Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA#5 230 Load for 45ACP Major?

FBG001

Looking to work up a 45ACP major load using AA#5 (‘cause I already have a jug) and 230 grain plated X-Treme’s.  All the starting loads I’ve found generate a power factor of 180+ which, of course, is more oomph than I need.   A velocity of 739 fps will get me to 170 which provides a nice buffer.

Anyone have any experience?  Maybe 6.8 grains?  Any problems with lighter charges of AA#5?

• 7 months later...
On 3/17/2017 at 1:23 PM, 57K said:

Not with #5, I use True Blue which has a similar burn rate. #5 is really good for top-end loads in .45 ACP, so it will be interesting to see how it does at the lower velocity. All of Western's data is a tad higher for a Start Charge for 230 gr. Plated. I tend to trust Lyman data to be a bit closer to the velocity I expect when I interpolate their data for a targeted velocity. They didn't use #5 with the 230 gr. FMJ, but they did for their 225 gr. Cast that starts at 6.6 grs. for 625 FPS @ 9200 CUP. The Max Charge is 8.2 grs. for 874 FPS @ 17, 300 CUP so it covers a pretty good range of pressure. Interpolating for that bullet, 6.8 grs. should run approx. 656 FPS. Since your plated bullet will be 5 grs. heavier, 6.8 grs. is a safe starting point. You'll likely need to load higher to get to 739, maybe 7.2 grs.

The big question is what your standard deviation will be at 170 PF.

Hi 57.  Been a while (I've been preoccupied with a new open gun) but I finally had an opportunity to chrono some AA#5 loads.

Out of a Wilson 5" CQB, 7.0 grains averaged 733 fps for a power factor of 169.  ES was 34 and SD was 14.  Very accurate and reliable.  The only think I noticed that was out of the ordinary was the cases were a little sooty.