Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sprints -- Can someone help me with a plan?

minnesota1

I'm 44 so I'm not a young guy looking to get so much quicker nor do I have visions of grandeur, but what I want is to feel better, get a little quicker, and get my heart beating good.  I started working out a couple of months ago and do a boot camp about 4-5 days a week and usually a day on an elliptical style machine as well.  I feel a lot stronger and in a lot better shape.  I don't want to spend countless hours jogging as I've always hated jogging.  Even as a former wrestler who could have run for nearly as long as I wanted I still hated it.  I always will.

That being said I'd like to have some type of program to run some sprints to supplement my current workouts.  My heart gets beating pretty fast during our boot camp, but I'd like to do a little more.  I guess I could just go out and do 50 yard dashes, but I figure in today's age there always seems to be a decent program out there to do so you do not do the same old thing day in and day out.  Any suggestions or links or constructive insights would be greatly appreciated.  It's been awhile since I've sprinted so I'll be on the Jr. High practice field at night where no one can see.  Hahaha!  

Thanks

If you want to get quicker, I really suggest doing suicides. A reason why we did suicides for tennis is so that we get quicker on directional transitions, which I feel are really good for USPSA. Suicides on a basketball or tennis court isn't very fun per se, but very effective! Best of luck.

24 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'll bite ...   what are "suicides"?

Suicides are sprints usually done on a basketball court or a tennis court. You start at the very last line on the court, and you sprint to the next (out of bounds or free throw).  You then immediately sprint back to the starting point. You then immediately sprint to the next line out (free throw line, 3 point line, half court line, etc). You do this until you've hit every line on the court and back to the starting point. It's absolutely miserable. Hope the explanation makes sense...

Edited by touji

I'd add I some plyometrics....   Start with air squats  with perfect form!.   Jumping air squats.     Box jumps. Seated air squat seated jumping squat,  seated box jump.

Explosive back squat ( light weights) 

Sled work.....  

High knee drills 

and dont forget forget posterior chain specific exercises......  Stif leg dead/ Romanian dead lift,.  Glute ham raise,.   Reverse hypers. ( finding a machine is like hens teeth) 

Edited by biglou13
Edit

Another thing you can try is 150's

Run up 25 yards, then back (total of 50 yards), 3 times ( total of 150 yards, hence the name of the drill) in 30 seconds.  Take a 60 second break then do it again.

Start with three reps then after a couple/few times do four, then five and so on.  The goal is to get each rep to 30 seconds or less.  It's okay to add reps even if you're not doing them all in 30 seconds or less as that builds your endurance.

Edited by clw42
moved parenthetical

Suicides would be good. You could also try some cone drills (we did them for both football and wrestling. Similar to suicides but for wrestling wed add in a shot or sprawl or something miserable at each cone, sprinting in between them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Tailor below to your needs/abilities.  Warmup and stretch.

Sprints for explosiveness(one-way): 10, 15, 20, 25, etc up to 50 yards

Sprints for agility (down and back):  10, 15, etc up to 25.

Intervals on track: (Fastest past 1 lap, jog 1 lap for recovery, repeat) 400 meter track.  As you build your recovery times, cut down on recovery lap, make it 3/4 lap, 1/2 lap etc

Fast past 2 laps, stop and rest for 2:30 mins, repeat.

Regular run: You don't need to run 5 miles to be good at 5 miles.  Run 2-3 miles at a comfortably uncomfortable pace (pace you won't puke or have to stop, but a pace that you couldn't do for more than the distance you are accomplishing).

Don't run everyday.  Let your body recover.  The older guys who run everyday have been doing it everyday since they were teenagers.  

Edited by Stickman301

I think once you are in your 40s you have to be very careful with sprinting.  Lots of warming up and stretching prior to max effort.  When the 300 meter dash was part of our PT test, we saw lots of injuries in the older guys.  Now I'm one of them....

I have found this great conditioning program, keeping up with your 4 year old.  Take him/her to a park and do everything they do.  Possible side effects include grey hair and full body soreness but it really helps your overall fitness and is great for bonding.  Kinda expensive though.

1 hour ago, Mushki25 said:

I have found this great conditioning program, keeping up with your 4 year old.  Take him/her to a park and do everything they do.  Possible side effects include grey hair and full body soreness but it really helps your overall fitness and is great for bonding.  Kinda expensive though.

Agreed.  Just got back from a  Disney Cruise with my 4 year old.......will take a week to recover.

3 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I think once you are in your 40s you have to be very careful with sprinting.  Lots of warming up and stretching prior to max effort.  When the 300 meter dash was part of our PT test, we saw lots of injuries in the older guys.  Now I'm one of them....

I thought they gave all you old guys Segway to ride.

If you want to combine shooting and exercise do my 10x10x10 drill.  The setup is box A has a target 10 yards in front of it box B is 10 yards to the right of box A, with a target 10 yards I front of it.   The drill is, start in box A, on the buzzer run to box B and shoot 1 shot on target B.  Run back to box A and repeat.  Do this for 5 shots on each target and figure your hit factor. Doing the hit factor is important because it stresses speed and accuracy.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love to add cone boxes and agility ladders to my sprint workouts. 

Set up a box where cones are 5-10 yards apart from each other.  Starting at one corner, run forward, then side step to the next one, backstep to the next one and side step back to the original, then explode forward for 15 yards or so.  You can change the size, directions as needed.  

Agility ladder is straight forward, tons of drills you can do on it.

I'm only 56, so 44 seems pretty young to me.

I do my sprinting during dryfire drills in the backyard. For example, steve andersons 'call it and leave it' drill, with anywhere from 10-30' between the two positions. I sometimes vary the targets, or put barricades at each position to lean around to shoot.  Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

Edited by motosapiens

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran across this post and thought I'd chime in...  I'll be 55 in a few months and have been shooting and training USPSA for about 4-1/2 years.  So far I've went through the tendonitis thing in the arms for about a year.  Had patellar tendonitis in my knees for about 14 months or so.  Strained something in my lower back during a match and wasted a couple of months with a physical therapist.  And have been dealing with intermittent pain in my strong hand wrist throughout the entire 4 years.  We won't even get into the bone spurs in my feet, or my crappy vision...

I find training for USPSA to be a great way to exercise, but it really took me a long time to realize that, though I have the will, my body just can't handle what I'm asking it to do.  According to my heart rate monitor I burn about 700-800 calories in a dryfire session with movement in my garage.  That's pretty significant!  I think the biggest thing I've learned is to do about 10 minutes of stretching and warmup exercises before dryfire, and at least some before a match.  Sometimes it's difficult at a match, but I think doing a deep squat for about 10 seconds just before you make a run is helpful.  I always include two 30 rep sets of 3 different dumbbell exercises before dryfire and an equal amount of pushups.  Just 5Lbs dumbbells.  Not enough to drain your strength, but it really gets your blood pumping before you go clamping down on your grips.  I think this solved my arm pain.  

After this I found that most of my major issues came from the gym.  While I think the gym is important and should not be left out, I have to be very careful.  My goal is to not hurt myself.  In fact I avoid the gym the week before a big match.  But sprints are my biggest problem.  You can't expect to move fast in a match if you never practice, but for me, I have to be very careful not to over do it.  

I ran across this about a year and a half ago and realized that I was having or had suffered from at least half the ailments they discuss, and the changes they suggested made a huge difference.  Lastly, I think it's difficult to find a trainer with enough experience to guide us older guys.  I mean, how often would they run across a 55 year old that wants to do the things we do?  

• 1 month later...

Mobility and glute activation are probably issues if you have not been doing this type of thing regularly.  Just google hip and glute exercises. Keep it simple to start.  Add it a fair bit of stretching and rolling for everything in the area... ITband/piraformis/hip flexor...  

Definetly be cautious of jumping right into a sprint regimen. Stress fractures shoukd be a concern. 

cone drills.  short quick sprints that have you change direction. I find that footwork and foot speed is better for competition then overall speed.  if you can run fast but it takes you 40 yards to get to top speed then  in most matches that will not help you.  you want to be able to move short distances quickly. 

you will also want to work on explosiveness.  strengthen your legs core and overall posterior chain.

When doing sprints do them is all directions. straight ahead.  backwards.  and laterally.  work on getting to top speed quickly and stopping quickly while still being controlled.