Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You don't have to shoot major for a comp to work

toothandnail

6 minutes ago, superdude said:

Anything that diverts gas upward helps to reduce muzzle rise, even minor loads.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/recoil-reduction-ports-vs-compensator/

True, I agree. but read most any Open/comp thread the majority will claim a comp does nothing unless shooting major.

Edited by toothandnail

if you don't believe a comp is working on a minor load.. next time someone shoots a minor load in a comp gun.. put your hand just above the comp when someone else is shooting it .. you may be unpleasantly surprised..

8 hours ago, toothandnail said:

most  Open/comp thread claim a comp does nothing unless shooting major.

I believe that most claim the comp is not being optimized by sub major loads,

not that it does Nothing ...

Most claim that you get better results with one major powder over the other.

Big difference.

Not that they're doing Nothing, just not doing enough.    :) 

You can also see how much a compensator works even with the .22.  Less muzzle rise.  I like the difference and use one on my 22/45 for Steel Challenge.  Years ago I could feel the difference using my 1911 in .45 acp.  The more pressure you present, the better the comp works.

I believe that most claim the comp is not being optimized by sub major loads,
not that it does Nothing ...

Most claim that you get better results with one major powder over the other.

Big difference.

Not that they're doing Nothing, just not doing enough.    [emoji4] 

Winner winner!

Even on something like a 22 rifle, a compensator still makes there be less muzzle movement.

Shooting my minor ammo back to back through my single stack gun and then through my open gun the open gun is definitely flatter. And it's not the weight, because my single stack is heavier haha

Well, I'll disagree with some of what has been posted.  I have compensators on several pistols.  My first was on 22s.  Some work better than others, but they all do work.  The best registers a slight upward dot movement with CCI AR Tactical rounds.

I next tried one on a 1911 45.  I was told I was an idiot, because there was not enough gas to work the comp.  There was, even using fast powders for sub-major loads.  The dot never levt the Burris FF3 glass.

I have two 40sw open pistols.  The 2011 will only run major loads.  The open upper on my CZ TS will run either.  Using 155gr Rainier plated over 3.5gr Alliant e3, I make 131PF and there is zero dot movement.  There are no poppels and the comp is a customized Tanfo comp with 3 chambers and 7 ports.

Edited by zzt