Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long did it take you to learn to shoot with both eyes open?

Nemesis Lead

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still shooting with both eyes open and still think it is the way to go. There are a few instances where I have to close one eye (a very narrow port where there was a lot of "visual noise" but other than that I find it to be the best way.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at a man on man plate match and a friend said try shooting with both eyes open, so tried it and won the match and never used 1 eye again.  My eyes are so bad now cant see the sights but still keep both eyes open to shoot. Mostly shoot open.

Angus told me one time that he shoots with one eye open and knows several GMs who do the same. Ive never been able to shoot with both eyes open either, due to the almost neutral dominance of both eyes. I'm not a M shooter but doubt you will see any benefit. 

I had a weird situations with my eyes during a stage a couple of weeks ago.

There was a short stage where I had to hang from a rope to be able to see and shoot the targets, around a little wall, and change sides to get a couple of more targets (knots and no loop in the rope, unlike in the picture). After a couple of rounds strong hand I realized that I was aiming with the "wrong" eye. I got severely distracted and lost time sorting out my eyes. The same thing happened weak hand on the other side of the wall.

2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
When people shoot with both eyes open on irons is it the same as when you shoot both eyes open with a red dot? I can shoot both eyes open with a red dot perfectly fine, but when doing it with irons my weak eye is about half closed.  If I leave it all the way open I can't see my rear sight, but with half closed everything is in perfect focus.  I wasn't even really sure it was open until I covered my dominant eye to see what I could with my weak eye!  Anyone else Experience this?
What you describe with irons is the same for me. Open both eyes and the rear sight practically disappears. The scotch tape on the glasses on the weak does work well for me. I can see under, over and to either side of the tape but it blocks my view of the sights when aiming so I don't have to squint.

I've been trying to wean my way off the tape in dry fire. I can get a decent sight picture on the front FO but that rear sight is pretty damn blurring. It may be good enough for closer speed shooting but for anything that requires accuracy, I will have to squint that one eye.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

After shoot half a year red dot, it's difficult for me to do front sigh t focus with both eye open. so I decided to close one eye temporarily when I need to shot front  sight focus at production national after 3 days open national.

On 11.03.2017 at 03:13, Hi-Power Jack said:

Я всегда стрелял в оба глаза, но никогда не проезжал мимо С с железными прицелами железные прицелы :(

Стрельба открытыми глазами кажется мне очень естественной - я не могу себе представить

бегая с одним глазом закрытым .....

Но, как все говорят, если вы - циклопы, то потребуется некоторое время, чтобы

развивать бинокулярное зрение.    :) 

thanks for this post 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started out shooting skeet so closing one eye feels horribly unnatural to me. Sometimes I lose the sight picture but as someone else said, a slight squint with my non dominant eye always helps pick it right back up. 

For anyone who wants, they make a product called Magic Dots that are words better than scotch tape or chapstick if you’re trying to transition. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been working on it for a year and still not doing terribly well.  I'm in my mid 50's and if I really want to see sharp like at a longer range target there is no comparison.  One eye closed works better.  I think the Red dot sight helps a lot.  I know some accomplished rifle shooters that insist on keeping both eyes open but wear a shield in front of the weak eye.  It is supposed to relax the face muscles and help in some way.   I still keep trying, Good luck.

Anyone only have one good eye? At about 12 yo I lost the sight in my left eye from an accident. It’s like having a #13 shade welding lens over it.  Fortunately I’m right handed but it’s kind of crazy that I still want to close that left one when I shoot. It seems to sometimes sharpen the focus of the right one when I do. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 3:26 PM, rowdyb said:

i never ever could shoot as good with two eyes as with one. so i stopped. with iron sights at least. with the dot in CO i shoot both eyes just fine for 80% of the shots and have to squint on a few.

if you're shooting M in Prod at A1 then i totally want you to shoot the match both eyes open, hahahaha. (i don't think you can make the change in 20 days)

Is A1 prod tough competition?

On 7/12/2020 at 3:45 PM, Farmer said:

Anyone only have one good eye? At about 12 yo I lost the sight in my left eye from an accident. It’s like having a #13 shade welding lens over it.  Fortunately I’m right handed but it’s kind of crazy that I still want to close that left one when I shoot. It seems to sometimes sharpen the focus of the right one when I do. 

My left eye is kinda messed up, also from an accident. I can see light and shapes just fine but not a lot of detail, especially at distance. Fortunately I am right eye dominant.

I learned to shoot shotguns before anything else, so shooting both eyes open feels pretty natural to me. I used to shoot 3 position air rifle & small bore rifle when I was in highschool and into college, and I had a little piece of plastic I would attach to the rear sight to occlude the target from my left eye. This was to avoid having to hold my left eye closed; when I held it closed for long periods I always wound up squinting with my right eye, and it caused a lot of fatigue issues. That was really the issue, avoiding fatigue.

Outstanding thread!  I've had cataract surgery so use 2/3 meter monovision in my right eye for front sight focus.  The slight blur doesn't affect the closer targets, but when things step out to 20+ yards I loose target contrast under poor lighting conditions.  Practicing for steel challenge we don't paint as often as we should and a white target with black splotches begins to appear more gray against the sand background.  It helps to avoid squinting, but I'm having trouble avoiding same.  I'm going to cover up the left lens and see if that helps. 

At first a few days only. After my eyes had a laser-operation, it took me about 3 month to stop seeing strange sightpictures in recoil, with both eyes open. My eyes somehow switched to left eye dominance in recoil. 😃

At first a few days only. After my eyes had a laser-operation, it took me about 3 month to stop seeing strange sightpictures in recoil, with both eyes open. My eyes somehow switched to left eye dominance in recoil. [emoji2]
I had similar issues after Lasik. But my biggest issue is that my distance vision is so damn sharp, much more than closeup, its virtually impossible for me to shift focus to my front sight quickly. I found myself in constant target focus. Well, until I got Rx shooting glasses.

I got them so the dominant eye (rigbt) is corrected so I can see my front sight clearly. The left lense is uncorrected. This was a game changer for me. I am now able to easily and clearly shift between front sight and target focus quickly. And I see both clearly. This also helps me shoot with both eyes open as a side effect with no trouble seeing a clear sight picture.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk