Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180gr 40 cal bullets. What do you use?

Dirtchevy841

I have been shooting mostly coated bullets from Bayou. 180 .40 sized to .400.
The company ships fast and the bullets are great.
I shot Zero 180 .40 JHP and TMJ before coated bullets were available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to shoot Xtreme 180gr HPs, but switched to BBI 200gr TCs when I noticed that people were saving money with coated bullets.  I recently tried Blue Bullets 200gr rnfp because everybody raves about them.  The residue that comes off Blue Bullets is kind of messy though so I might not buy any more.  Does anybody else feel like they are messy?

I'm an idiot...I bought Hornady XTP HP's for my first set because the company I bought all my reloading equipment had them there and I figured I'd just order everything at once for my first "go around" at loading.

However, since I've learned all this cool stuff and the places where you all get your bullets and supplies from in this thread, I'm sure this will be the last time I get those bullets to shoot/reload. :)  Except that Hornady is giving away 500 free bullets for me purchasing the loader and another 100 bullets for the dies, so I might as well take the free bullets after all.  LOL! 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sigsauerfan said:

i  use  zero 180JHP  in combo  with VV320. 4.5 grs  gives  me  170PF. zeros  are  very consistent from batch to  batch. a  little  expensive  but   it worth the  expense.

What OAL and out of what gun?

• 1 month later...

180 grain BBIs for practice/local matches, Hornady HAP for majors.  Figure if I'm spending all this cash to play at a major match, whats an extra $50 or so per 1000 for accurate jhps. 

Edited by blaster113

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, Mike21STI said:

Anyone use zeros or precision deltas? Preference between the two?

I do. I use PD JHPs in both 9 and 10mm. I think they are superior in all regards, other than price, over coated bullets. 

I have 3 I am going to try for the new Sv. Precision delta jhp and fmj. And Montana gold jhp. Will prob try bayou bullets also but leaning more to practice with them. Will know how they work cause I will break in Sv with them so I'll know if they feed good 

• 2 weeks later...

For the big matches, Montana Gold, 180, and yes, they are pricy. Norm at MG has been a huge supporter of the USPSA, and has provided the prize table many, many times.

For the rest of the time, Blue Bullets are superb. Great company to work with.

• 3 weeks later...

In 10mm  180g FMJ I've used Precision Delta and Zero, both highly accurate but the P-Ds are priced a bit better.

Tanfo Witness Match 10mm  Loaded to 1.250 OAL, various powders etc.

For economy in .40 cal I use Missouri Bullets IDP #5-GL These are 180g coated bullets that are now cast without the lube grove.

Just started using the new coated bullets,  love not having to deal with the mess associated with lube, both during loading and when shooting.

Extremely accurate in both my Tanfoglio Witness Match and Beretta Brigadier 40

OAL 1.125,  various powers, etc.

Edited by Sal1950