Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow 2 modifications

rowdyb

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed the thick shock buffer to the thin one and cut coils off a CGW 10lbs recoil spring.  I have no idea what the new spring rate is but just a guess near 8lbs.  I heard of a few pro shooters in EU using 8lbs springs.  It has allowed the gun to shoot flatter (to me) using 115 through 165 ammo and has picked everything up from the mag as it cycles.  

1 hour ago, WxGuy said:

Just finished a match with this setup.  It runs flatter.  I don't know all the whys but it just shoots better with the thin one in for me.  124g and 130PF.  

I used the thin buffer and 124 g/129pf with 10# recoil spring. Shoots flat and no muzzle flip.

2 hours ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

Rowdy,

Way back in the first post, you say you beveled off the pin on the end of the stainless steel guide rod.

Why?

(sorry if it was already explained; lots of posts here and admittedly, didn't read em all)

IIRC i did it because the sp01 Shadow guide rods didn't have it. so being a kind of tinker type person i thought, why not take it off. turns out i did need it for consistent seating of the guide rod.

so it's just my eye scanning the gun searching for things i can remove and differences from the previous model as the shadow 2 felt very new at the time.. i hope i clearly posted later that it's not something worth doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got yet another shadow 2 and decided to keep the stock front sight for now. I shot it today, 300rds, mostly groups, long distance and tight shots. Surprisingly i kinda liked the stock sight. I shot very well with it.  I run .100 CZC on my other guns. I also tried .090 Dawson's before. I felt like the stock sight helped me today. Perhaps it's just the new gun euphoria but i am going to play with it for a while. 

I changed the thick shock buffer to the thin one and cut coils off a CGW 10lbs recoil spring.  I have no idea what the new spring rate is but just a guess near 8lbs.  I heard of a few pro shooters in EU using 8lbs springs.  It has allowed the gun to shoot flatter (to me) using 115 through 165 ammo and has picked everything up from the mag as it cycles.  

Robin Sebo runs a 9lb recoil spring (and 10lb main). Not sure on shock buff or not.

I run the same config, no buff with 124gn ammo making 140PF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My current config is:

dawson 200x100 front fo sight

wolff 9# recoil spring and thick buff (though i'd like a bunch of thins to try)

czc 11# main spring

czc 2075 firing pin spring

czc extended firing pin

hennings grips and basepads

czc pre-b disconnector

only difference is my practice gun has a 10x bushing whereas my match gun is the stock bushing.

My current load is:

147gr plated rnfp from either rmr or berrrys

3.30 of sport pistol

mixed brass

win spp

1.100" oal

Edited by rowdyb

On 5/16/2018 at 8:09 AM, rowdyb said:

My current config is:

dawson 200x100 front fo sight

wolff 9# recoil spring and thick buff (though i'd like a bunch of thins to try)

czc 11# main spring

czc 2075 firing pin spring

czc extended firing pin

hennings grips and basepads

czc pre-b disconnector

9lb recoil spring letting you see more than the 10lb was? 

I bought a ten and went to put it in, only to realize my 11lb is already way lighter than the fresh 10lb

Kinda thinking about rigging up a spring rate tester and playing with new/old/clipped springs. 

Edited by reverse_edge

I haven't done much to mine;

Cajun 13# hammer spring

Cajun Ext FP

12# Recoil Spring  (although cases are burping out about 2', I'll try an 11# next)

Lok grips

Cajun 10x Bushing

I shot 12 groups from a rest yesterday, then installed the Cajun 10x bushing and shot 12 more groups today.  No difference in group size at all.

I'm pretty happy with it as is, but when I have some extra time I'll take it apart and polish everything. 

On my S2, all the internal guts and pins have been polished.

Currently running the following parts:

10lb mainspring

8lb recoil spring

RP sear spring

RP trigger spring

RP firing pin spring

Competition wide hammer

10x Bushing

I just got a pre-B disco that I'll install this weekend.

