Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Data for Trubor 38SC

taxil343

Just picked up a Trubor in 38 Super, plan to shoot SC. I have done quite a bit of reading about the various open gun powders and found a great deal locally on an 8lb jug of Accurate #7. I plan to use 124gr PD JHPs. Anyone out there have charge weight and OAL recommendations specifically for a Trubor and these components? Thanks in advance. 

AA#7 is great for major loads in the 38 super, not so great for low minor or power puff loads used for steel challenge as it tends to burn dirty at low pressures...which is what I think your SC stands for?

If you can, try a faster powder.  The usual suspects like 700x, WST, WW231, red dot, American select, etc.  will all be much cleaner burning and give you less recoil.   You may have to tinker with your springs and load up to what runs your gun to run the lighter loads if the gun was set up for major.   

3 hours ago, Bamboo said:

AA#7 is great for major loads in the 38 super, not so great for low minor or power puff loads used for steel challenge as it tends to burn dirty at low pressures...which is what I think your SC stands for?

If you can, try a faster powder.  The usual suspects like 700x, WST, WW231, red dot, American select, etc.  will all be much cleaner burning and give you less recoil.   You may have to tinker with your springs and load up to what runs your gun to run the lighter loads if the gun was set up for major.   

I was referring to super comp. Will be loading somewhere around 170pf for USPSA open division. Sorry for the confusion. 

#7 will work fine, but like mentioned, might be just a hair dirty. 

If you can swallow the price, you won't do any better than 3n38 or 3n37.   

1.24" is a good 38SC length, and with AA#7 10grs would be a decent place to start. Will most likely take a little more than that to get to 170pf though. 

51 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

#7 will work fine, but like mentioned, might be just a hair dirty. 

If you can swallow the price, you won't do any better than 3n38 or 3n37.   

1.24" is a good 38SC length, and with AA#7 10grs would be a decent place to start. Will most likely take a little more than that to get to 170pf though. 

Thanks Steven. I just placed an order for some bullets, went with 124gr .355s as this seems to be most popular. What is your take on 115 vs 124? I'm looking for the easiest/most pleasant shooting option for Candace if it helps...

28 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

124s was the right choice.   Once shes comfortable with the gun, you can try some 115s and she what she things, but will probably feel a little more violent. 

You went with 124jhp not fmj correct?

Yes, I got the JHPs. Good to know... That's what I'm hoping to avoid as much as possible.

Ok, I misunderstood.   Sorry.

I use and like AA#7 for major.  In my guns with 5.4" barrel with three ports i get 170-ish pf with 124gr jhp at 1.235" with 10.2gr AA#7. Been chroming this load for the last three lots I've used (all post 2012 and made at St. Mark's in Florida) and it has been very consistent, so 10.0gr is not a bad place to start and adjust as required.

Edited by Bamboo

13 hours ago, Bamboo said:

Ok, I misunderstood.   Sorry.

I use and like AA#7 for major.  In my guns with 5.4" barrel with three ports i get 170-ish pf with 124gr jhp at 1.235" with 10.2gr AA#7. Been chroming this load for the last three lots I've used (all post 2012 and made at St. Mark's in Florida) and it has been very consistent, so 10.0gr is not a bad place to start and adjust as required.

Thank you.