Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow 2 Nitride at Hinterland In Stock

SlvrDragon50

CZ USA labeled all the guns as polycoat in description. if you look at product SKU number on right side of box, it ends with 91256 which is SKU for nitrite finish pistol.

polycoat guns will end with 91254.

That is from the original Shadow 2 thread   Stuart posted it.   

It looks like they updated the website since I initially visited but it still has the blue grips shown in the picture but black listed as the color in the text. I had the credit card out and it was nearly smoking....put an e-mail to them to confirm. I'd pay more for the Nitride....

1 minute ago, B_RAD said:

Everyone wants the nitride for the blue grips?

I just want the Nitride for the durability of the coating. It will hopefully save me from eventual IonBond or Hard Chrome. The grips are going in a box as soon as I get one. I dig the wider, more ergonomic grips....different folks, different strokes.

Edited by huskerlrrp

7 minutes ago, huskerlrrp said:

I just want the Nitride for the durability of the coating. It will hopefully save me from eventual IonBond or Hard Chrome. The grips are going in a box as soon as I get one. 

My grips on my poly are in the box as well. 

The poly coats are nitride under the poly. 

I wonder what it'll look like after a lot of holstering?

oh yeah. I forgot about the nickel plated mags! 

Edited by B_RAD

17 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Yea, it confuses me a little still since there is supposedly black nitride underneath. In my mind, it should cost more to produce the black poly and urban grey, but I dunno.

27 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

27 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

My nitride S2 should be coming next week. 

What the hell, I can always buy another and nickel mags are available. Now to see if the wife kills me in my sleep.

28 minutes ago, huskerlrrp said:

What the hell, I can always buy another and nickel mags are available. Now to see if the wife kills me in my sleep.

:P Good luck! Hope it's the nitride version. even if it's just the black poly, it's still a great deal!! And honestly the MecGar AFC are proven, no real need for nickel mags.

Why would the Nitride only version be $100 more expensive then?  Is it really just blue grips and nickle mags?  Or are the claims that they are the cream of the crop from a quality perspective true?  I also don't understand how an additional step in the manufacturing process (adding polycoat) results in a lower price.

Don't get me wrong, I just ordered a Poly version from CZC yesterday and I'm having them work it over for me so I'm paying a premium, both by buying direct from CZC and by having them do the work for me.  By the time I get the parts and set aside the time to make the changes on my own, it's worth it to me to just have them do it.  Am I disappointed that I didn't get a better price, a little, but I'm also not buying multiple guns like DEguns or Hinterland...how many CZ's must they buy a year in order to get pricing good enough to allow them to sell $100+ below CZC or Oakhill (which I think was $1,279) or other places?  Whatever, I look at it this way, if I bought from someone else for $100 less, then decided to order the parts to do a re-work on the trigger, or send it out to someone else to do it, I'm easily out that $100 in shipping the damn thing all over the place, or in shipping small bits (which isn't exactly inexpensive) and my time to do the work.  At the end of the day, if it shoots as well or close enough to my Target 2, and ends up costing about the same as a TSO, I'm okay with that, but that's me.  I know not everyone is going to re-work their trigger, most will be happy with the stock version.  Unfortunately, after owning the Target 2, I don't think stock would cut it. 

Well the nickel mags are about $20 more expensive than the AFC. So, there's $60.  

Not sure where the other $40 comes from or how the poly is not more expense for the reason listed above?

I paid more for mine too.  Oh well. I wanted "now". Ha ha. 

37 minutes ago, clw42 said:

Why would the Nitride only version be $100 more expensive then?  Is it really just blue grips and nickle mags?  Or are the claims that they are the cream of the crop from a quality perspective true?  I also don't understand how an additional step in the manufacturing process (adding polycoat) results in a lower price.

From what has been said by others whom have taken polycoat off SP-01's, 75B's, etc. that the polycoat hides some rough machine marks or imperfections.  I'd wager a bet that the full nitride versions require additional clean-up to the marks & imperfections. Remember nitride is very thin and will not hide anything.

