Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant Sport Pistol

AlanHinMN

Made an order for sport pistol today. Powder valley still has it in 8# jugs. Will do some ladders in 40 and 9mm.

I'm pretty content running 165gr bullets in Limited Major. I like a faster moving bullet for those movers. Same principle in my 9mm load. Run 124s for the higher velocity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to pick some up locally because my guy should have it in now after ordering it for me earlier in the month but I didn't realize he was closed on Sundays.  Uggghhh.

So, I'm going to call him today to see if he has it in and if so, I'm going to shoot down there and pick some up to try and get some loaded and get some rounds off next weekend.  :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Rowdy - It may just say that due to low smoke with coated bullets.  It may not have anything to do with the velocity and/or accuracy.  That is my guess anyway.  I truly don't know.  But since most people talk about TG and another powders having smoke issues with coated bullets, I'm wondering if that is why Alliant put that in there, so more people will try it with coated bullets.  It is supposed to be low smoke with coated.  I haven't tried coated bullets over anything yet, so I don't know.

Edited by R1_Demon

Any more news on this yet?  I just picked up a 1# jug of it the other day, but I haven't had a chance to load anything yet.  I'm waiting for my new taper crimp die to get here (today, I think) and just haven't had a chance to load anything yet.  I'm hoping to load some TG, N320 and Sport Pistol and then chrono them together as a comparison.  I figured it might be fun to do that and see how they all compare since they would be loaded on the same day or very close together and then shot on the same day for a comparison.  :)   I'm just not sure how many to load of each (10?  20?) because I haven't done a ladder load of any of them yet, so I'd basically be starting out with all of them, so I might have to hold this off until I get a proven ladder load with them all in my XDm .40 5.25" first at .40 Major and then compare those "final" PF loads against each other. (powder vs. powder)  But I'm sure someone has done that here already; I can't be the first to do this.

That's okay Rowdy...I'll be happy to get your feedback on the E3 and I'll give you my feedback on the Sport Pistol...so it is a win-win, right?  :)   Maybe I can load some up on Saturday and shoot them after my class on Sun.  :) 

I have made ladder loads for various bullet/weight combos in 40 and 9mm with Sport Pistol. The issue has been finding time to shoot them over the chrono.
I hope to shoot them and conduct the data reduction sometime between 27 October and 4 November.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Business trip was cut short - so I took advantage of the time to run the chrono yesterday.

The results are in Microsoft EXCEL format and attached here.

I put my results from the 9mm runs in the 9mm thread.

I tested 165 Bayou Bullet, 165 Blue Bullet, and 180 Blue Bullet in a STI  DVC Limited with OEM bbl.

I used Winchester once fired brass and Winchester small pistol primers.

You can see the different bullets in tabs across the bottom of the sheet.

Sport Pistol - DVC - 165Bayou 165_180 Blue.xlsx

4 hours ago, Khaot1c said:

Business trip was cut short - so I took advantage of the time to run the chrono yesterday.

The results are in Microsoft EXCEL format and attached here.

I put my results from the 9mm runs in the 9mm thread.

I tested 165 Bayou Bullet, 165 Blue Bullet, and 180 Blue Bullet in a STI  DVC Limited with OEM bbl.

I used Winchester once fired brass and Winchester small pistol primers.

You can see the different bullets in tabs across the bottom of the sheet.

Sport Pistol - DVC - 165Bayou 165_180 Blue.xlsx

Wow, that looks very consistent for almost every load of the Blue Bullets. I'd probably choose the softest shooting (lightest) load since you're splitting hairs on single digit SD's. Any accuracy testing?

Wow, that looks very consistent for almost every load of the Blue Bullets. I'd probably choose the softest shooting (lightest) load since you're splitting hairs on single digit SD's. Any accuracy testing?
None yet. Wanted to decide on a load first

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I loaded with 3.4 gr of  Sport Pistol with a Blue Bullets 200 gr and almost went sub minor.  3.6 is max so I’m a little concerned about going over, but I’ve got 7.9 lbs left so time to get loading.  

