Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Hupperware

Gold Custom .38 Super RECENT Failure To Feed

I've got a Tanfo open pistol that I bought new, have about 5,000 rounds through. Everything shot through this gun has been 124 gn Montana Gold JHPs set to 1.240 using VV3n38 or AA7.

After the 5,000 rounds I disassembled the gun and gave it an ultrasonic bath. Not sure what happened but the gun now fails to feed. The round is wedged on the bottom corner of the feed ramp (which is polished).

Here is the video of it happening live:

The mag is a new MBX that has been loaded to capacity for 3 days to set the spring. It doesn't matter what mag I use, I get the same result.

Could this be caused by a loose (factory) extractor?

Loose extractor? - fast:

Your probably correct on the extractor possibly being the culprit. It does appear to be loose in the short video when you slowly pull the slide open and the round just falls out.. Remove the extractor and take a look for any chips in it, and if you want you can try an extra power wolff spring. Install the wolff spring first, and if there is no movement with the extractor, than only cut a 1/2 a coil off at a time, and keep checking until you get the desired result from the extractor. Also take a look at the tip of the ejector to make sure it is still all there. Possibly look at the underneath of the slide at the bottom of the breech face and see if there is a sharp edge there. Sometimes that might need a very slight contour to it, to help with feeding issues, I don't think after 5000 rounds this would contribute to your problems, but after playing with the extractor it might be something else to look at if your still having issues.

Some guys are having a few problems with there new Tanfoglio MBX mags and others are fine, it might need to be tuned a little but I'm not sure. I would have suggested going to an RN bullet but you have 5000 rounds of JHP with no problems till now, and the pic with the empty case jammed in the slide may suggest that you are probably correct about it being an extractor issue.  

Edited by gunnit

Some guys are having a few problems with there new Tanfoglio MBX mags and others are fine, it might need to be tuned a little but I'm not sure. I would have suggested going to an RN bullet but you have 5000 rounds of JHP with no problems till now, and the pic with the empty case jammed in the slide may suggest that you are probably correct about it being an extractor issue.  

I've been running the big MBX since it debuted at Nationals without issue. I have the same Feed issue on the Mecgars.

10 minutes ago, Hupperware said:

I've been running the big MBX since it debuted at Nationals without issue. I have the same Feed issue on the Mecgars.

I understand that, I'm just trying not to rule any possibilities out. 

No other possibilities. It's the extractor. Try a 9mm extractor too That will work better (info from ARy the great, he lives in the ethereal dimensions even post ban)

Edited by ryridesmotox

I once had an extractor chip on one of my Tanfos.  Failures ensued.  Take a good look at it to make sure that's not the cause.

Re-install it. The extractor appears to be the problem. It looks like you forgot to put the spring in or something. 

Spring is there, I have the Wolff one inbound from Henning as we talk.

Take the slide back apart.  visually inspect  the spring, extractor and the slot it lives in AND the firinf pin chsnnel. I suspect you dislodged a "hunk-o-crap" and it is interfering with the extractor. OR you deformed the spring OR you pounded the pin into the extractor on assembly damaging it OR curled a metal shaving into the slot.

(Hard to say exactly  from here! )

Clean everything "white glove", lube with dry lube spray and reassemble.

Edited by johnbu
typi

Changed to a 9mm extractor... having the same issues. A little less frequent but it's still jamming a round into the bottom left edge of the feed ramp. Short stroke?

2 hours ago, Hupperware said:

Changed to a 9mm extractor... having the same issues. A little less frequent but it's still jamming a round into the bottom left edge of the feed ramp. Short stroke?

So is it not extracting the old case? From the quoted reply, it seems like its extracting, but now you have an intermittent feed issue.  Is that correct?  In the previous videos, it was not extracting at all.  If its failing to feed that's a different path of diagnosis.

Also, don't assume that the extractor will just drop in.  If dealing with these tanfos has taught me anything, ALWAYS assume that you may need to do some fitting.

Edited by ryridesmotox

So is it not extracting the old case? From the quoted reply, it seems like its extracting, but now you have an intermittent feed issue.  Is that correct?  In the previous videos, it was not extracting at all.  If its failing to feed that's a different path of diagnosis.

Also, don't assume that the extractor will just drop in.  If dealing with these tanfos has taught me anything, ALWAYS assume that you may need to do some fitting.

It was always extracting, however if you see in the videos it's very loose. Something is causing a nosedive. I can recreate the exact issue if I push on the top of the bullet as it's trying to feed. It will get stuck on the feed ramp in the exact same spot.

How tightly held is the extracted case?

Video of mine with a case.

As they say, one issue at a time.

On the nose dive, i "assUme" the mags are clean and the followers don't rub or bind. Yes?

Edited by johnbu

On the nose dive, i "assUme" the mags are clean and the followers don't rub or bind. Yes?

Yes, one mag is clean the other just came out of the mail from MBX. The older one I've been using since nationals. I tried a spring and follower replacement. I'll have the same issues with MecGar mags too, that's why I feel it's an issue just above the mag, somewhere in the ejection port space.

Thought I had her fixed. Had issues again. Area 2 of all places. I stuck the MBX mags in the bag after the 2nd stage and didn't have one issue. Since I'm glutton for punishment, I loaded up 100 round nose to try on Day 2...

Ran fine with round nose. All 100 I loaded to 1.250 ran. Spoke to Adrian at the match, he said the JHPs need to be run short. 1.220 is what he suggested. I will give them a try and see what happens.

Did you have a resution to your problem? I'm experiencing the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Sorry to resurrect, but what was the ultimate fix for the feed issue??  Also what recoil spring are you running (once fixed)?

Xpower spring new 9 mm extractor and supercomp brass , polish feed ramp, polish breechface bottom corner, 6 lb spring stroke 0.25 inch , 1.235 oal, jhp 0 issues with Montana golds after mods were made, before that it was a s#!t storm of malfunctions 

Edited by Mlussoro