Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo Stock III compared to the CZ Shadow 2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, TA338 said:

Tanfos have in Europe a long and well earned repuation of cracking frames and slides when you shoot thousands of rounds in competition. CZs break only slide stops from time to time.

Tanfos can be made to work extremely well with Eric Grauffel custom parts but that does not help with the frames.

In Europe Tanfos were losing markets to CZ big time already before Shadow 2. CZs just plain work.

I've had a Witness Steel small frame since 2000 with no problems. My new Stock ll is a tank in comparison. I hope you're wrong.

5 hours ago, TA338 said:

Tanfos have in Europe a long and well earned repuation of cracking frames and slides when you shoot thousands of rounds in competition. CZs break only slide stops from time to time.

Tanfos can be made to work extremely well with Eric Grauffel custom parts but that does not help with the frames.

In Europe Tanfos were losing markets to CZ big time already before Shadow 2. CZs just plain work.

Steve Galka has cracked two guns and replaced them  (EAA were not easy to get to do the right thing). It has been reported that thjs problem has been fixed. My source for that info was Henning. 

I've not seen any damage or need for replacement parts due to breakage other than the adjustable rear on a Stock 2 other than springs. I personally had an extractor now out die to a case rupture and that gun is going strong with a new extractor. 

In my opinion, Tanfos are quite durable.

The price point in Australia is a bit different. The Shadow 2 is retailing for $1550 with 2 mags, the Stock 2 Xtreme $2000 (4 mags), Stock 2 X $2800. (normal Stock 2s have not been imported for some years).

I have shot Aus versions of the stock 2 for a few years. I like the gun even if im restricted to IPSC legal parts. Even so with a bit of work and the Xtreme parts you can get an decent trigger in a Tanfo, not as nice as a CZ but still ok. 

I have bought and since sold my Shadow 2. It is a very nice gun and runs very well out of the box, but i have found a properly worked Tanfo to be more to my liking. Given what has been discussed on this thread re price points on the two guns in the US, I would be buying a New Stock 2 and fitting it with Patriot Defence parts. I think that’s the way to go. However in Australia I recommend buying the Shadow 2 as it is signifcantly cheaper and really needs no real work. 

My 2cents 

On 3/31/2017 at 8:50 PM, Twinkie said:

Steve Galka has cracked two guns and replaced them  (EAA were not easy to get to do the right thing). It has been reported that thjs problem has been fixed. My source for that info was Henning. 

I've not seen any damage or need for replacement parts due to breakage other than the adjustable rear on a Stock 2 other than springs. I personally had an extractor now out die to a case rupture and that gun is going strong with a new extractor. 

In my opinion, Tanfos are quite durable.

Just for the record, I am friends with Steve, and he is shooting major PF hand loads, with a pretty quick powder, ramshot comp if I recall. I also don't recall him having to get two warranty replacements, I know he bough a 'backup' right before sending in the first one that had the crack. I admit EAA did drag their feet on it for a while. He actually just broke an extractor at the match last week, but honestly, its an easy part to keep a spare. In my experience, I would not consider Tanfos prone to failure, certainly not minor PF ones. My Stock II has never broken anything,  but I only have maybe 5-6k through it.

The price point in Australia is a bit different. The Shadow 2 is retailing for $1550 with 2 mags, the Stock 2 Xtreme $2000 (4 mags), Stock 2 X $2800. (normal Stock 2s have not been imported for some years).

I have shot Aus versions of the stock 2 for a few years. I like the gun even if im restricted to IPSC legal parts. Even so with a bit of work and the Xtreme parts you can get an decent trigger in a Tanfo, not as nice as a CZ but still ok. 

I have bought and since sold my Shadow 2. It is a very nice gun and runs very well out of the box, but i have found a properly worked Tanfo to be more to my liking. Given what has been discussed on this thread re price points on the two guns in the US, I would be buying a New Stock 2 and fitting it with Patriot Defence parts. I think that’s the way to go. However in Australia I recommend buying the Shadow 2 as it is signifcantly cheaper and really needs no real work. 

My 2cents 

Let me guess the Stock 2 points better? It's one of THE best pointing guns with minimal front sight noise in my opinion. And I've had Glock 34, Limited Pro, 6" Cheely 2011, 5.4" Cheely and 5" Cheely. It's on par with my 5" 2011 with metal grip.

1 hour ago, Stician said:

Let me guess the Stock 2 points better? It's one of THE best pointing guns with minimal front sight noise in my opinion. And I've had Glock 34, Limited Pro, 6" Cheely 2011, 5.4" Cheely and 5" Cheely. It's on par with my 5" 2011 with metal grip.

Its a combination of a few factors for me. Yes I the Stock 2 certainly points better and is better balanced for me. I find the bull barrel to be a big advantage. Once you get past 20m the stock 2 is more accurate by a decent margin. I attribute that to the lock up of the bull barrel. Also as the slide weighs less (due to the bull barrel) I find it easier to shoot the Stock 2 faster, particularly weak hand strong hand. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tanfos may be durable today but because there was this epidemic failure in QC 5-6 years ago and the local market is small Tanfo never got back to the game in FInland. Their prices are +50% more than comparable CZ´s and because ther lousy QC reputation very seldom any serious competitor buys new Tanfos here anymore. If you buy value for your money you buy CZ here. If you buy ultimate durability and customability and want to compete on the top 10 in Standard or Open you buy a customized STI. Tanfos lost the game and due to our quite strict gun laws nobody wants to buy a lemon that can not be fixed.

Those still shooting .40 kal Tanfos do tell me that their gun needs to be rebuilt (mainly triggers,sights and magazines) more or less every 5000 rounds. Maybe they load too heavy loads or do not know what they are doing but have heard the same story from several reputable shooters having shot Tanfos for many years. They still shoot Tanfos because it fits their hands well and the trigger can be prepped very well. This is a bit like Porsche vs Ferrari for daily use. Both go fast but with Porsche (CZ) you can do your daily stuff without having a personal mechanic with you at all times. With Ferrari (Tanfoglio)  you have to hire a personal mechanic (Eric Grauffel) to keep your car (gun) running proeprly.

If your Tanfo works enjoy it then do not worry about it. Maybe they fixed the issues.

I think it's more about which parts break more often on which gun.
How are triggers and mags needing to be rebuilt?
I'm sure it exists, but I don't remember reading about how someone needed to rebuild a trigger here.
Trigger return springs, and extractors (both low cost drop in items) seem to be the biggest issues.
Same with CZ but with trigger return springs and slide stops.
Tanfo rear sight has been an issue for some (seems many of these are simply due to the vertical adjustment screw loosening... though some have indeed broke (perhaps spurred on by the first issue).
Today, both are very reliable and extremely accurate guns.
Here Tanfos generally cost less. If they cost 50% more somewhere else, you know I would have a CZ (at least now that they reportedly have a larger grip).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 hours ago, TA338 said:

Both go fast but with Porsche (CZ) you can do your daily stuff without having a personal mechanic with you at all times. With Ferrari (Tanfoglio)  you have to hire a personal mechanic (Eric Grauffel) to keep your car (gun) running proeprly.

Interesting to hear how different areas are.

We are now VERY fortunate to have Patriot Defense making parts for Tanfoglios.  they are now becoming much more popular around here. No doubt due to success in top level competitions.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:29 AM, johnbu said:

Interesting to hear how different areas are.

We are now VERY fortunate to have Patriot Defense making parts for Tanfoglios.  they are now becoming much more popular around here. No doubt due to success in top level competitions.

Patriot Defence are making parts that fix a lot the issues associated with Tanfoglios.  If only they could be officially affiliated with Tanfoglio and make the parts IPSC production legal. There would be a lot of people throwing out their Xtreme parts lol

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

A better comparison would be a custom shop shadow 2 and a patriot defense s2/3. 

I really see no point in the Xtreme Models if you shoot USPSA. The PD parts are producing much better results than the Xtreme parts. Given the price point in the US for a new S2/3 you could put PD parts into a new gun for less than an Xtreme. If you shoot IPSC then thats a different story. 

43 minutes ago, Jezz said:

I really see no point in the Xtreme Models if you shoot USPSA. The PD parts are producing much better results than the Xtreme parts. Given the price point in the US for a new S2/3 you could put PD parts into a new gun for less than an Xtreme. If you shoot IPSC then thats a different story. 

Agreed.

I ask out of pure laziness. Some people have  messed with enough tupperware guns, revolvers, ARs and shotguns to not really want to dive into yet another new platform. And I am wondering which would be more worthwhile to just pick up and run. Out of the box given somewhat equitable cost and work put into them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2017 at 6:50 PM, Jezz said:

I'm strongly considering selling my Shadow 2 as well. Thought I'd be the first on the buy / sell. ;)

Edited by Bucky

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

I'm strongly considering selling my Shadow 2 as well. Thought I'd be the first on the buy / sell. ;)

Sorry. @B_RAD beat you on that one by about a month... so don't feel bad about selling your Shadow 2.

@MuddAndStuff If you don't enjoy the tinkering process on a metal framed gun like a CZ or Tanfo - wherein you spend a month or so taking it apart and getting to know it and how to tune it to your ammo and handling preferences - then buying one from @PatriotDefense would definitely be the way I would go. I hear their turnaround times are really good as well!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Kind of like Fords and Chevys on race day at the old drag strip.

A black '57 Chevy pulls to the line. It is bone stock, other than cutouts and a pair of cheater slicks. 

Along side sits a new '57 Ford with a 3/4 race cam, headers, and 4.11 rear end.

The tree goes green and in a roar of burning rubber, they tear down the quarter mile. 

Both cars are side by side at half-track, but the Ford is gaining, and at the finish line wins the race by a car length.

Painted on the side of the Ford we see the words: "Tanfoglio's Speed Shop".  :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

But, back in 57 the Chevy won 95% of the time !!!

I can't deny that. 

Which would you rather have, a completely restored '57 Bel Air, four-speed, fuel injection, hardtop; or a new Tanfo Stock II? 

I'd rather have the Chevy. I've already got a new Tanfo Stock II.  :lol:

Edited by MikieM