Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder/Grain combos

Lilmick

Hey guys, been shooting limited for about two years now. Switching to open in the very near future and was wondering if I could get some powder/bullet grain combos for 38 super comp. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Lilmick

There are basically 2 options in projie type:

jhp or RN cmj (some shoot fmj with exposed base but that will create leading in the comp). Jhp are the premium option but cost a little more generally. 

Once you choose profile then there are really also just 2 weight options:

115gn and 124/125gn both are popular. Try some of each weight. 

For powder 3n38 is the premium option. Clean, meters well, plenty of gas, low (for major) pressure. It's a great powder but a little pricey. Hs6 is a popular 'budget' option. 

A load i like:

124gn RN cmj, 9.1gn 3n38, 1.235 oal, fed srp in starline sc brass. Makes just on 170 pf in my kkm barrels which have 3 popple holes and 3 chamber comp. 

to develop a load you need to start a bit lower and test with a chrono. 

But 3n38 with a 115 or 124gn is the Cadillac of 38 super major loads. :)

Edited by BeerBaron

5 minutes ago, BeerBaron said:

There are basically 2 options in projie type:

jhp or RN cmj (some shoot fmj with exposed base but that will create leading in the comp). Jhp are the premium option but cost a little more generally. 

Once you choose profile then there are really also just 2 weight options:

115gn and 124/125gn both are popular. Try some of each weight. 

For powder 3n38 is the premium option. Clean, meters well, plenty of gas, low (for major) pressure. It's a great powder but a little pricey. Hs6 is a popular 'budget' option. 

A load i like:

124gn RN cmj, 9.1gn 3n38, 1.235 oal, fed srp in starline sc brass. Makes just on 170 pf in my kkm barrels which have 3 popple holes and 3 chamber comp. 

to develop a load you need to start a bit lower and test with a chrono. 

But 3n38 with a 115 or 124gn is the Cadillac of 38 super major loads. :)

I really appreciate it. Going from limited 40 to 38sc open is a whole new world. Thanks for the info that is a great starting point for which I will use! 

I user a124 hp with 10.5 grains of aa#7 trubor comp with three popple holes in barrel,  pre holes was 10.3 gr. Originally was 7.6 grains of autocomp same bullet weight.  Oal of 1.235