Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you track your progress?

LeviSS

I've been working a lot of drills out of Stoegers books, dry fire and live fire for a while now.

I have not been keeping track of progress, as I could easily see improvements in my performance.  Well, things have slowed down and I'm not noticing as big of gains.  I still think I'm improving, but it's kinda hard to tell.  

I have heard people suggest to have goals and to keep records to show your progress.  I'm starting to agree.  I need goals and to be able to see my improvement to stay motivated and focused.

How do you guys do it?  Do you just right it down in a notebook?  Do you use a spreadsheet?  Do you use a drill specific format or a generic format?  If anyone has a spreadsheet they want to share that would be great.

I'm thinking that I could make a sheet for specific drills with a line for the date, then several lines for each runs draw time, splits and transitions in the drill, and my hits.  Then after recording my runs on that date, I could file them by drill so I could flip back in time and see if I've improved.

Do you record every run during practice?  Do you just record you "cold" runs?

Sorry if this is rambling (I feel like I am), but I'm kinda thinking out loud and not sure what to ask.

How do you track your progress?

I keep a notebook as well.  There is also room for specific notes, for example if I'm working on El Prez with a major focal point on the turn, draw & first shot, then I'll note that in the book.  Also note if I'm trying to push speed that day, what any specific challenges appeared that day (difficulty acquiring site picture after reloads, etc.).

Comes down to the old adage; You can only know where you're going, if you know where you've been.

I've been using Anderson's book for the past few months which has a full page tracking grid for each drill. When I switch back to Stoeger's book, I'll either use something like this shooting journal that Annette put together or some sort of separate notebook. I agree that tracking your progress is very important if you want to continue to improve.

Is there a faster way to record your info?  I did this the other day and it seemed like it took me forever to get through 150 rounds.

Do you record every draw, split, transition, A hit, C hit, etc? 

Im working on having a custom spread sheet in google docs created to track training as well as import results from practiscore data.  Its going to cost me a few hundred bucks to have developed as I dont have the time to mess with it.  Once finished I could offer it to others for a low price just to recoup my cost.  

I like google docs because it can be accessed anywhere with internet.  And to me it beats dragging around notebooks that I tend to lose or my daughter uses to draw me pictures of dinosaurs.  

Levi - what are you trying to work on? I did the same for a while but after some coaching, I'm focusing on one or two things per drill.

IE - Movement between positions, all I really care about is the movement time.

Let's use Accelerator as an example drill:  http://benstoeger.com/index.php/gallery/23-second-category/86-the-accelerator

What do you want to work on? Figure out those one or two things and document.  Those could be draws (each distance), reloads, transitions, splits, total time, and points.  Way too much info to write on each drill.  Pick something to work on and go from there; is what I've been told.

On 2/27/2017 at 0:28 PM, SCTaylor said:

Levi - what are you trying to work on?

Right now it's picking up my speed at longer distances.  I've been shooting 25yd bill drills and 25yd doubles.  I'm also trying to refine my draw/index at distance.

6 hours ago, LeviSS said:

Right now it's picking up my speed at longer distances.  I've been shooting 25yd bill drills and 25yd doubles.  I'm also trying to refine my draw/index at distance.

Try the accelerator drill for this. 

I built a google spreadsheet- has Master and GM times listed- previous average, new average time, my best time and 10 columns for string 1-10.  I have a an android tablet that goes to the range with me. 

The times I use are based on scoring 100% with the slowest time I can shoot it in to make M85% and GM95% HF.  Some I adjusted if the drill only has headboxes available and I calculated time base on Alpha/Bravo hits per target. 

Edited by ScottieShootz

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2017 at 7:28 AM, ScottieShootz said:

I built a google spreadsheet- has Master and GM times listed- previous average, new average time, my best time and 10 columns for string 1-10.  I have a an android tablet that goes to the range with me. 

The times I use are based on scoring 100% with the slowest time I can shoot it in to make M85% and GM95% HF.  Some I adjusted if the drill only has headboxes available and I calculated time base on Alpha/Bravo hits per target. 

Do you want to sell that spreadsheet?

22 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

Do you want to sell that spreadsheet?

i can email it to you.  just message me your email.  it doesnt have every classifier on it, just the ones I can manage to set up myself for dryfire or range practice.

15 hours ago, ScottieShootz said:

i can email it to you.  just message me your email.  it doesnt have every classifier on it, just the ones I can manage to set up myself for dryfire or range practice.

Thats awesome ill PM you now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/23/2017 at 8:51 AM, SCTaylor said:

I keep a notebook as well.  There is also room for specific notes, for example if I'm working on El Prez with a major focal point on the turn, draw & first shot, then I'll note that in the book.  Also note if I'm trying to push speed that day, what any specific challenges appeared that day (difficulty acquiring site picture after reloads, etc.).

Comes down to the old adage; You can only know where you're going, if you know where you've been.

Agreed! 

Keeping a notebook for both live fire and for dry fire practice. This helps me keep track of how I am doing on both. Then I try to compare that to my matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may not be exactly what you're referring to, but I've been tracking my overall match results in detail; where I placed, % of the leader, % of total points compared to the leaders, and also keeping a comparison of where I am next to a few guys that have been at all the same matches I have. 

One guy in particular is a really good local shooter.  Five months ago, if it took him 100 seconds to shoot a match, it took me about 190-200 seconds.  Now, if he's at 100 seconds, I'm at 130-140.  Where I took off an entire minute, I have no idea.  But it's a little frustrating that I still need to take off another 30 seconds.  lol

9 minutes ago, wdfwguy said:

This may not be exactly what you're referring to, but I've been tracking my overall match results in detail; where I placed, % of the leader, % of total points compared to the leaders, and also keeping a comparison of where I am next to a few guys that have been at all the same matches I have. 

One guy in particular is a really good local shooter.  Five months ago, if it took him 100 seconds to shoot a match, it took me about 190-200 seconds.  Now, if he's at 100 seconds, I'm at 130-140.  Where I took off an entire minute, I have no idea.  But it's a little frustrating that I still need to take off another 30 seconds.  lol

Works for me. Also does not let things hide, if you are not going after the low hanging fruit then you know it. 

Precise timing of the bits and pieces is nice when you are comparing different techniques / loads / equipment / equipment positions or if that is part of what makes you enjoy the practicing & the shooting. 

1 hour ago, wdfwguy said:

No offense, but if you do mot know how you reduced the time, it's really tough to keep getting better.

As I said before, logging times on standard drills (from training books or classifiers) allows you to drill down on what needs fixin', what is the biggest gap at that time period, and how to attack them. Start tracking that data to make true progress.

Edited by SCTaylor

4 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

No offense, but if you do mot know how you reduced the time, it's really tough to keep getting better.

As I said before, logging times on standard drills (from training books or classifiers) allows you to drill down on what needs fixin', what is the biggest gap at that time period, and how to attack them. Start tracking that data to make true progress.

It would be interesting to compare methods of all the GM and super squad types & see if there is a lot of conformity of approach. Not saying their might not be just saying I would like to know.