Edited by SCTaylor

22 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

From what has been said by others whom have taken polycoat off SP-01's, 75B's, etc. that the polycoat hides some rough machine marks or imperfections.  I'd wager a bet that the full nitride versions require additional clean-up to the marks & imperfections. Remember nitride is very thin and will not hide anything.

At the risk of not knowing what I'm talking about, nitride is not a coating. It's a teatment and I'd guess (watch out) that it doesn't add anything externally. 

I think you're right about it not hiding anything and requiring additional prepping or clean up. 

I work in a manufacturing environment and there are a lot of reasons the polycoat version may be cheaper.  No doubt CZ wants to put their best product forward but when trying to push the boundaries of machining/plating/cost you are going to run into snags.  We know the polycoat is a band aid to cover imperfections in the metal parts.  What we don't know -

Is are there people sorting frames/slides to cherry pick the best candidates for the nitride version?  

If the imperfections are small enough there may be an opportunity to clean up the part in question with an added manufacturing step. 

Are there more pre-cautions needed when assembling a nitride gun vs. polycoat? 

I have several polycoated CZ's and they look cheap sitting next to my Nitrided S2. Whether or not you care about such things means little as there are enough people out there that do as witnessed by the lack of available nitride models for purchase. I have no regrets for spending the extra $100. I would gladly spend an extra $100 and replace my 97 or PCR with a nitride version.  If I were to compete with this S2 I'd relegate it to a backup gun and pick up a polycoated S2 for a primary gun. Makes sense the extra polycoat layer would help resist abrasion from holstering.

3 minutes ago, Azrockcrawler said:

I work in a manufacturing environment and there are a lot of reasons the polycoat version may be cheaper.  No doubt CZ wants to put their best product forward but when trying to push the boundaries of machining/plating/cost you are going to run into snags.  We know the polycoat is a band aid to cover imperfections in the metal parts.  What we don't know -

Is are there people sorting frames/slides to cherry pick the best candidates for the nitride version?  

If the imperfections are small enough there may be an opportunity to clean up the part in question with an added manufacturing step. 

Are there more pre-cautions needed when assembling a nitride gun vs. polycoat? 

I have several polycoated CZ's and they look cheap sitting next to my Nitrided S2. Whether or not you care about such things means little as there are enough people out there that do as witnessed by the lack of available nitride models for purchase. I have no regrets for spending the extra $100. I would gladly spend an extra $100 and replace my 97 or PCR with a nitride version.  If I were to compete with this S2 I'd relegate it to a backup gun and pick up a polycoated S2 for a primary gun. Makes sense the extra polycoat layer would help resist abrasion from holstering.

Would you mind posting photos of the Poly vs. Nitride?  I'm curious how they look side by side.

I pretty much agree with everything you said and was working on a reply with basically the same thoughts.

Edited by clw42

I've seen pics of them side by side, and I honestly mix them up all the time. I wouldn't be able to A-B test them from pictures. I'm sure they feel different.

Your statement about polycoat resisting abrasion better makes me feel better about getting a poly S2 since it's really a competition only gun.

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2017 at 10:43 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

:P Good luck! Hope it's the nitride version. even if it's just the black poly, it's still a great deal!! And honestly the MecGar AFC are proven, no real need for nickel mags.

There is a need. The need is to have shiny magazines that look cool and may or may not have an immeasurably small advantage lol

On 3/24/2017 at 9:05 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

Called CZ USA and was very firmly told all the S2s have a nitride finish. Polys just get the polycoat over nitride and come with different mags. Slavex mentioned this in another thread as well. 

I thought that all the slides are nitrated, whereas the blue version has a nitrated frame and slide while the black and urban grey do not?

I thought that all the slides are nitrated, whereas the blue version has a nitrated frame and slide while the black and urban grey do not?

Black and gray have polycoat OVER the nitride. All guns are nitride then they inspect. Those with imperfections from machining become black and gray versions bc the polycoat covers those imperfections. It's applied over the nitride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk