Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun for 3-gun

paraman1

I am interested in building a limited shotgun for 3-gun and would like some informed opinions on what mods to make . I will most likely be using a Remington model 1100 as the platform as they seem to be the most available in my price range . I am thinking of going with a 20 gauge but since most 3-gunners use a 12 I am willing to listen to thought and comments on why one may be better than the other . Is a screw in choke system required ? Or just a nice thing to have ? I know that everyone is putting on an extended mag tube but what are the other must haves for competition ? What are the weak links in this shotgun and some of the modifications one could make to help beef up its weak points or make it more reliable ? I have hunted upland game birds for years but realize the requirements of a competition shotgun will be vastly different . Thanks in advance for any help on this subject .

I'm no expert in this, but had toyed with a Rem 1100 before.  I would recommend the 12 ga, just because of payload, and I don't believe anyone makes extended tubes for 20 ga.  Also, it seems that somebody would have the 12 ga bird shots on sale at any one time.  Screw in chokes are not necessary but good to have, most of the time you'd be using modified choke tube anyway.  A carrier release after market (Easy Loader) is a must.  The Remington carrier/bolt release button is way too small, even for hunting purposes (try to activate it with winter gloves on).  The only possible weaklink of the 1100 is its gas system, must keep it in top operating condition, or risk having ejection/loading hang ups.  A 21" Rem choked barrel with rifle sights is the ticket for 3 gun, good for shots and great with slugs.  Have fun with this project!

12 is the only way as almost all accessories on the market are for it. I and a lot of people would shoot a 20 if this wasn't true. If you buy ammo compare prices also.

You could do it but there are reasons, I guess 98%?, of the people shoot a 12.

FWIW-

Instead of trying to build one up to specs, why not wait until the new Rem Competition Blaster comes out.  The MSRP looks high, but I'm sure their price will be lower.  That saves alot of work and pain, since the gun is ready to rock.  Has all the features you would be looking for.  And by the time you total up all the stuff you try/buy(we all do that, looking for that edge), it will probably work out to around the same price anyway.  Just a thought!

Pacman is correct on this one well so is everyone.  But the way pacman had his 1100 set up is the way i've got mine set up right now and it works great for eveything from 3-gun all year long to doves in the fall to deer in the winter.  The way i've got mine set up is with a 21" barrel with rem chokes and fiber optic sights. I've also have the easy loader on it. I use a 8+1 extension tube.  Some people add side saddles to hold a few extra rounds.  Hope this helps you.

The extended mag tube from choate will work fine on a 20 gauge (I know 2 different people who have used it without problems) , and their are sidesaddles available in 20 gauge . I may have to buy 2 sidesaddles and figure out a way to mount them as I have only seen the 4 round version . The Rem competition master is not going to be available until March at the soonest and probably will start out fairly expensive before the price finally stabilizes .I had thought about the payload issue but since I have never actually shot a 3 gun match I am not aware of the ranges involved so that may be a determining factor . Also was curious about whether the pistol grip is helpful at all and why its helpful as all the shotgun work I have ever done involves a standard stock .

You may want to try Briley Mfg.  They may make a mag extension(and other goodies) specifically for 20 ga/Rem.  Alot of the things they have are NOT listed on their website (www.briley.com).  Woudn't hurt to give em a call.

I am thinking of switching to limited and have an 11/87.

On looking at the rule book (IPSC) it states that limited shotguns cannot 'have modifications /attachments to the loading floor plate', and assumed this meant 'easy loaders' were not allowed - am I wrong?

If I am and they are allowed I will stop trying to get a new trigger mech!

Thanks

Paraman1,

Thanks for the wake up call!  

In the UKPSA rule book it says "the rule book states" the modification I mentioned, but I have just checked the USPSA rule book and you are quite right it does not appear.........

Luckily I know the guy who has the answers, or who I hope knows them, and will clarify it. I know my shooting will go downhill if I lose that easyloader.

Thanks for your advice

DVC

It appears that the hands of fate helped make my decision for me as to what caliber I will be using . I found a Remington 1100 12 gauge used for 225.00 bucks that is in great condition other than the fact that someone cut the barrel down to 23 inches and now it has no chokes . I already added a Choate 9 round extension tube and am planning to add a easyloader and a sidesaddle as soon as funds allow .