Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First IDPA match, advice?

tanks

Due to Norco, CA matches still being shutdown, no USPSA matches are around this weekend. I figured I'd try to shoot IDPA this coming Saturday. I will be using an HK VP9 with my OWB CCW holster, and have a couple of standard belt mag holders and a vest, so should be good to go from an equipment standpoint.

With a 4.09" barrel I can shoot either CCP or SSP. I am leaning towards CCP. I gather I would be fine with the 25 rounds allowed seeing that most a stage will have is 18 rounds. Any other opinions?

My match tactics, feel free to give additional pointers please.

-- I will not try to practice a new skill set (reload with retention) as I am doing this to just have a bit of weekend live fire (my range day is Wednesdays) so intend to do  "emergency reloads" only. 

-- I will take the extra tenth of a second or so on targets when I feel necessary, so I don't have points/seconds down.

-- I will refrain from air gunning the stage prior to shooting it ( will have to think hard on this one to not do it out of habit ).

Will be interesting to see how I place.

Anything else?

Don't over think it. Lots of people shoot VP9s and G19s in SSP. Reloading more often or on different spots than others is going to be more of a disadvantage than the little bit shorter gun. It'll give you a better idea of where you stack up versus the competition because 75% of the shooters will be SSP or ESP.

Reload with retention shouldn't be too hard to master, just don't drop the mags.

Accuracy counts much more in IDPA than it does for USPSA so definitely get good hits.

54 minutes ago, daytona955i said:

Don't over think it. Lots of people shoot VP9s and G19s in SSP. Reloading more often or on different spots than others is going to be more of a disadvantage than the little bit shorter gun. It'll give you a better idea of where you stack up versus the competition because 75% of the shooters will be SSP or ESP.

Good point, with a maximum of 18 rounds it is just one reload for SSP whereas one can be a round short and reload twice on the CCP.

1 hour ago, tanks said:

Good point, with a maximum of 18 rounds it is just one reload for SSP whereas one can be a round short and reload twice on the CCP.

Maybe I missed something but, CCP is 8 rounds in the mags.

To clarify:

-- 8+1 to start and a reload (8 in the mag) is 17 total on a possible 18 round course requiring two reloads for CCP.

-- 10+1 to start and a reload (10 in the mag) is 21 rounds on a possible 18 round course requiring only 1 reload for SSP.

Hence my comment above regarding reload differences between SSP and CCP.

3 hours ago, daytona955i said:

Accuracy counts much more in IDPA than it does for USPSA so definitely get good hits.

lots of people say this, but uspsa isn't very forgiving of sloppy shots.  one miss wipes away a full target's worth of scores, and a miss with a no shoot wipes away two full targets.  shooting slow but accurate in either game will put you towards the bottom.

1 hour ago, davsco said:

lots of people say this, but uspsa isn't very forgiving of sloppy shots.  one miss wipes away a full target's worth of scores, and a miss with a no shoot wipes away two full targets.  shooting slow but accurate in either game will put you towards the bottom.

You can't miss fast enough to win in USPSA, especially on a stage with less points, but a miss and a no shoot in IDPA is 10 seconds to the total stage score. On stages with a raw time of 15-20 seconds, which is a bulk of IDPA given the round count and movement constraints, you can add 40-50% to your stage score for one errant shot (miss and a no shoot).

2 hours ago, tanks said:

To clarify:

-- 8+1 to start and a reload (8 in the mag) is 17 total on a possible 18 round course requiring two reloads for CCP.

-- 10+1 to start and a reload (10 in the mag) is 21 rounds on a possible 18 round course requiring only 1 reload for SSP.

Hence my comment above regarding reload differences between SSP and CCP.

Gotcha.  Misunderstood what you were saying.

The rules have been updated for 2017.  Each point down = 1 second added to your score.  Used to be each point down = .5 second added. So for those who thought IDPA scoring favored accuracy more than USPSA in the past, this makes it more so.

JackinSD, if you want to shoot it for fun and not to mess up your USPSA shooting too much, just figure out your arrays that you shoot to slide lock, make sure to be behind cover when you drop the mag and reload, and go to the next position.  It is pretty easy once you get used to it and don't screw around with retention reloads except for where the stage requires them.  Out of all the rules, the reasoning for the retention reload is the worst.

