Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Thread

sweetback

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't be on the approved list if the factory specs won't fit the box, as it comes from the factory.

My guess will be that after CO guns are modified to an extreme and then wouldn't fit the box as it is, USPSA will adopt a box similar to IDPA, cut out for the dot.

They try to do it without a specific box by the production list and limiting additions.  But I'm sure some enterprising competitor will push the envelope, kind of the history of us Practical Shooters.

I'm not sure there's much point to making a 'box beater' CO gun. 

Sight radius isn't a thing with a dot and most Open guns these days run <5" slides to stay short and light.  

Likewise you could put on a ginormous dot, but again looking at today's Open guns, big scopes aren't a thing anymore.

Maybe you could install giant paddle thumb-safeties, or a huge 'internal' magwell.

3 hours ago, shred said:

Sight radius isn't a thing with a dot and most Open guns these days run <5" slides to stay short and light.  

Likewise you could put on a ginormous dot, but again looking at today's Open guns, big scopes aren't a thing anymore.

Maybe you could install giant paddle thumb-safeties, or a huge 'internal' magwell.

Agreed but when has that stopped the quest?

7 hours ago, shred said:

Considering D7 item 7 says “no,” it really doesn’t matter. 

17 hours ago, pskys2 said:

It won't be on the approved list if the factory specs won't fit the box, as it comes from the factory.

My guess will be that after CO guns are modified to an extreme and then wouldn't fit the box as it is, USPSA will adopt a box similar to IDPA, cut out for the dot.

They try to do it without a specific box by the production list and limiting additions.  But I'm sure some enterprising competitor will push the envelope, kind of the history of us Practical Shooters.

No box for CO

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Sure there is. As seen above.

CO guns be on the Production list, which means they had to fit in the box when built with irons. That’s what he was saying.

Then HQ should remove “no maximum handgun size” in D7

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

There is absolutely no maximum handgun size for your gun when it shows up on match day covered in bolt-on widgets.

But the unmodified iron-sighted gun had to fit in a box when submitted to USPSA for addition to the Production list.

There’s no need to mention a box, cause a CO shooter will never see a box. What ever came before it was a CO gun is immaterial to the fact this thread is about CO. Let’s not confuse people by saying it has/had to fit a box. 

26 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I can't find it now because they have removed the previous version of the rules ... but ... I am positive the "maximum handgun size" field used to say "see special conditions" (which is where the sizing information remains).

The new version has changed the wording from "see special conditions" to "no maximum handgun size".

Anyone that still has the previous version on their computer can verify this. 

@DB_Cooper at $1400 a lot of guys are still going to run an X-Five.

It might chip into the number of CZs and Tanfos getting milled for red dots though. The guns being run by guys who are set on heavy steel frames, plus getting a Stock 2 or Shadow2 down to legal weight will total $1400 once you factor in the gun, triggerjob, and machinework.

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Sure there is. As seen above.

CO guns be on the Production list, which means they had to fit in the box when built with irons. That’s what he was saying.

There is still no box specific to CO. 

Also, none of the  guns would fit with a 140mm mag. 

No boxes for USPSA Carry Optics

1 hour ago, HCH said:

There is still no box specific to CO. 

Also, none of the  guns would fit with a 140mm mag

No boxes for USPSA Carry Optics

There is... in a roundabout way. There isn’t if you take things literally.

This has now been clarified twice in detail.

Let’s stop, and move on to more interesting stuff related to Welfare Open Minor. 😉 

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

There is... in a roundabout way. There isn’t if you take things literally.

This has now been clarified twice in detail.

Let’s stop, and move on to more interesting stuff related to Welfare Open Minor. 😉 

I petition we rename it!!

I have been an advocate for open minor for a decade at least...
Open Major,,, anything goes major PF 170mm mags.
Open Minor,,, No comps Slide mounted optics or anywhere lasers,  140mm mags,, scored minor.
Limited Major... Major PF, 140mm mags, no comps no optics or lasers. 40 cal min for magor... IE exact current limited rules.
Limited minor... Scored minor,  45 oz weight limit, fit box,  10 round max mags...   This combines,,, SS production and L10
Revolver,,, scored 6 major/8 minor,,, but must use blackpowder and percusion caps prefered. Shooters MUST wear union suit wool longjohns and can be barefoot or wear stovepipe boots.
Only belts allowed will be hemp rope.

Edited by Joe4d

6 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Open Minor,,, No comps Slide mounted optics or anywhere lasers,  140mm mags,, scored minor.
Limited Major... Major PF, 140mm mags, no comps no optics or lasers. 40 cal min for magor... IE exact current limited rules.
Limited minor... Scored minor,  45 oz weight limit, fit box,  10 round max mags...   This combines,,, SS production and L10
Revolver,,, scored 6 major/8 minor,,, but must use blackpowder and percusion caps prefered. Shooters MUST wear union shoot wool longjohns and can be barefoot or wear stovepipe boots.

I think that’s already a division in SASS

5 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Revolver,,, scored 6 major/8 minor,,, but must use blackpowder and percusion caps prefered. Shooters MUST wear union shoot wool longjohns and can be barefoot or wear stovepipe boots.

The revolver is spot on. The only change I would make is “limited minor” would be 10 rounds minor and 8 rounds major.