Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Enterprise Rifles- Anyone shooting one?

Nick Weidhaas

Hello,

If you are shooting a JP AR could you let me know how you like it and your experience with the company.  I'm considering one of their new CTR rifle or their level 1 tactical rifle.  There is about a $300 difference between the two rifles.  I'm new to 3 gun and JP's products.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick-

I have a JP Competition upper with the 20" Lightweight barrel (1:8). I love it. It functions flawlessly, and is extremely accurate (1/2 MOA, or better with good handloads, 1 Moa with most factory ball).

With the low mass operating system, and JP muzzle brake, I get a super lightweight rifle that also has minimal recoil impulse. I use a 3.5-10 Leupold variable variable with a JPoint dot sight mounted on the scope. An ACOG, or CQT would be a perfect match for this type of rifle.

I have the full on JP muzzle brake, and the Large handguard that covers the gas block. The "Tactical" (or Cooley) muzzle brake along with the slimmer handguard (that doesn't cover the gas block) would give you a rifle that works for Limited, or Open class.

I give the JP rifle 5 stars. John Paul also takes real good care of his customers.

jp_ar-15.jpg

Regards,

Nick,

The people and products at JP are strictly "First Class" and you will not have a problem with either.  If you should have a problem with one of their products they will make it right.  I met and spoke, at length, with John Paul and he is a great and knowledgeable guy.  If you can afford the prices there is no reason not to buy his products.

Leo

Thanks for the feedback.  Anyone running JP's LW 18" bbl with a BC comp?  If I buy a JP rifle, I've been cleared to use it at work as well as compete in 3 gun.  The 18" bbl., would work better for entry and not much longer than the 16" bbls we run on our M4's now.

Thanks again,

Nick

I have a JP open top end.  It is ACCURATE and reliable!  I'm not so sure about the low mass bolt carrier, I've heard of wear issues and a friend of mine has been unable to get his to work 100%.  The Cooley comp is trick, probably the best limited legal comp although the difference between it and a Jakenator or Miculek is nil.

As for the complete rifles, a high proportion of really good 3 gunners use them:  Kurt (thorn in my side) Miller, Tony Holmes (who won the last 3 gun Nationals open rifle with one), Don Bednorz, Bennie Cooley, Eddie Rhodes, Todd Salmon and I think Bruce Piatt does as well, not to mention John himself. That's pretty good company to be shooting with!  Plus JP actively support 3 gunning unlike many other AR makers.

If you are getting a JP rifle for work, make sure that you get the stainless bolt carrier instead of the alloy one. John Paul specifically does not recommend the alloy carrier for high reliability applications.

BTW, John Paul also makes a super-lightweight version of his lightweight competition barrel. It might be just the ticket for a shorter rifle setup.

Regards,

I went with the 18" barrel because a local club had a regular house stage, so I can say it fits the bill for what you are talking about.  I don't know what the "official" line would be about using their crisp and light triggers on duty.  You might want to ask.

I had the 20" barrel at first and sent it back to be retrofitted for 18", and to have the lightweight contour work done under the handguards.  Very nimble and balanced now.  Epilogue - with factory ammo it shoots exactly the same as a buddy's Grade 2 JP at 100 yards, so nothing was lost in the accuracy department.

To follow up on BamBam's comment. I am the "buddy" he refers to. His Grade one has some advantage over my Grade 2. His is less finicky about ammo than mine. Don't get me wrong. As long as you use the correct ammo it is flawless. The low mass bolt carrier is very sweet, and I think it does keep it flatter, but it will make the rifle more picky on what ammo it will feed. I would have no other AR than a JP, and I have a lot of rounds through a lot of different ARs. .....................YOU WILL BE HAPPY!!!!!

(Edited by Tony Chiavacci at 12:42 am on Jan. 13, 2003)

A big thank you to everyone who responded.  I think it will be the JP CTR-02 with an 18" LW bbl and BC comp.  I'm going to get the TOS (Tactical Operating System) in lieu of the LMOS (Low Mass Operating System).  I guess JP is offering a special on this rifle right now @ $1995, which is $200 off the normal price.

Thanks again,

Nick-

I have the new super light weight 18" barrel with the JP Handguard and TA-11 ACOG.  All I have to say is WOW !!!  I stayed with a standard bolt because of a buddies setup is nothing but problems.  I can get great groups with the acog at 100yds.  Dime size !!!

******  Six stars here

I shoot a JP tactical 1 rifle with the light weight carrier and have had nothing but flawless performance with any type of ammo I have shot!! One thing I did early on was can the McFarlan gas ring and replace it with standard rings. It would seem to get a hitch in opening after about 30 rounds, if I lubed it at that point ( through the two holes in the bolt) it would then be ok for the next 30 or so. It now has absolutly no problems in functioning with extreamly light reloads ( 55gr bullet at 2700 from 20" barrel) or anything else I have loaded in it. If yours is finicky you might try the gas ring deal, if not, call John up. He is absolutly the best about taking care of his customers and he will help you out and make it right!!!! Besides the highest quality products and gunsmithing I have seen any where, it is his dedication to customer satisfaction that makes me proud to say I shoot for him.                                  KURT

SVI4ME:

This is in reply to your post on the optic thread about the low mass carrier system from JP. Couple of quick questions. Does your friend have a JP built rifle or did he just get the carrier? The springs and buffer system are different for the light weight set up than for a stock carrier. What is he shooting in the rifle? JP rifles have a fairly tight chamber and is cut to .223 rem specs NOT 5.56x45. some cheap ball just wont work in these rifles and John supplies a list of stuff that should be avoided! I have personal experiance with 10 JP rifles with the light carrier and ALL run 100%. All of us ( the 10 guys who own the rifles) Use the heck out of them and the least rounds through any one of them is well over 2500 and some a lot more. I have never heard from John that there were problems with the early carriers but will check it out.                             KURT

Kurt do you feel there is any difference in score or speed when using the light carrier?  I can feel the difference when using the light one but I'm not sure that it translates to faster splits.  What do you think?

Kelly:

It feels like the splits are faster, but I haven't seen it make alot of difference on then timer. If there are a lot of close targets, say more than 5, I see about a .2 gain. I,m not sure if its faster cycle or less bolt slam though. Where I do see the biggest gain is on plate racks, or steel arrays in the 150-250 range. I know this sounds strange, but with the lightened carrier I find I am usually 1.5-2 sec quicker on a 6 plate array, even when both carbines are shot off the bi-pod. I don't know if its a mental thing or a mechanical thing, it may be a bit of both. I feel that when the carbine bounces a little more and it makes those sproingy sounds with the heavier carrier, it takes just a bit of your concentration away from the sights/optic. Kind of like when your pistol is real dirty and you can feel the gun go into battery, a bit disconcerting. Who knows, but that is what I,ve found.  KURT