Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deltapoint Pro Dot Failures

cj36d

I had my battery go out on me at the last match of the year.  It looks like there is a "scraping" effect going on at one of the terminals. 

I have only Changed the battery 2 times this season, so I guess that I should pay more attention.  

It has been a great optic so far, and I can't complain about a few batteries.

I would still recommend it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replacing the battery has been my only non-issue. Inexpensive batteries so I defiantly replace them way to often.  My first DP batteries the battery life was inconsistent. One would only last a month the next would last 3 then one would only last a few weeks.  The Dot will flash but it's to late if the Dot is flashing. Even at make ready if my Dot is flashing I will back out and replace the old battery for a fresh battery. Also I don't buy batteries in the 4 pack bundles I buy them in single packs so I don't get a bad pack and I have purchased bad batteries from Duracell and Sony but the Bunny has been pretty solid for the DP Pro over the last few years.  When I replace the batteries I look over the contacts and check things out.  Good luck!!

Replacing the battery has been my only non-issue. Inexpensive batteries so I defiantly replace them way to often.  My first DP batteries the battery life was inconsistent. One would only last a month the next would last 3 then one would only last a few weeks.  The Dot will flash but it's to late if the Dot is flashing. Even at make ready if my Dot is flashing I will back out and replace the old battery for a fresh battery. Also I don't buy batteries in the 4 pack bundles I buy them in single packs so I don't get a bad pack and I have purchased bad batteries from Duracell and Sony but the Bunny has been pretty solid for the DP Pro over the last few years.  When I replace the batteries I look over the contacts and check things out.  Good luck!!

8 hours ago, a matt said:

The one time it happened, I was shooting a stage.  I got 4 shots off and then it just went out.  I hit it with my hand a few times and it came back on.  Then it will going off and on with every shot.  I replaced the battery and the rest of the match was fine.  When I pulled the battery, the only thing I saw was a spot in the middle of the battery that had been "worn down" from where it was touching the contact on the bottom of the compartment.  

I am happy with it for sure, but I just want others to know to replace the battery more often than i did.

Had my DPP now for a about a month now. I have been dry firing for about twice a week and to the range weekly. I have just started my third battery. Is this normal???? Brightness is awesome, but it looks like it really takes a toll on the battery. The battery that came with the sight only lasted one week, then I put in an Energizer battery, and that is now on its last legs as I had the blinking warning sign. Is this consistent with other users?

Edited by abb1

So, as is expected, as the quantity of users grows, the number of horror stories increases.  It was only a matter of time and no dot is perfect yet.  There will be no consensus and people have had failures with both and perfection with both.  My best advice is choose one, beat on it, and when you have a particular good one that doesn't break, hang on to it!

Edited by theWacoKid

What batteries are you all using in your MRDS? And are you sure that the batteries are real non-fake batteries from that brand? I am trying to decide between RMR and DPP, and reliability would be very important decision point for me.

I found this statement in the "Miniaturized Red Dot Systems for Duty Handgun Use" whitepaper by Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics. Page 17, second paragraph:

It is worth noting that multiple battery failures occurred during testing on multiple MRDS, however all noted battery failures were with Energizer and Sony brand batteries and each failure was well before the quoted battery life of the optic they were mounted in.  Duracell brand batteries have only failed when charge was exhausted to date.

Link to post about study: https://lockedback.com/results-4-year-handgun-red-dot-study-sage-dynamics/

On 10/19/2017 at 8:10 AM, abb1 said:

Had my DPP now for a about a month now. I have been dry firing for about twice a week and to the range weekly. I have just started my third battery. Is this normal???? Brightness is awesome, but it looks like it really takes a toll on the battery. The battery that came with the sight only lasted one week, then I put in an Energizer battery, and that is now on its last legs as I had the blinking warning sign. Is this consistent with other users?

This happened to me on one of mine turned out I think it was user error. I would set mine to lowest or brightest setting depending on situation and the dpp will blink at those settings too.  I trashed a couple batteries before I figured this out. Now I just mostly leave it on one setting and no more blinking. This battery is 3 -4 months old. 

Here is one other thing that I would like to mention.

During a match, I leave it turned on all day.  When I make ready I have to bump the optic with my hand and it "wakes back up" and I am good to go.  I don't like the fact that the intensity adjustment is also the On Off switch.  I just turn it on at the safe table and set it to the brightest setting and leave it alone for the day.

I do the same (just leave the dot on at a match) with my DPP except I don’t think I have ever shit with the dot as bright as it will go. Even when I have to deal with the sun in the am or pm. The dot is just way to bright and will make target focus really difficult and for me in open that’s all I need to do is target focus. Cheers. 

39 minutes ago, a matt said:

I do the same (just leave the dot on at a match) with my DPP except I don’t think I have ever shit with the dot as bright as it will go. Even when I have to deal with the sun in the am or pm. The dot is just way to bright and will make target focus really difficult and for me in open that’s all I need to do is target focus. Cheers. 

So I guess you shit with a dim dot?

If you put the cover on, does the dot go out?

I've been replacing the cover between stages but leaving it switched on.

Not sure if that is the best method. I love being able to get batteries at the petrol station on the way to the match. So much more convenient than the old cmore.

We have a couple.  One on a CZ 75 Compact and the other on an AR15 pistol.

The CZ 75 Compact has had the same battery in it for maybe 8, or 9, months now.  When I set it down in it's "hidey hole" I'm assuming the dot goes "off" since the battery has lasted so long.  When I pick it up (and I've tried to very gently pick it up, just to see how much vibration/movement turns it on) it's always "on."

It has made 7 or 8 road trips (4 to 5 hours one way) on that battery.  I don't know if the bumps in the road, sudden stops, hard acceleration, etc. turn it on or not.

We carry extra batteries in the glove boxes of our vehicles and I carry extras in my shooter's bag and have extras in the grip on the AR15 pistol.

Can't say about the AR15 pistol.  I guess I need to pull it out and see if it still lights up or needs a battery as it's been on the same battery for 8 or 9 months, but seldom is bumped, moved, etc.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:13 PM, cj36d said:

Had an interesting experience at nationals this weekend.  My new deltapoint pro (with about 2000 rounds through gun) shut off on me on a couple of stages and would not recover, no matter how much button pushing.  Once the stage was finished (shooting it "point of aim") I discovered that opening and closing the battery cover would restore the function of the dot temporarily until after a few more shots, then it would disappear again.  Best part...this happened on the all headbox target stage.

After a little bit of troubleshooting I confirmed that the two curved metal contacts in the battery compartment were deformed slightly resulting in an inconsistent contact with the positive battery casing.  Some minor bending and voila...problem solved.  I shot all of day two with 0 issues, and have not seen it recur.

Anyone else have a similar experience?  Any better/more permanent fixes?  Not excited about the idea of the contacts loosening in the future...or having that in the back of my mind.

Hey thanks for the update I'm looking for a good red dot and now I know if this happens what I can do to fix it...

• 1 month later...

Hello all. I just got a DPP in the mail today. Using the supplied battery I was having all kinds of issues. The dot would turn off and no matter what I couldn't get it turn turn on without taking the battery out. 

I got it working and it did the auto shutoff in 5 min. I then woke it up after a minute. Then the dot flashed quickly 10 times and faded out and would not come back on with pressing the button etc. 

Then again I got it working by taking the battery out. 

Video here. FF to the endish

What I have done is taken a small amount of dye electric grease and spread it along the side and the bottom of your battery. Since I have done that I have had zero dot failure. The grease prevented oxidation and loss of contact.