Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Throat ream a PVD barrel?

racer-x

I just got a 9 major open pistol (CK Arms) with a black PVD treated barrel (KKM).
Plunk testing the barrel showed my cartridges (Montana Gold 124 JHP) just touch the leade at 1.140 OAL now.
I'd like to safely shoot 1.170 OAL, so I need to throat the barrel around .05 deep to allow this with some safety cushion.

I’ve tried two of my friends Clymer throating reamers and they didn’t do anything... literally. Both of those reamers were well used, but I watched as my gunsmith used one of these reamers to easily throat a normal non-PVD barrel testing his reamer. It still works, just not a match for this PVD barrel.

Any recommendations on how to successfully throat this PVD treated barrel?
Different reamer (like Manson)?

Most smiths won't try to ream a nitride or PVD barrel.  Switching reamers won't help.  Try the Montana Gold 121gr IFP, they have a different profile and you can load just a tad longer than the 124 JHP. 

Thank you. That might end up being the best solution, although not the one I would prefer.

It found a link that indicates these 121 IFP's are the 115 JHP profile with the hollow section filled with lead. If correct, this should yield .020" extra case volume for the same OAL, but also require a little more powder to make same PF. Not sure that those opposing factors wash out to reduce pressure at the same PF.

MG's 115 JHP is .556" tall (assuming IFP is the same) compared to the 124J HP's .576" height. 

How about using a carbide throating reamer?

PT&G offers their 'uni-throater' in carbide and Clymer may also have a solution (I have emails in to each).

Manson has already replied they do not offer a reamer that works on PVD, Melonited, or Hard-Chrome barrels--the surface is simply too hard for high speed steel reamers to cut.

Contact CK, those guys are both all about customer service.

They may have a solution and would probably want to get the gun set up correctly for you

Should be worth the phone call

I've got a range of test rounds loaded with 3N38 and WAC at 1.125 OAL ready for a load dev chrono session tomorrow.

Will be looking close for signs of excessive pressure in these short major loads.

If I can find a load that works, this won't be a problem. Who knows, making 170PF with less powder would make 3n38 a easier to load :)  

LOL....... Now I know why it was so hard to ream the throat of my CK.  Literally took over an hour of work and probably hundreds of rotations of the throat reamer (Mason throater).   But now I can load 124g MG JHP's to at least 1.165"   I thought for sure I ruined the barrel but it seems to shoot just fine.    

And Bobby @ CK told me that he uses 1.140" 124g MG JHP's for test firing every CK open gun using WAC. That's what he said he uses in his gun too. And something like 182PF. 

Edited by 3djedi

Thank you.

BTW, I talked with PT&G today and they said that they can special build a carbide uni-throater that will cut these harder finishes.

4-8 weeks to build though.

I'm reconsidering if I really want to throat this barrel now, since it is performing very well with the two171PF loads I've worked up so far.  

Thank you.

BTW, I talked with PT&G today and they said that they can special build a carbide uni-throater that will cut these harder finishes.
4-8 weeks to build though.

I'm reconsidering if I really want to throat this barrel now, since it is performing very well with the two171PF loads I've worked up so far.  

If you are not having any pressure signs and you have a load that works I wouldn't bother. I kind of regret doing mine at this point. Of course, I did it myself and didn't do it it the right way lol. I didn't think it would be so hard and didn't want to send it off and be without the gun. I'm very impatient that way lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 11:20 PM, 3djedi said:

If you are not having any pressure signs and you have a load that works I wouldn't bother. I kind of regret doing mine at this point. Of course, I did it myself and didn't do it it the right way lol. I didn't think it would be so hard and didn't want to send it off and be without the gun. I'm very impatient that way lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Not sure there is any reason to regret it if it is shooting well, but I do agree that it is not worth it if the OP got a load that works.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, racer-x said:

Was yours the black PVD finish?

Not 100% sure.  It's either that or black nitride.  It was tough, but as long as the reamer is cutting and not rubbing it shouldn't get killed that fast.  But no, I'm not sure.

I also faced my reverse barrel plug in the lathe and did find that breaking through the finish took some serious effort.

The first two reamers I tried were not new, but still very functional on untreated barrels.

At any rate, the new PT&G carbide reamer did the job quick & easy.

Also liked the sleeve & lock screws on it used to set the depth precisely.

16 weeks later...
Received the carbide uni-throater today.
Using the PT&G Vipers Venom cutting fluid, it cuts through PVD like a hot knife through butter.
Wow.

Had I read this sooner I would have offered to do it for $25. Takes less than a minute with my carbide throaters and will ream any barrel finish I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
On 7/27/2017 at 9:06 PM, 1911luvr said:

Had I read this sooner I would have offered to do it for $25. Takes less than a minute with my carbide throaters and will ream any barrel finish I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue.  Can I get some more details to get my barrel fixed?