Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun barrel question

paraman1

I just picked up a rem. 1100 for 225.00 used . The barrel has been cut down to 23 inches and so there is no choke to the barrel at all . Is this a major problem for 3-gun or is it something that can be addressed later ?

It may be a major problem.  Open chokes fall short for knocking down steel.  It depends on the matches you're going to be shooting but I've seen open chokes fail on many occassions (and then listened to whining about course design!)  If your matches shoot steel pretty close, you should be ok but I would not go to any sort of  major match with a cylinder bore.

Guest Dick W Holliday

i agree--you may find a local gunsmith that can install remchokes or winchokes becayse you really need the advantage of screw in chokes....i shot a 3gun a while back that had a 5X5 steel plate sitting on a base and the darn thing must have been 1/2" thick and at whatever the distance we were shooting at my skeet choke was just tickling it......i now carry more chokes....Dick

PS...the cost of chokes and installation varies a bunch so shop around.....plus you can buy the tubes for the ones i mentioned above at Wallymart or most any sporting goods store.....

(Edited by Dick W Holliday at 2:25 pm on Jan. 17, 2003)

paraman 1

check out the post on the shooting questions - shotgun, and look at the premier 11/87 thread - it covers your question quite well - Angleport , and others will cut and thread your barrel for between $60 - $100. I am currently trying to do this elsewhere and am being quoted $250 so it sound s quite good value in the US.

DVC

apart from that, in answer to your question, you definitely need to get it threaded for multi chokes. This will enable you to adjust your gun according to the course of fire you are shooting.

Like you I have just bought a cheap barrel ($55) second hand (cheap because there is no demand for that type here) and am having to get it threaded from skeet to multi choke. I am looking forward to the results! Good luck.

DVC

I have found someone to tap my barrel for the chokes here locally but need some advice on what chokes to choose . If you could choose only 2 or 3 chokes which would they be and why ?? I figure to get an Improved Cylinder but am not sure what others I should get .

Paraman:

The ONLY choke I use is light modified!!!! works great with small shot, buckshot, and is supper accurate with slugs. My brother uses ONLY modified, you make the call. Don't get caught up in "which is the perfect choke for this stage" mentality. Improved cylinder is just not enough for steel sometimes and full choke really throws buckshot wierd, with those constraints , I guess modified sounds good!                   KURT

Last week we shot a stage that ended with 2 plates at about 25 yards. After seeing a shooter blast his open choked SPAS at them repeatedly, and not take them down, I switched out my IC for a MOD. The MOD worked OK but at small plates at 25 yards a full may have even been better.

On a man-on-man popper hoser or any stage where the targets are within 17 yards the IC fits the bill. So, having the ability to change chokes to fit the course is an advantage in certain cases. I still use the IC 90% of the time though.