Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
AlanHinMN

Alliant Sport Pistol

Recommended Posts

I just saw that this is a thing. I'm down to the last little bit of titegroup. Might have to switch. Powder valley has some 1lb and 8lb in stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been finding out about all kinds of new powders today. IMR has released their new unequal, and target powders as well as IMR blue, red, and green.  I also noticed that powder valley is carrying Shooters World powders.  Any info on any of them would be greatly appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2017 at 4:16 PM, FlightMedic376 said:

Just ordered 8 Lbs from powder valley.  From what I have been able to gather it should be a very good powder.

Once you've had a chance to work up and test some loads, it would be appreciated if you'd come back here and provide you thoughts/data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to post some Sport Pistol data in this thread instead of starting a new one. I had an opportunity to test some Sport Pistol powder in my custom 40 Limited gun. My "go too" load is 4.6 grains WST over a 180 grain cast HI TEK coated bullet. Felt recoil felt the same between the 2 powders. Accuracy went to Sport Pistol. Although not by much and a different day could have different results. I think WST is a little cleaner, however Sport Pistol isn't that dirty in my opinion. My conclusion, If I wanted 1 powder for both 9mm and 40. Sport Pistol would be my choice. 

 

Created: 08/26/17 01:46 PM
Description: 40 S&W Limited
Notes 1: 4.6 Grains Sport Pistol 
Notes 2: CCI SPP 1.185 COAL
Distance to Chrono(FT): 15.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.165
Bullet Weight(gr): 180.00
Temp: 87 °F
BP: 28.14 inHg
Altitude: 800.00
#          FPS  FT-LBS      PF
9    928      344.26  167.04  
8    932      347.23  167.76  
7    950      360.77  171.00  
6    938      351.72  168.84  
5    929      345.00  167.22  
4    957      366.11  172.26  
3    951      361.53  171.18  
2    943      355.48  169.74  
1    949      360.01  170.82  
Average: 941.9 FPS
SD: 10.6 FPS
Min: 928 FPS
Max: 957 FPS
Spread: 29 FPS
Shot/sec: 0.4
True MV: 949 FPS
Group Size (in): 0.00
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the data for 4.6 grains Sport Pistol.

 

Created: 08/26/17 01:48 PM
Description: 40 S&W Limited
Notes 1: 4.7 Grains Sport Pistol 
Notes 2: CCI SPP 1.185 COAL
Distance to Chrono(FT): 15.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.165
Bullet Weight(gr): 180.00
Temp: 88 °F
BP: 28.14 inHg
Altitude: 800.00
#          FPS  FT-LBS      PF
6    958      366.88  172.44  
5    951      361.53  171.18  
4    951      361.53  171.18  
3    975      380.01  175.50  
2    967      373.80  174.06  
1    969      375.35  174.42  
Average: 961.8 FPS
SD: 10.0 FPS
Min: 951 FPS
Max: 975 FPS
Spread: 24 FPS
Shot/sec: 0.3
True MV: 969 FPS
Group Size (in): 0.00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my last test batch. I stopped at 4.8 grains. For my 40 I see no reason to test a hotter load. 

 

Created: 08/26/17 01:49 PM
Description: 40 S&W Limited
Notes 1: 4.8 Grains Sport Pistol 
Notes 2: CCI SPP 1.185 COAL
Distance to Chrono(FT): 15.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.165
Bullet Weight(gr): 180.00
Temp: 86 °F
BP: 28.14 inHg
Altitude: 800.00
#          FPS  FT-LBS      PF
8    985      387.85  177.30  
7    989      391.00  178.02  
6    991      392.59  178.38  
5    974      379.23  175.32  
4    973      378.45  175.14  
3    965      372.26  173.70  
2    973      378.45  175.14  
1    969      375.35  174.42  
Average: 977.4 FPS
SD: 9.7 FPS
Min: 965 FPS
Max: 991 FPS
Spread: 26 FPS
Shot/sec: 0.3
True MV: 984 FPS
Group Size (in): 0.00
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks RAP!  Did you notice any grievances in how clean/dirty the gun was after testing?  Results look great.  Did you shoot any groups and if so which powder charge was most accurate?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi StuckinMS, I thought WST & N320 is cleaner. However, I had no problem with Sport Pistol either. I did notice a light black residue, but not much more than the other 2 powders mentioned. As far as accuracy, I did not perform an accuracy test. All shots were fired off hand at a target at 12 yards firing through the chronograph. I can say I could easily put several shots on a 1" paster with all loads tested at that distance. From my observation I think accuracy will be at least on par and possibly better than WST or N320.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RAP said:

Hi StuckinMS, I thought WST & N320 is cleaner. However, I had no problem with Sport Pistol either. I did notice a light black residue, but not much more than the other 2 powders mentioned. As far as accuracy, I did not perform an accuracy test. All shots were fired off hand at a target at 12 yards firing through the chronograph. I can say I could easily put several shots on a 1" paster with all loads tested at that distance. From my observation I think accuracy will be at least on par and possibly better than WST or N320.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent information!  I will be ordering some.  Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!

