Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long did it take you to learn to shoot with both eyes open?

Nemesis Lead

I saw a post from Eric Grauffel on Instagram where a guy saw that Eric had one eye closed. 

The guy said: "I thought you always have to have two eyes open".

Eric responded: "Just a myth"...    :)

Made me feel a lot better as I can't seem to put in the effort to learn shooting with two eyes open with irons. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/10/2017 at 4:48 PM, Nemesis Lead said:

This question is for those who once shot with one eye open and now shoot with 2 eyes open.

How long did it take you to fully make the transition?  

I have shot with one eye open for 6 years and made M class in Production.  I have plateaued a bit and want to try shooting with both eyes open.

I am asking how long it takes because I am shooting Area 1 in 20 days.

I plan to go all in on dry fire and live fire to make the transition, but wonder how long it took you guys to do this?  How long did it take for your "2 eye game" to equal your "1 eye game?"

Took 3 mo of dryfire and live for me to feel confident enough to try in a match

however

i realized early it was going to hold me back or just awkward 

i see a lot of guys use tape on their eye pro

i never could get that to work

just work on it and it will come

• 3 months later...

I have always shot 2 eyes open and was lucky it always felt natural for me. With CO being so popular now, anyone with a decent amount of rifle shooting under their belt will already be ahead of the game used to  shooting target focused. In fact I think the school of thought on the benefit of shooting target focused in any division not just ones with optics is gaining traction and probably the correct way to shoot on probably 75% of the targets you would encounter in a match

I've also always shot with both eyes open. I've only been shooting handguns for a couple years and when I first started that's what I was told to do so I just stuck with it. I also shoot target focused pretty much all the time. When I was starting out I had some difficulty processing which sight picture to use since I would see double. I don't really notice the second set of sights anymore, I think what helped the most with that was doing a lot of dryfire to establish a good index with the sights aligned in line with my dominant eye. I'm right handed and left eye dominant which hasn't been an issue with handguns since I realized I just need to rotate the gun a little, but I have a much harder time shooting rifles with iron sights without closing my left eye. I swapped all my rifles to optics and that fixed things for me. I will also be shooting optics on my handguns for next season so time will tell if that makes things easier or harder.