Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
john33

Need Advice on Windows

Hey, guys, I am in the midst of a home renovation right now. The house that I live in is really old and the windows are all drafty. I am thinking of getting it replaced. While doing a bit of research online I came across some energy efficient windows that not only helps in reducing draft but are durable as well. Most of them are vinyl. Do you guys have energy efficient windows at home? If you don't, then can you tell me whether there are any other windows that are equally good. I am doing a major renovation right now so I am looking for windows that lasts a long time. If you guys could give me any suggestions on this, it would be great.Tia. 

We put Champion windows in our house 10 years after building. Contractor grade windows are pure garbage. New windows is the single best thing we have done to improve our house.

Andersen Windows . That's all I've got to say about this!

Pretty much all replacement windows are energy efficient now. They call them IGs which is short for Insulated Glass, basically a double pane window. They also now offer a Low E coating which is Applied to the glass before the 2 panes are sealed together, this helps reduced the amount of UV light entering your home, which also rdduces the fading of your hardwood floors and furniture. Whatever you decide just make sure you research the company. Find a company that has been around for awhile for warranty purposes and listen to what people are saying about them. Also check with your electric company and see what kinda discounts they might offer once you have your windows replaced. If Im not mistaken there is also a tax credit you can take advantage of.

Also be aware of buying super efficient windows if your home insulation is poor.  You'll stop the air and radiant transmissions with good windows but will never full realize their value if the wall insulation is toast.  Ask me how I know! Haha.

Ten years ago, we remodeled a house built in 1786 - but had been

renovated as recently as 1945.

Couldn't believe the gaps in insulation all over that house -

As SCT mentioned - don't forget the walls and ceilings ...