Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Thread

sweetback

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently noticed a few CO shooters, some running flashlights and some with small polymer magwells.  I reviewed the rules this morning and noticed those particular items are prohibited, unless I am read the wrong rules (Feb 1, 2017).  Am I reading the wrong set of rules?

16 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Magwells are not permitted. I don't think flashlights are either. They should be bumped to Open. I suggest you check for aftermarket non-conforming triggers too.

That is what I was thinking too.  I didn't say anything, because I wasn't sure.

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, HCH said:

Are heavy bass pads allowed? I have looked through the rules and haven’t seen anything.

I’m trying to get some weight on a Glock. 

As long as your mag fits 141.25mm mag guage and total weight of gun and empty mag is 45oz or less your good. 

36 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Can you use an extended barrel for Carry Optics? I see you can use aftermarket barrels but I am wondering about a barrel that is threaded but just has a thread saver attached. Anyone know if it is legal? Thanks, Eric

Appendix D7, 21.3 reads" BARRELS: You may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel of the same length and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.  Special Notes/Clarifications: A barrel within +/-0.1” of OFM is the same length. Barrels of the same length and caliber but with different crown profiles are authorized."

Being that it specifies same length and within +/-0.1" of the original barrel for the model,  I believe an extended/threaded barrel would be illegal.

Edited by cjmill87

7 minutes ago, cjmill87 said:

Appendix D7, 21.3 reads" BARRELS: You may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel of the same length and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.  Special Notes/Clarifications: A barrel within +/-0.1” of OFM is the same length. Barrels of the same length and caliber but with different crown profiles are authorized."

Being that it specifies same length and within +/-0.1" of the original barrel for the model,  I believe an extended/threaded barrel would be illegal.

I would say it depends on the gun since some guns like the hk usp tactical come with threaded barrel and there is a threaded barrel OFM for some glocks like the 17,19 and 34. I’m willing to bet that NROI doesn’t care but who knows. 

If I am reading the rules correctly, you have to use the factory mag release.  Can you put grip tape on the mag release?  If so, are there any regulations on how thick the grip tape can be (I.e. could you use 2 or 3 layers)?

52 minutes ago, B585 said:

If I am reading the rules correctly, you have to use the factory mag release.  Can you put grip tape on the mag release?  If so, are there any regulations on how thick the grip tape can be (I.e. could you use 2 or 3 layers)?

Aftermarket safeties, mag releases, triggers and hammers are legal now for both CO and Production. Did you read an old rulebook from prior to the spring of 2018?

Specifically approved in the CO Appendix D rules under minor exterior modifications. Think it’s something like 21.6.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

44 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Aftermarket safeties, mag releases, triggers and hammers are legal now for both CO and Production. Did you read an old rulebook from prior to the spring of 2018?

Specifically approved in the CO Appendix D rules under minor exterior modifications. Think it’s something like 21.6.

Thank you.  I was reading this on my phone and I think I just got confused on what division I was looking at.

14 hours ago, pskys2 said:

The original gun must meet Production rules, this includes the box.

I must be reading  the rules too quickly & missing it, but I think it has to be on the production list only. Nothing in the CO rules about the  box. Could you post the rule you’re thinks of? 

6 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I must be reading  the rules too quickly & missing it, but I think it has to be on the production list only. Nothing in the CO rules about the  box. Could you post the rule you’re thinks of? 

Yeah ... the "box" specification for Carry Optics is redundant because to be on the Production list the gun had to fit in the (Production) box.

Would probably not fit in the box anyhow after the optic was bolted on. 

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

No box involved in uspsa, production list,,45ozs, mag gauge.

Idpa has a box I'm told with a cut out for the optic

Could have sworn the couple of times I shot production, at Chrono I gave them an empty mag, an unloaded gun and they put the magazine in it, put it in the box and then weighed it.

Mags were never put in a guage.

12 minutes ago, bret said:

Could have sworn the couple of times I shot production, at Chrono I gave them an empty mag, an unloaded gun and they put the magazine in it, put it in the box and then weighed it.

Yep ...

For Production … pg98 January 2019 rules

Maximum size, handgun and all magazines (revolvers are exempt) - Handgun with empty magazine inserted must fit wholly within a box with internal dimensions of 8 15/16” x 6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance +1/16”, - 0”) (8.938” x 6” x 1.625”) (227.01mm x 152.40mm x 41.28mm).

For Carry Optics (mentioned in "special conditions") pg111 January 2019 rules

A handgun may be approved specifically for Carry Optics division provided that the model of the pistol used is an approved Production Division model AND meets Carry Optics criteria. Any manufacturer of a pistol that is not on the approved Production list, but meets Carry Optics criteria, must submit a Manufacturers Declaration Form to DNROI stating that a minimum of 500 complete handguns have been manufactured and are available to the general public.