What’s your oal and barrel length? The SP load data used 1.1” with a 4” barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/28/2018 at 11:43 PM, GlockGuy1 said:

I loaded with 3.4 gr of  Sport Pistol with a Blue Bullets 200 gr and almost went sub minor.  3.6 is max so I’m a little concerned about going over, but I’ve got 7.9 lbs left so time to get loading.  

Interesting to understand this, as the load data for 180gr coated is 5gr at the same OAL and barrel length.  I wonder if the 200g projectile is being seated deep enough to compress or nearly compress the charge.

I loaded up some 200gr Swamp Poppers RN with some Sport Pistol last night and went to the range today to do some Chrono testing.

Test pistol was my fairly new (less than 500rnds) backup XDM 5.25. 

Conditions were after a (much needed, cooling) rain, 77F (feels like was 77F), 82 for humidity, 71 for dew point, 20ft above sea level (I am in S Louisiana after all).

Rounds were loaded with 3.2 to 3.8gr of Sport Pistol, 200gr Swamp Popper RN coated bullets, Fiocchi small pistol primers, 1.150 OAL. 10rnds of each charge weight

3.2gr produced an avg velocity of 732fps (146pf)

3.4gr produced an avg velocity of 763fps (152pf)

3.6gr produced an avg velocity of 791fps (158pf)

3.8gr produced an avg velocity of 816fps (163pf)

The 3.8gr charge weight showed no adverse signs on primers nor casings, no indications that it was approaching a max load or over pressurization, recoil was still very mild, groupings started to close up the closer I got to major PF. On a day with less humidity, I suspect the 3.8gr would've made major (barely), but we don't get a lot of those types of days here in the summer. I'm planning on loading up another set, going from 3.8-4.2gr, to see how things shake out in the next couple of days. 

I also did some testing with BBI 180s at 1.155 OAL, Fiocchi primers, and ran ladders from 4.6-5.0 with both N320 and SP just to see how close they were (same pistol used, normal match load is 4.8gr N320 with the BBI 180s).  Same charge weights ended up with similar velocities, with slight velocity edge to the N320, and better ES for the SP. To make 170pf with SP, charge weight was 4.8gr and it was VERY consistently producing right around 945fps. With a 4.8gr charge of N320, I was closer to 175pf. Recoil impulse between the two powders loaded identically showed no real discernable differences. 

Looking at making the switch to limited sometime soon.  How does everyone feel this is as a 40 powder?  Since I'm still learning is it normal to see powders not making power factor with a 40 cal 200gr load but still good for a 180gr load? Is it still a good powder?

Sorry I'm still doing research for 40.  I've been loading 9 for years now though and didn't see this issue with 9mm minor loads. I have about 8lb of sport pistol and would like to use the same powder.

57 minutes ago, CaliYeti said:

Looking at making the switch to limited sometime soon.  How does everyone feel this is as a 40 powder?  Since I'm still learning is it normal to see powders not making power factor with a 40 cal 200gr load but still good for a 180gr load? Is it still a good powder?

Sorry I'm still doing research for 40.  I've been loading 9 for years now though and didn't see this issue with 9mm minor loads. I have about 8lb of sport pistol and would like to use the same powder.

Never Mind, it looks like a huge majority use 180gr after doing more research.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:39 AM, GlockGuy1 said:

Update: 

Gun: STI Edge 5” 

Temp: 90 degrees

Bullet: Blue Bullets

Weight: 200 gr

OAL: 1.185”

Powder: Alliant Sport Pistol / 3.6 gr

AVG Velocity = 702 ?

Same gun  today:

200 gr Blue Bullets

1.175” OAL (Reduced from 1.185”)

3.8 gr  Sport Pistol = 765 FPS 

4.0 gr  Sport Pistol = 795 FPS 

No signs of over pressure. 

I'm betting the 200s with 4.0gr will make major for me in S Louisiana. I was going to load some up and test, but ended up having to deal with poison oak covering my arms, chest, and face. Now, I'm back at work for the next 2wks, so it'll have to wait until later for me to test any more loads.