Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird Walther Q5 problem

GJM

I had a weird Q5 problem today. I was doing a draw and shoot one, reload and shoot one drill. When pushing hard, I would occasionally get a dead trigger after the reload. At first I thought the striker was slipping at mag insertion, but later had this sensation of the slide moving when I drove the pistol out for the shot after the reload. 

Tonight, trying to replicate it, when I push the pistol out hard, I can make the slide move slightly, and I think it was coming out of battery. Does this make sense, and is this a too light recoil spring issue? The pistol is stock, except I have a DeltaPoint Pro installed. Happened with OEM 15 round magazines, and 15 round mags with Taran baseplates. 

Factory is 17lb... I've never heard of this problem, I can't make the slide move by pushing out with both hands either. The only other thing I can think of is that the disconnector is sticking, maybe some dirt in there or the spring inside is hosed up. 

After the USPSA match, I headed back to the range to try to troubleshoot the Q5 problem. 

I had a second, new Q5, that I first zeroed with a DP Pro. Did a bunch of draw, shoot one, reload, shoot one drills. No issues. Then I did the same with the original Q5, and experienced a dead trigger, after each reload. Then I split uppers and lowers, and confirmed that the problem stayed with slide one, irrespective of which lower I used. This problem has just recently developed, and seems to have gotten worse over the last two sessions. 

Guess I will call Walther Monday.

Switched recoil springs on the Q5, and it did not solve the problem. Seems like a striker problem.

Since it only happens when I seat the magazine aggressively, I am thinking the striker is releasing, but the firing pin safety is preventing a loud noise?

Edited by GJM
Darn iPad

IMO, it could be your ammo if you are using the stock Walther weird stepped chamber barrel.  Get a Jarvis barrel (fits the Q5) and call it a day.  Or send it back to Walther and most likely they will replace the trigger bar like they did on my 5".  I have a 5" coming and already ordered a Jarvis for it.  Re-sight for the barrel/ammo you use and be done with it.

The problem with the Q5 was with factory FMJ and my Berry's 124 reloads. 

I called Walther today, and the tech guy told me he had seen the thread on Walther Forum, and was expecting my call. He emailed me a FedEx label, and the pistol is on the way back to them. Very pleasant experience. Will keep you posted on what they find.  

• 1 month later...
The problem with the Q5 was with factory FMJ and my Berry's 124 reloads. 

I called Walther today, and the tech guy told me he had seen the thread on Walther Forum, and was expecting my call. He emailed me a FedEx label, and the pistol is on the way back to them. Very pleasant experience. Will keep you posted on what they find.  

Any updates? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Very odd thing happened. 

I don't do many slide lock reloads with the Q5, and when I have, I have exclusively used the OEM 15 round magazines. Yesterday, I decided to check on a particular drill with slide lock reloads, and when I did, happened to have two magazines on my belt, both Taran plus 2/3 extended base pads. When I went to insert the magazine, I had consistent problems, with the slide either not going fully into battery or giving me a dead trigger. I tested three Q5 pistols, two with an optic and one with with iron sights, all with the same result. As you can imagine, this was extremely frustrating.

Last night, I discussed this with a friend, and the consensus was that the Q5 likely has a lighter recoil spring than the four inch PPQ, and that could be causing this problem. I went to the range this afternoon with a plan to verify that the PPQ four inch did not have this problem, then to pull the recoil spring from the PPQ four inch and try it in the Q5, and see if the problem went away. 

I never got to step two, as the four inch PPQ was also having problems. By chance, I had one OEM 15 round magazine and one Taran +2/3 magazine with me, and had started with the Taran. For some reason, I decided to try the OEM 15 in the PPQ four inch, and the problem went away. I then pulled out three other Q5 pistols, all that were having problems yesterday, and they had no problem with the OEM 15. Something about the Taran extended magazine seems to be causing these problems. Now I wonder whether the dead trigger I was having a few months back, with a particular Q5, was really related to the Taran magazine extension?