Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super Accurate Eggleston Munitions .401 Cal 180gr Bullets

CHA-LEE

58 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

Not knocking anything here, but is $60 more a case worth the slight increase in accuracy (Bayou vs EM)? I'm pretty sure Steoger shoots Blues and he does ok. 

Generally I feel like its the guns connection to the ground as opposed to the equipment. I put 3 inside a dime last night at practice freestyle with a STI and Bayous. I surprised myself with that level of accuracy, even though I know the gun will forever be more accurate than me.

So the question again is...What is a acceptable group size before you decide the equipment pairings dont match? 

60 bucks is to much for me, but thats also why I dont shoot JHPs like some people do. 

My personal accuracy requirement is all rounds touching at 10 yards off hand. If I suck at shooting off hand that day then I will shoot it from a supported position. If the group gets bigger than that there is likely a mechanical issue with the gun or some kind of ammo issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Attached to this post is a picture of the barrel rifling on my Limited gun after about 1500 rounds. This is with using 180gr .401 caliber Eggleston Munition bullets fired through it using Prima SV powder. The only barrel cleaning before this was running a bore snake through it a couple of times. I never have to scrub the barrel rifling or use chemicals to clean up the rifling. Every time I clean it I simply run the bore snake through it a couple of times and that is it. 

Rifling.jpg

@CHA-LEE have you loaded a lot of this powder?  Have you noticed any differences when using different batches?  Last year different batches of Prima V did have different fps with the same powder charge weights. 

Wondering if that was/is a thing with SV. 

Thanks, 

I have shot about 25K of Prima SV so far and have made multiple orders of that powder. But all of the LOT numbers on the powder I have are the same so I haven't noticed any velocity changes from one container to the next. Variations in velocity from one LOT to the next isn't uncommon. I have observed velocity changes from one LOT to the next on just about any other brand or type of powder I have used over the years. Expect to double check your velocity when switching LOT numbers and you won't get caught by surprise at the chrono stage when attending your next major match.

I find the comments on Eggleston coating being thin rather interesting.  This was a smash test I did a while back comparing Eggleston to Acme.  

Eggleston on the left and Acme on the right.  None of the Eggleston coating on the sides came off.

3C1A3B5A-6F0B-44DD-AF53-F9D161B917EB_zps

Edited by d_striker