Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resources for Prone Shooting

JonSnow

I finally got my RPR all set up and I'm sighting it in Saturday.  My goal is to start shooting PRS style matches.  I have a lot of experience shooting offhand but almost none shooting prone.  Anyone have a good website/video/wrote-up on building a stable prone position for shooting off a bipod?

No site suggestions but would be glad to chat about it,

i use use a sand sock left hand for rear bag and elevation..   Well rice sock.    I'm trying out a sock with large sand/ tiny pebbles now.

get a body position that gets the rifle to recoil straight back .....usually in line ish with rifle, faster second shot acquisition.  

often over looked tool is.   Scope level.   I did't break sub .20 moa until I started using one.

find out if your gun and shooting style likes to "load" bi pod.    Parker hale style pod is easier.   Harris not as easy. Some shoot better without loading.....

use a sleeping bag mat if your going get a lot of belly time.   

Observe and learn  breathing control / pattern, pulse timing 

PRS doesn't really have as much prone shooting as you think.  Obviously its a necessary position to master, but generally PRS is more like awkward supported shooting positions without names kinda thing.  One stage you might be shooting reverse kneeling over a big rock, the next your shooting off the low limb of a tree. Not to distract from your original post, just a point worth mentioning.

I recommend getting a decent assortment of bags and figuring out what you like.  I personally like armageddon gear bags, just because they have a lighter fill than some of the others.  If your shooting with a bipod, get some Hawk Hill or some kinda spiked feet so you can front load the rifle without it rolling forward on you in prone.  I have a few different bipods and I really like the Atlas but I always ended up going back to the Harris for various reasons.

6.5 Guys has a youtube channel with some awesome information.  Best thing to do IMHO is find the closest club that has PRS matches, and just show up!  Seriously :)

Lee, good to know; I'll definitely check out 6.5 guys.  I should have clarified though, the match closest to me has 2 divisions, a prone division and an obstacle division.  It was recommended that I start in prone so I can focus on learning wind calls, dope, etc before adding the complications of unstable positions.  I was also thinking of shooting an F-class match or two, also for practice wind calling.

Can I pretty much count on supported improvised positions?  I was planning on practicing traditional kneeling and sitting positions with a sling but if I'm never gonna see those in a match I can focus on other stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...