Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Bolt Rifle

TMC

What's the current vouge in tactical bolt guns with respect to caliber, barrel length and optics.  I was thinking about getting something so if I enter the bolt rifle compeition at the 3-gun nats and suck outloud, at least I'll have cool equiptment.  Or should I bring some old POS so I can blame the equiptment?

Spend all the dough you can, and if it says "Tactical" on it, you surely need two.  

My favorite Gucci gun is the new Sig with the rotary bolt.  Groovy polymer box magazine, tricky straight back pull bolt handle, fully floated barrel.  Way cool.  I don't know if it shoots any better than a POS Remington or Savage, but who cares?!!  It's Tactically Correct!!

Seriously, if I had the talent to justify it, I'd be looking hard at the Tubb 2000.  It's a real advancement and the price is reasonable considering what you're getting.  Hang on to your wallet and mosey on over to:  

http://www.zediker.com/tubb/t2k6mmbr.html

Eric

(Edited by EricW at 9:34 pm on Feb. 14, 2002)

• 4 weeks later...

If money was no object, I'd go with the Tubb rifle in 6.5-284 or .260 remington.  6.5s are definitely the way to go.  Highest ballistic coefficients, good velocities, low recoil (compared to .30 cals), less wind drift.  What's not to love?  You can bet that's what Voigt will be shooting.  You'll want enough barrel to get good velocities and that means at least a 24 incher, maybe 26.  I'd get a comp so you can see your hits.

The tubb allows you to use detachable box magazines and that's always an advantage.

As for scopes, Leupold or Nightforce.  I'd probably go with a Leupold 6.5-20X.  If you really want to be fancy have a custom reticle installed that has good hashmarks from 200 to 800 meters.  Otherwise, live, love and learn your zeros!

• 1 month later...

Kellyn,

Congrats on your at the 3-gun nats results!

Did Voigt shoot a Tubb?  I didn't make time at lunch and didn't want to get to the range at 5:45am to watch the bolt rifle match.

Jake Kempton won with a .223 AR-15 that he built with a deactivated gas system.  He was shooting 80 grain Sierra matckings in a winchester case, winchester primer and Re-15 powder.  He had a jakenator comp and a Leupold 6.5-20X scope.

Voight had a detachable box magazine fed 6.5-284 with a leupold scope.  I think it was an Accuracy International rifle.

Congrats Kelly, I saw Jake today..........I will be shooting it next year.   Did you shoot your DSA or the AR?  Good job, I tried to call you yesterday at work, but whoever answered said you were taking away someones constitutional rights...............thats my job dammit!  

Good Job last weekend!

• 8 months later...

I HAVE BUILT SEVERAL RIFLES FOR GUYS INTERESTED IN MANUAL RIFLE EVENTS AS WELL AS TACTICAL PRECISION EVENTS MOST WERE BASED ON REM 700'S IN EITHER 260 OR 308. THEY USUALLY OPT FOR A 10 ROUND DETACHABLE BOX MAG CONVERSION. NIGHTFORCE SCOPES MAKES A NP2R RETICULE THAT HAS 2 MOA ELEVATION  MARKS AND 5 MOA WINDAGE MARKS THIS ALLOWS QUICK HOLD OVER WITHIN CERTAIN RANGES. CHECK OUR MY WEB SITE ( http://www.defensiveedge.net ) FOR PICTURES OF RIFLES.

The absolute most" bang for your buck" is the Remington PSS M700. Probably in 308. I realize that  there are better long range rounds than the 308 BUT it is plentiful, easy on barrels, accurate, and easy to load for. All of which are much more important to a new shooter than the latest cutting edge bullet. And If money is no object the AI rifles are simply the best rifles in the world. They can take an increbible amount of abuse and still keep putting them in one hole.( well almost)