Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
billdozer

New 3 gun scope Athlon midas 1-6

What's the eye box like on the Midas? I did a google search for reviews but no one mentions the how critical the eye relief is.

Edited by blacklab

I haven't noticed it being an issue, coming from a Swarovski to this. It's only giving up 2.5 ' in fov at 100 yards to the swaro. which is impressive, because the swaro is the king of the hill for fov in 1-6's.

Doesn't a wider FOV at 6x just means a scope isn't a true 6x? You can make any scope have a wider FOV by not turning your zoom lever up all the way.

That idk. Generally the swaro has the widest fov at 6x, compared to other premium 6x scopes. And if you did that your holds won't be correct

Bill,

You said on the 1st post that you used 69-69gr for this reticle. Have you tried it using 55gr (cheap ammo) or 62gr? How this reticle work for those types of ammo?

I've used 55gr out to 200 with it.  But i zero with 68 gr. I'm sure it'll work,  you'll just have to play with your zero distance. It's in strelok,  you can put your info in and see.

Can't find the reticle in Strelok for some reason. Have any in person pics of it?

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

That must be it, I only have Strelok +. Thanks for the pic.

I wish i had one of those phone mounts. Looking at long range targets are where this reticle shines. 

Had my buddy make it. It works very well. Much sturdier than any of the plastic ones I've saw.

I believe those are the only ones made for the midas. I was just in a hurry and had my kydex guy make this real quick. 

I’ve got one with the new reticle I’ll be shooting my first match with it mounted this upcoming Saturday.  Has anyone else used this with success since this thread died. 

Ive been shooting the midas and now the cronus 1-6 for over 2 years with great results and no issues.

Edited by billdozer
Spelling

Has anyone compared the Midas BTR gen 2 1-6 to the PST gen 2 1-6?

Seems like a fair comparison as they are close in price. I can tell from the specs/online info that the Vortex is a bit heavier, has a smaller center dot and made in the Philippines vs China, but would appreciate any feedback on differences in clarity, brightness or other optical quality.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

The vortex has a brighter dot. The glass was a wash between the 2. Both had nice glass. Imho the reticle is more useful in the midas. I don't recall about the fov. Eyebox was forgiving on both. 

Thanks BD, that info is helpful. I really like the new BTR reticle called ASTR4. if you helped design it, congrats!.

Currently running a Burris RT-6, my 1st 1-6 power scope and wonder if the PST and BTR gen 2s have better glass?

The RT-6 has some fisheye @ 1 power and the reticle is a bit busy for my taste, so curious if the other 2 are a step up in optical quality since they are also more expensive. 

Mark

That was a reworking of the original reticle to get the dot brighter. The holds are the same. We refined the other reticle added some features and moved that one into the cronus line.

Going to purchase the Gen 2 Midas BTR, compare it to the RT-6 and sell the least liked one, probably the RT-6 😉

Just need some time for shoulder to heal before I am cleared to resume shooting, couple of months. 

Nice! Let me know what you think. I've only saw a couple samples of the gen2, and they looked good. Hell im still shooting the prototype gen1 on my backup rifle.

How much better is the gen 2 Midas than the gen 1?