Honestly, I don't think I will see any accuracy improvement with the 10x bushing as my original bushing did not have much play to begin with.

10 hours ago, Trinimon said:

On my S2, all the internal guts and pins have been polished.

Currently running the following parts:

10lb mainspring

8lb recoil spring

RP sear spring

RP trigger spring

RP firing pin spring

Competition wide hammer

10x Bushing

I just got a pre-B disco that I'll install this weekend.

Honestly, I don't think I will see any accuracy improvement with the 10x bushing as my original bushing did not have much play to begin with.

Do you have trigger pull weights?

2 hours ago, John92awd said:

Do you have trigger pull weights?

IIRC, last time I checked, DA was 5 3/4lbs, SA was 1 3/4lbs. I'll reconfim later when I get home. Ideally I wanted the trigger to be around 2 to 2 1/2lbs. I may put back the factory sear spring.

I've seen some posts of people saying that their DA went down to just under 6lbs with a 13lb mainspring and I'm beating myself up trying to figure out why I'm just getting there by having to go all the way down to a 10lb mainspring.

On 5/15/2018 at 11:42 PM, cheby said:

Just got yet another shadow 2 and decided to keep the stock front sight for now. I shot it today, 300rds, mostly groups, long distance and tight shots. Surprisingly i kinda liked the stock sight. I shot very well with it.  I run .100 CZC on my other guns. I also tried .090 Dawson's before. I felt like the stock sight helped me today. Perhaps it's just the new gun euphoria but i am going to play with it for a while. 

It is a 0.100 width factory isn't it? I always use 0.100 and it looked right to me, usually a 0.125 looks huge.

8 hours ago, Trinimon said:

IIRC, last time I checked, DA was 5 3/4lbs, SA was 1 3/4lbs. I'll reconfim later when I get home. Ideally I wanted the trigger to be around 2 to 2 1/2lbs. I may put back the factory sear spring.

I've seen some posts of people saying that their DA went down to just under 6lbs with a 13lb mainspring and I'm beating myself up trying to figure out why I'm just getting there by having to go all the way down to a 10lb mainspring.

I'd say you're doing fine. Mine is 7lbs with a cz 11lb main spring. I'm not too interested in chasing the lowest pull really, all the Reduced power springs just caught my attention 

On 5/17/2018 at 7:54 PM, John92awd said:

I'd say you're doing fine. Mine is 7lbs with a cz 11lb main spring. I'm not too interested in chasing the lowest pull really, all the Reduced power springs just caught my attention 

Well, the 7lb trigger will teach ya good trigger finger discipline. :P

I installed the pre-B disco last night. I needed to fit it for my S2. The ears on the disco weren't clearing the trigger bar allowing the trigger to fall forward when the sear was disengaged. Trigger reset is a bit shorter than the S2 factory disco. Took me close to 4hrs to fit... The first 90mins of that was me on all fours looking for the damn sear pin that fell off my workbench. I just about gave up when I just happened to see it, well away from where I saw it fall. On the plus side, the floor and mats are nice and clean now. I have no idea how it ended up halfway across the room. Then 30mins of me trying to figure out why the slide would not cycle as soon as I inserted the slide lock, only to eventually realize that I was inserting my Tanfoglio's slide lock instead of my S2 one. FFS!

Well I broke down and ordered one. Looks like my worked over stock 2 is going to have some competition.  I don’t even have it yet and I’m looking to tune it. You guys really use sandpaper  to polish? No dremel and felt wheels with blue magic?

15 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

Well I broke down and ordered one. Looks like my worked over stock 2 is going to have some competition.  I don’t even have it yet and I’m looking to tune it. You guys really use sandpaper  to polish? No dremel and felt wheels with blue magic?

Frankly you really do not need to polish anything. You could just swap a few springs. After some fair amount of dry and life fire your gun (And you) will be just right:)