Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre-B disco help

scroadkill

ok, so i bought the pre-b disco for my sp01 shadow from czc.. (quick shipping btw) - and left it in the drawer for a few days trying to build the courage to give it a go.. not tuning mind you - just drop in and pray. After a few hours of web-homework I jumped in head first today.

lessons learned:
I thought for sure I lost the right side safety detent spring.. I thought I would need to order one - but there ain't one. the right channel looks like it needs one but  it doesnt.

Then I though I would have to call for help on getting the safety all the way back together.. turns out there is a trick with the spring on the left side detent needed to get the safety all the way in.

Once the new disco and safety were in place I measured the pre-travel .. It was about 10mm and now it is 0mm. The trigger sits way back. So I'm thinking good news.  w/o the slide on I cocked the hammer and pulled trigger letting it hit my hand - no problem. double action - no problem. safety works. so far so good. I put the slide on and rack it.. and the hammer stays back and the trigger wont release hammer.  I disassemble safety and pull out sear cage, and repeat assembly  (much easier now) - but same issue.  It is like the trigger screw (I lost months ago) was too far in.

Can anyone shoot me a tip or links w/ pics or video what to so.

Im getting close..

disassemble, 12 strokes on disco face with file, reassemble, check pre-travel, put on side, dry fire, rack slide - fail to reset, and....repeat.

I'm on 5th disassembly now and now while trigger wont reset from the slide all i have to do is barely breath on the hammer with my thumb to reset the trigger.  pre-travel is about 2mm in SA.

and closer still .. 7th iteration done. trigger barely resets when held down and slide is racked and trigger allowed to travel forward - but its like it only barely clicks.. not the firm audible click i expect. if I pull the hammer back with my thumb it fully resets - nice and loud.
I suspect I need to file off some more material form the disco. pre-travel is now 3mm ish in SA

Filing technique - I'm putting the disconnector in a vice and I use the little ears that stick out putting them flush against the top of the vice to keep the face I'm filing level and square - and then I use a wide flat file on the disconnector face. 12 strokes of the file per iteration with medium cautious pressure.

any advice from the veterans here before iteration #8 would be appreciated.

Not sure on the file as I use a mill.

Double check everything else in your gun is correct, like trigger bar lifter spring, trigger return spring, sear assembly, every thing smooth and so forth.

But yeah, you're discovering the joy of hand fitting a part when you have no previous experience or reference point.

Likely not the same problem as you are finding, but when I did mine I caused a problem by doing a full strip and cleaning the gun in an ultrasonic cleaner, then installing the pre-b disco while putting the gun back together.  I had a lot of trouble with the trigger not resetting, and I kept filing at my disco like the forum posts on the internet say to.  However it turned out that the problem wasn't with the disco, it was with the trigger return spring / trigger transfer bar dragging on the frame due to no more lube from the ultrasonic cleaning.  I put some oil between the transfer bar and frame and it suddenly worked.

TLDR: try some oil between trigger transfer bar and frame.

• 2 weeks later...

Does putting in the CZ pre-b disco still allow for some take-up with a tactile "wall"? I'm looking to reduce the pre-travel on the single action pull but would still like some take-up with a definitive wall...

The only change it makes to the trigger is to reduce the amount of pre-travel on the single action pull.  If it is fit really well there might be too little pre-travel for your taste, but in that case you can modify the disco to add pre-travel back in.