Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Bullet vs Scope adjustment

SVI4ME

I read the posts about which wieght bullets from a AR. Some were saying that they use 69 or (?) for long range and 55 for everything else.  I like the 69 gr Sierra's and Winchester 55gr FMJBT.  But I find that they have two very distint Point Of Impacts.  Do people use different bullet weights for a single match????  Or decide which bullet to use and sight in with that bullet ?

At close range (5-40 yards), most everything seems to shoot to the same point of aim. I can shoot 55's, and 69/77's at under 50 yards with my red dot and get pretty much a wash (I zeroed the red dot with the 69 grain Match King @ 40 yards).

My JP open rifle (20" 1:8), shoots the Sierra 69, and the Sierra 77 to same point of aim at 200 yards (there is about a 1/2" group center offset up, and to the left for the 69's, but that's OK with me, at 200 yards I always use the 77 anyway). The powder charges in the 69 grain loading were adjusted slightly to tune this.

My 55 grain FMJBT load @ 3150 fps needs 1 MOA of downward sight correction from the 69/77 loadings to be on at 200 yards. In matches, I shoot 69's on the hoser stages, and use the 77's on all stages that have long distance shooting involved.

The 55's feel so different in recoil impulse that I won't use them for practice anyway.

Regards,