Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When do you post scores?

Matt in TN

I just put on my first match last weekend, and purposefully did NOT publish the scores until AFTER the awards ceremony.  I wanted the ceremony to be the big "reveal".  But I got a complaint afterward that someone wished I would have posted them before the ceremony, and it got me thinking.  It seems like I've been to a match where they posted the scores and gave people time to check/dispute their scores before the ceremony.  That's a nice idea, but it would also put us yet another hour behind when everyone is already impatiently waiting for the ceremony and awards.

So what does everyone do?  This match had trophies for top 10, and a random prize table draw.  I can see having a dispute period if $50k is on the line or something, but when the prizes are random draw anyway I don't know that a dispute period is worth it?

You can always post the scores for review only. PractiScore has a posting mode for that. It is much reviled, so use with caution. Shooters seem to like to know what their relative position is. 

I post calculated scores (not just raw data) regularly at matches. In fact at the Area 1 coming up next week, they literally will be going up constantly as synched. 

Ken N.

And what about when you just gave Scott's plaque / trophy / etc to Tim in front of everyone, because Scott's 13.45 second run was mistakenly keyed in as 31.45?

Use software that lets you instantly print scores when the the last shot is fired. Print at least 3 copies that go up in multiple places.

Leave them up for about 15-20 minutes.

Then make a loud declaration that you'd like to waive the one hour period unless someone has an objection to their score. Everyone quickly agrees once they've had time to confirm their squad's scores look right.

Then hand out plaques and handshakes to the right people.

2 hours ago, jester121 said:

Well it is part of the rulebook. 9.8

This was for a Run N Gun "biathlon" - sorry, I should have said that up front.  No rules apply, and I'm literally making it up as I go.  I'm just trying to see what is most common out there and give people what they expect when I can.

At the moment, scores can't go in until everyone is back because of a few technical difficulties.  And this being my first match, I ran them with two different scoring systems and was sure they both matched before announcing anything because I'm paranoid and want to get it right.

But it's good to know that it is a given in USPSA.  I'm mostly an outlaw 3-gun guy, with some IDPA and Highpower Rifle mixed in years ago.

Edited by Matt in TN

Having the scores up on practiscore so those that need to get home and know they are not getting an award seems like the best practice to me.  There should be a brief protest period that, like said above, you can cut short with an announcement.  

At club matches I publish to Practiscore as soon as the match wraps up and to UPSA a few hours later.  If it's a special classifier match, I'l delay the upload to USPSA for 24 hours. This way, if I've made an error, much easier to correct.

Post ASAP. Fix as needed for time period you set for review.

I post scores after the last bay has been cleaned up for the local USPSA match I run. This ensures all the heavy lifting is done before everyone is glued to the results.

Note where the OP says that this was a NON-USPSA match. No standard rule-set. I don't think that he did anything wrong by not posting until everything was final in this situation. There was not a great deal of anything on the line in this match other than pride. If people need to get on the road, let them do so. They can see the scores whenever they get to a point where they can stop and check the scores. Nobody is forced to stay around and wait if they don't want to do so. I do think that shooters should be allowed to elect a proxy to go to a prize table for them if they are called or win, etc.