Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip (thumb placement) for double-action rimfire revolver?

Hotchkiss

I shoot an S&W 617 rimfire revolver in action shooting and I have a question about my grip. I'm right-handed and have always gripped revolvers with my left thumb over my right thumb in a traditional "revolver grip." Recently someone suggested I employ a typical semi-auto pistol grip with both thumbs pointed forward, with my right thumb on top.

It feels rather odd to me, but it seems like it has the potential to offer more control. As a .22 rimfire, there's not much recoil to control so I'm wondering if this might be the way to go? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Keep in mind that the autos and revolvers are shaped differently.

In our sport it is beneficial to get as high a grip as possible. With an auto pistol the slide limits how high we can get the dominant hand. The dominant thumb is typically held in a raised position to allow more room for the support hand to grip the pistol higher, this gives the typical "right thumb on top of left thumb" grip.

Revolvers have no slide. This allows the dominant hand to grip much higher, the hammer spur nearly touches the web of my thumb. The support hand can not get nearly this high, so the support hand is lower on the revolver than the dominant hand. I've shot revolvers with my thumbs all over the place thru the years as my grip has changed. I still shoot my J-frame with my left thumb over the back of my right hand (there's not much go to hold onto). Like an auto, the thumbs don't contribute as much to the grip as the other fingers. Get your hands as high up on the revo as possible, your grip and thumbs will vary depending on your hands and the stocks you have on the gun.

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

...Get your hands as high up on the revo as possible, your grip and thumbs will vary depending on your hands and the stocks you have on the gun.

I already do that.  But there's still the option of clamping my left thumb over my right thumb in a "traditional revolver grip", versus both thumbs pointed straight ahead with my right thumb on top.

Either way the web of my hand stays at high as possible with respect to the centerline of the bore.

In one of the Powder Factor Show videos that is an intro to revolver the person doing the video states that he grips the revolver same as an auto-loader. So I thought I would try it. It doesn't work for me, and I gave it a fair trial. As other posters AZShooter and PatJones mentioned right thumb over left is what works for me. Having tried all kinds of grip techniques this is what I settled on. I wish to add that my right thumb tip is pointed in a downward direction. The best thing you can do is try everything but in the end I think you will settle on the right thumb over the left. Also don't be afraid to try different stocks. In my particular case I have small hands long fingers. The molded in finger groves on the standard S&W stocks don't fit my hand. I have either filed off the groves on standard stocks with a rasp or replaced them with stocks that have no groves.

I don't compete with the revolver but have shot them for years.  I currently have to qualify quarterly with my J frame.   I am a right handed shooter and I have found the left thumb clamped over the back of the right hand works best for me for rapid fire and slow fire.  

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if it plays as much a role with a .22 revolver however with my .38/.357 if i maintain my thumbs extended and parallel as i do with a semi auto i get burned from the high temperature discharge at the front of the cylinder

here's a nice little review by Jerry Miculek

http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html

Edited by wanttolearn