4 hours ago, sitw said:

JackinSD, if you want to shoot it for fun and not to mess up your USPSA shooting too much, just figure out your arrays that you shoot to slide lock, make sure to be behind cover when you drop the mag and reload, and go to the next position.  It is pretty easy once you get used to it and don't screw around with retention reloads except for where the stage requires them.  Out of all the rules, the reasoning for the retention reload is the worst.

WTH are you talking about?  I misread/misunderstood what tanks said earlier.  He made a clarification for me, which I already responded to.  Then you make a non-relevant post about points down.  Now you make the assumption that I have not shot IDPA before, and that I have shot USPSA?  I realize that you are giving guidance, based off of your assumption.  So, I will leave that to those that the assumption fits.

I also find it strange that sitw states "the rules have been updated for 2017". Then in his next post he gives incorrect, outdated information. You do not have to be behind cover to reload, as long as you're not exposed to unengaged targets. The reload with retention is also gone, and can't be required in a stage. You can still do a RWR, just not require it in a stage.

JackSD

Relax!  I put your user name in my post and meant to address it to tanks.  Jesus, wound a little tight?  It wasn't like I said anything negative or derogatory either. And my post was relevant to the OP about match tactics.  That being, consider how much points down and mikes cost and take it into account for his tactics.

" My match tactics, feel free to give additional pointers please. "

Tarkeg

I didn't give misinformation. I quoted a rule in my first post.  In my second post, where did I say I was quoting any rules?  In my second post I was saying the easiest way to shoot a stage and not worry about the rule differences, like dropping a mag with rounds in it and leaving cover with an empty gun and exposing yourself to non-engaged targets.  Two things you don't have to worry about in USPSA.

1 hour ago, sitw said:

JackSD

Relax!  I put your user name in my post and meant to address it to tanks.  Jesus, wound a little tight?  It wasn't like I said anything negative or derogatory either. And my post was relevant to the OP about match tactics.  That being, consider how much points down and mikes cost and take it into account for his tactics.

" My match tactics, feel free to give additional pointers please. "

Tarkeg

I didn't give misinformation. I quoted a rule in my first post.  In my second post, where did I say I was quoting any rules?  In my second post I was saying the easiest way to shoot a stage and not worry about the rule differences, like dropping a mag with rounds in it and leaving cover with an empty gun and exposing yourself to non-engaged targets.  Two things you don't have to worry about in USPSA.

You used my name, all that follows is your mistake.  Had you not done that, and responded to the OP,  I would have had no reason to respond.  Making assumptions about somebody is often a reason for them to get "wound a little tight".  I am sure you don't want to hear my assumptions of your excuse.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 9x45 said:

tanks, you missed our USPSA match at Palm Springs, 3rd Sunday.

Need to list it on Calguns match list only a steel match shows for 3rd Sunday.

Might try it next time, only 108 miles from me. ;) 

USPSA is more brutal on misses than IDPA. Each miss cost you 10 points and you also loose the 10 points (5 for each Alpha) that you could have earned. So you are 30 points down right off the get go. 

Actually 15 points for a mike for a single miss (10 point penalty and 5 for possible alpha). A mike on IDPA costs you 10 seconds. Comparatively speaking if a stage has a 7.5 HP factor (just making it up for arguments sake), that is only 2 seconds. On a 32 shot stage of 160 points 15 points is less than 10 percent.

Just an example on one of the stages I placed 10th in SSP (out of 60) with zero down, adding 10 seconds to that would have moved me to 38th place. The guy that won the stage would have moved from 1st to 30th. That is a huge penalty for a mike. 

IDPA miss is only 5 seconds.

A stage with a hit factor of 3 would be the same penalty as IDPA.

Being that IDPA starts with zero comparisons can be difficult, but consider the following.

A miss in USPSA is similar to shooting more than 7 "C"s or almost 4 Ds in minor, or 15 Cs or 5 Ds in major.

In IDPA, a miss is only 5 -1s or less than 2 -3 hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13 hours ago, IronArcher said:

IDPA miss is only 5 seconds.

A stage with a hit factor of 3 would be the same penalty as IDPA.

Being that IDPA starts with zero comparisons can be difficult, but consider the following.

A miss in USPSA is similar to shooting more than 7 "C"s or almost 4 Ds in minor, or 15 Cs or 5 Ds in major.

In IDPA, a miss is only 5 -1s or less than 2 -3 hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depends on the points available and the typical stage time (which I guess is the hit factor). An IDPA stage that takes an average of 15 seconds in raw time, one miss adds 33.3% penalty to your score.