Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swage military 9mm options

Fatso

Hi guys!

I have a bunch of 9mm brass that needs to be swaged. I'm planning on using it for 9 major. I do not, however, have a swager. From my reading, I've determined there are a few options, and I'd like for all of you guys to chime in with suggestions, and help me tighten up my shot group a bit....

1. I have a converted RL450 (now mostly a 550b--incomplete). I could grab the Swageit, an extra 9mm shell plate & start rocking. I'd put a universal decapping die on station 1, punch the primer, swage, and it would be ready for my other fully configured 550b. Right?

2. Deburring bit & drill. Punch primer, pull brass back out, open the primer pocket, rinse / repeat? Possible negatives--open the primer pocket too much?

3. Franklin prep station?

4. Sell everything, buy a 1050, apologize to the wife, and it swages as you load, right?

5. Dillon super swage. Tough on the arm, slow, but pretty straightforward.

What am I missing? Thoughts?

I'm leaning toward the swageit since I have a spare press anyway...? What have I missed?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I chuck up a hornady pocket reamer in a cordless Drill and go to town. One touch of the trigger and no more crimp. It's tedious but gets the job done. I load 9MAJOR as well. Primer pockets are nice and tight since the tool really won't let you over do it

59 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I chuck up a hornady pocket reamer in a cordless Drill and go to town. 

Its been a while since I got a batch of crimped 9mm brass but I also use the Hornady pocket reamer in a cordless drill.  

It may be tedious but its much faster than swaging it out with an RCBS swaging tool in a Rock Chucker.

And the brass works just fine in 9 Major.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-390750-Primer-Pocket-Reamer/dp/B000NOORPW/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1487652451&sr=8-11&keywords=hornady+tool

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Thanks for the advice guys.

Since it's the cheapest way, I grabbed a universal decapping die, a shell plate, and the RCBS crimp removal tool (appears to be idiot-proof, an important feature). I'll muddle through until I can grab a 1050!

On 2/21/2017 at 0:53 AM, Fatso said:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Since it's the cheapest way, I grabbed a universal decapping die, a shell plate, and the RCBS crimp removal tool (appears to be idiot-proof, an important feature). I'll muddle through until I can grab a 1050!

Ive used the Hornady and the RCBS, and I prefer the RCBS even though they both do the same thing.  And yes, they are idiot proof :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...