Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw Rehabilitation!

pisgahrifle

OK, here's the deal.

I'm in the process of changing from IDPa-CDP to USPSA-PSSD. I've been shooting from concealment for almost three years, and I'm realling starting to like going without. My problem, however, is thus: Even without concealment, I'm still making the concealment draw. It seems like moving my hand about three inches in front of the gun, then coming back and down on top of is the only way I can index my strong hand on the pistol just so. If I try to "scoop" the gun out of the holster, I just can't index my strong hand under the triggerguard right. I know that my current draw is going to cost me time eventually, so what do I do? Should I just concentrate on not going as far forward before coming back down atop the pistol, or should I start another kind of draw entirely?

-PAB

Dry Fire, Dry Fire, Dry Fire. You will probably find that your draw will evolve as you practice, and you will find the happy medium. Wherever you end up, you want it to be a draw you can do on command, without having to think about it to much.

Flex-

I worked on that, and it does help imprint the drawstroke pretty well. Thanks.

Flex's post is really the third of nine so far ---- just in case you're easily confused.....

Uh, no, I'm not. I may be from the South, but I do have enough sense to come in out of the rain, thank you very much.

Are you still using the same holster? If you have another one, put it on and work on it for awhile - not sure it's a perfect answer, but since muscle memory is what we work off of, maybe another holster will confuse your memory enough that you can go back to the "real" holster after you've unmemorized it and re-train that memory again.