Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2019 Canadian Nationals

stormbringer

Hey, Guys and gals.   It looks like my club (East Elgin Sportsmen's Association) along with our neighbouring club (Crumlin Sportsmen's association is putting in a bid for the 2019 Canadian IPSC Nationals.   We are looking at creating the largest match in Canadian History.  The current plan is 500 competitors,  28 stages and approximately 450 rounds.   I was curious as to the level (if any) of our American compatriots heading North to attend.  If there is sufficient interest I would put some work into creating a guide to border crossing etc (with the help of some great Americans like Roy and Mike who do it all the time).    We are located in London Ontario.  2 hours from Detroit or Buffalo.

Edited by stormbringer
detail added to title.

4 hours ago, stormbringer said:

If there is sufficient interest I would put some work into creating a guide to border crossing etc (with the help of some great Americans like Roy and Mike who do it all the time).    

I would be interested in this.

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Avg 16 rounds per stage?    We usually average 22-26 rounds per stage ...

Canada is all 10-round mags?

Do you have OPEN shooters?

The IPSC rules mandate a ratio of Long, Medium and Short courses of fire at 1:2:3 which hamstrings us.  
We are limited to 10 round magazines for handguns.
We certainly have a strong contingent of Open Shooters

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 3:35 PM, Dwane said:

Pretty sure it’s @ CFB Valcartier just outside QC city for 2019. 

That is correct, next three years are:

2019: Quebec City, Quebec at CFB Valcartier.
2020: Newmarket, Ontario - Sharon Gun Club.
2021: Dalhousie, New Brunswick - Restigouche Gun Club.

All on the August long weekend.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:11 PM, JupiterAdam said:

Would an American competitor be required to first complete the “Black Badge” course?  If so, how would that work -the day before the match start?

We had a few US shooters as well as some International shooters at this years Nationals, no Black Badge issue.

As members of USPSA in good standing, US competitors do not have to complete the black badge course.  I would be willing to help any USPSA member that wants to come over and shoot this match as  I will be attending this match. I have done the paperwork for most of the Americans the past few years and now many can do their own. The cost is only and additional $25 (Canadian $$) at this point to do the paperwork (ATT..Authority To Transport) and it's not that big of a deal. The hard part is getting your mags done right to only hold 10 rounds as everything in Canada is 10 rounds only. 

The Canadians go out of their way to help, they party like rock stars and you can actually drink the water in a foreign country that allows you to transport your own guns to a match. You never know who you might run into at this match...…...and the friends that I have made over there are priceless. Many top US shooters have made the journey north such as Chris Tilley, Jason Kuhn, Manny Bragg, Travis Gibson, Mike Gynra, Eric Kamps, Les Kismarti and many others. IPSC is just a bit different but it is still a great time and you will be glad that you made the effort. 

I’d make the trip. Besides 10 round mags, which I have, is there anything different regarding Open Division? All my mags are 140mm so the difference in the gauge shouldn’t matter. Anything else to worry about?

Also a guide to crossing the boarder would be very helpful. I’ve never left the country with a firearm before.

Your mags would be fine...…..power factor is different as major is 170 versus our 165 but that shouldn't be a big deal for an open gun. Other than that, Open is Open...just limited to 10 rounds mags in Open. Sent you a PM with a point by point walkthrough overview on what you would need to do to attend a match. it is a lot like international basketball versus the NBA. It is still about putting the ball through the hoop but with small differences. Plus you meet a lot of great people and see parts of the world you might not have without going for a match.

3 minutes ago, ROY NEAL said:

Your mags would be fine...…..power factor is different as major is 170 versus our 165 but that shouldn't be a big deal for an open gun. Other than that, Open is Open...just limited to 10 rounds mags in Open. Sent you a PM with a point by point walkthrough overview on what you would need to do to attend a match. it is a lot like international basketball versus the NBA. It is still about putting the ball through the hoop but with small differences. Plus you meet a lot of great people and see parts of the world you might not have without going for a match.

IPSC Open major PF is 160. Bring your cheater ammo...:devil:

16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

IPSC Open major PF is 160. Bring your cheater ammo...:devil:

That seems odd to me that there would be such a big difference in open and limited major power factors. Do you happen to know the reason for that? And to steer back to the conversation, is it better to drive or fly to the competition as in fly somewhere in the states and drive up or just fly international?

On 10/5/2018 at 10:21 PM, Chili said:

That is correct, next three years are:

2019: Quebec City, Quebec at CFB Valcartier.
2020: Newmarket, Ontario - Sharon Gun Club.
2021: Dalhousie, New Brunswick - Restigouche Gun Club.

All on the August long weekend.

How/where did you find this??  I’ve heard diddly squat on the 2020 Nationals  . Not that I’m a member of Sharon  or anything....  

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

How/where did you find this??  I’ve heard diddly squat on the 2020 Nationals  . Not that I’m a member of Sharon  or anything....  

Was posted on CGN by the  IPSC Canada Regional Director.