the buffer spring that came with the FX-9 carbine. Tried a 308 buffer spring but it was not as soft shooting as the original with the FM 6.4 oz buffer.

Try this combination and find out how you like it. Do not think you can get this carbine to shoot softer.