Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to speed up transitions or move faster

gmg

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:22 PM, gmg said:

Ok, here's the background. I'm 56 years young and will be an A class real soon. I'm getting my butt kicked in the longer stages because the younger guys move faster than I do and I'm losing valuable time. My accuracy is pretty good but could always be better. My question is, does anybody know what I can do to move faster. Are there any drills I can do, any exercises or look for a trainer of some type, or just forget about it because I'm too old. I know I need to loose weight from 235 to 200 at least but Iam not chubby by any means. 

What to do?????

There is really an art to this. One of my favorite people to watch is Max Michele.  If you want he starts to move, depending on the target array, just as his last shot is fired.  Then when he arrives at the next location his gun is up and he will fire just as soon as it is legal to do so.  He is ready to go when he gets to where he is going.  JoJo also does the same.  Now although they are both fast and its doubtful we will be that fast you can cut your time down quite a bit by being ready to shoot when you get to where you want to go.  Hope this helps

This is my first year in USPSA and I am in B class CO. 48 years old and 250lbs.

I really want to end my season at A but it is doubtful.

Shot a match today and once again came in 2nd in CO. I did bring my son along and he videoed the whole match.

While I made some mistakes today, the video tells it all.

I have no explosive speed but the advice about shooting sooner is awesome. My videos show for me the biggest improvement will be entering and exiting a target presentation.  Explosive speed is going to take more work and a little longer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2017 at 8:25 PM, Broncman said:

This is my first year in USPSA and I am in B class CO. 48 years old and 250lbs.

I really want to end my season at A but it is doubtful.

Shot a match today and once again came in 2nd in CO. I did bring my son along and he videoed the whole match.

While I made some mistakes today, the video tells it all.

I have no explosive speed but the advice about shooting sooner is awesome. My videos show for me the biggest improvement will be entering and exiting a target presentation.  Explosive speed is going to take more work and a little longer.

Put your cleats or Salomons on and go try it in your back yard. Pick a consistent marker at each end of a 15-20 foot movement and airgun a shot at each end while you film it on your phone. Review it, run faster, and review it again until actually looks fast.

Most of us have never run a track meet as an adult. We actually have no idea how fast we can actually run, so movement at 50% of our honest top speed feels really zippy. It actually isn’t, but it feels that way.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I am setting up a "chute" at my private range. A long barrier with presentations every 10 feet and some on both sides. I watched the videos of a few Masters at that match and they all shot on the move. Hardly any of them stopped completely in these areas.

I started and stopped at each presentation. I breifly practiced this the other day. It takes a lot of time to stop and start.

• 2 months later...

One other thing I am discovering. If one shoots with both eyes open then the transitions are faster, at least for me. Doing a Blake drill there is a difference of .20 seconds total doing it with eyes closed vs eyes open on the average with the same scoring results.

LOL I'm 68, I get a kick out of the younggins complaining about their aches and pains and telling me I'm too dry when they a sweating like crazy in the heat.  You know who I'm talking about the ones that walk up to shoot and their pants look all wet!

By the end of the match they are toast.

That said, the key is not how fast you get there it is how fast you get there ready to shoot.   Think about it then watch some folks, they get to the spot plant look at the target then raise their gun, that is slow, a couple steps before I get to that exact spot I want to be in my eyes are on target my gun is up in shooting position and it goes bang most times before my trailing foot has settled.  This is more for those working towards A.

My fitness starts with stairs, who likes running, ok Forrest, I do 100 floors of stairs 3 to 5 days a week, I did 20,000 floors in one year.   Next up is upper body and core strength, dumbells every which way, then some  Planks, and side planks, much better than crunches, and chair squats, and push ups.

My observation of an "A" vs an "M" is consistency that is probably what needs improvement.

When you start using age as an excuse, just go ahead put your head between you legs and kiss you axx goodbye.  I don't use my age as an excuse for anything, I can do anything now I could do at 20, only better since I am way smarter than I thought I was at 20.  Well except for hearing, that I need aids for.  LOL

• 2 months later...

You could work on stage planning. Congrats on almost A. There's a guy at my club here who is a large guy and doesn't move fast but he's constantly top 3 because his planning and efficiency are near perfect. It's actually amazing. He has great runs but he doesn't look fast doing it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot with some older guys (not that i'm young at 60) and their foot speed is nothing to brag about. However, they plan stages well and execute their plan. The biggest thing though is that they never stop moving/progressing through the stage (except of course when shooting numerous targets thru a window etc.). They are ready to fire the moment they reach the target, they trust themselves to make the shots and transition immediately.

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2017 at 3:14 AM, biglou13 said:

I agree with the guys above

but @ 56 start slow learn perfect form

i'd start with air squat.... Learn perfect form

box squats 

jumping squats box jumps

Weighted back squat

front sqaut

skip rope

double unders

shuttle run short sprints quick stop/box sprints

but I do love the dead lift.      But do yourself a favor start light learn perfect form!!!

you really don't need to go super heavy 

progress so to sumo dead lift high pulls 

then cleans

from here your getting into the realm of oly lifting.  

Im not against serious  oly lifting but it's a huge time comitment to get proficient. I'd rather be shooting

once your cleans are good  ...........     

My favorite........

tire flips!!!   Depending on strength and  tire weight.  The clean style flip is explosive and is an oly core move ish .   Not to mention it is super satisfying to flip a tire.

Much of of the above exercises  are progressive movements toward the more complex/ compound

For this sport,  I would simplify it down to to shuttle runs/ box sprints,  tire flips  clean and jerk  jumping rope, .....  With ocassional pus up pull up, kettle bell work , heavy farmers walks.   ( the later 2 help with grip stregnth) 

Good stuff here!