BTW, for what it's worth this is now my go to powder. I have used more of it shooting 9mm in carry optics and it has performed excellent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool!  We are thinking about getting into that division also.  Finding powders that give good results in multiple applications is key to keeping expenses and space under control. Powder may be a less expensive component, but every dime I save is another bullet bought.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the input. I already have Tightgroup, but went local today looking for Sport Pistol to try it but he didnt have any and hadn't heard of it yet. I gave him the info I've seen here with it doing well with 9mm and 40 and he was cool enough to order 4 bottles of it to put on his shelves to try it out and will call me once it's in. ??

 

However since he had one bottle of N320 left on the shelf I grabbed it because I wanted to try it compared to TG anyway. So when the Sport Pistol comes in I'll grab one of those too and try all three and see what goes. ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R1_Demon said:

However since he had one bottle of N320 left on the shelf I grabbed it because I wanted to try it compared to TG anyway.

Trying the Viht powders will lead you to the dark side. The dark side is a very tumultuous road to travel, but we do have cookies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Trying the Viht powders will lead you to the dark side. The dark side is a very tumultuous road to travel, but we do have cookies.

 

Whoooop!  Whooop!  I like cookies!  LOL! 

 

Problem is, I'm now trying to search and figure out what load data to use for N320 to make 40 major under a Hornady 180 XTP HP at 1.135 for my XDm 5.25". I haven't had much luck at all because everyone is loading coated bullets and way longer than me. Plus VV only shows info for lead TC 180 on their site for N320. So I have calculated it at 4.1 gr to start and 4.6 gr max going from their lead and HP data with N340. 

 

So I was going to try a ladder of 10 rounds each from 4.1 to 4.6 and chrono it to see where I'm at with the N320. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

 

Whoooop!  Whooop!  I like cookies!  LOL! 

 

Problem is, I'm now trying to search and figure out what load data to use for N320 to make 40 major under a Hornady 180 XTP HP at 1.135 for my XDm 5.25". I haven't had much luck at all because everyone is loading coated bullets and way longer than me. Plus VV only shows info for lead TC 180 on their site for N320. So I have calculated it at 4.1 gr to start and 4.6 gr max going from their lead and HP data with N340. 

 

So I was going to try a ladder of 10 rounds each from 4.1 to 4.6 and chrono it to see where I'm at with the N320. 

You're welcome

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

 

Whoooop!  Whooop!  I like cookies!  LOL! 

 

Problem is, I'm now trying to search and figure out what load data to use for N320 to make 40 major under a Hornady 180 XTP HP at 1.135 for my XDm 5.25". I haven't had much luck at all because everyone is loading coated bullets and way longer than me. Plus VV only shows info for lead TC 180 on their site for N320. So I have calculated it at 4.1 gr to start and 4.6 gr max going from their lead and HP data with N340. 

 

So I was going to try a ladder of 10 rounds each from 4.1 to 4.6 and chrono it to see where I'm at with the N320. 

You can't use data from a different powder (N340) and expect any similarities. It could / would be dangerous to assume that they are in any way similar. You wouldn't use load data for titegroup with Clays, so why would you use data for N340 to extrapolate a load for N320? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

You're welcome

 

 

Thank you sir. I have probably even seen this thread before but I missed it on my search due to the parameters I put in. :-/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

You can't use data from a different powder (N340) and expect any similarities. It could / would be dangerous to assume that they are in any way similar. You wouldn't use load data for titegroup with Clays, so why would you use data for N340 to extrapolate a load for N320? 

 

Well, I didn't exactly. I saw there was a 15% difference in the N340. Then I compared that to the N320 which also showed the same type of 15% difference. So that is why I then applied that 15% difference to the N320 again and that is how I came up with the 4.1-4.6 grain spread for the JHP.   But any which way, I'll go back over that link you provided. Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone have more to report back about their impressions with sport pistol in 40?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2017 at 9:53 AM, rowdyb said:

anyone have more to report back about their impressions with sport pistol in 40?

About to place an order for some.  Will let you know in a couple of weeks what my 2 cents is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...