Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Linksys Router Model Befsr41

btplus

Just replaced the old router with this new model. The one I now have is Linksys Model BEFSR41. The router keeps loosing set up numbers [primary and secondary DSN] Seems to happen after 10 to 20 min of inactivity..Any Ideas??

Just replaced the old router  with this new model. The one I now have is Linksys Model BEFSR41.  The router keeps loosing set up numbers [primary and secondary DSN] Seems to happen after 10 to 20 min of inactivity..Any Ideas??

No specific ideas except that you might try to update a firmware. I was running an BEFSW41 in a coffee shop for a while and it turned out to be almost completely non-functional. I replaced it with an older WAP54G and haven't had any problems since.

These things go bad from time to time. A replaced a BEFSR41 at a friend's business that was losing connectivity every 20 minutes and all was well (he had already tried the firmware upgrade).

I also had a Linksys print server go toes up on me as well, so I am not that excited about Linksys quality.

I went through 3 Linksys routers before wising up and getting a Netgear. It's been solid for the last 2 years. The Linksys would hang, not renew dhcp and all kinds of little quirks.

I also had a Linksys print server go toes up on me as well, so I am not that excited about Linksys quality.

It is what it is, namely cheap. I just put in a couple Cisco access points in my office which cost around $600 each. They're damned spiffy, but probably overkill for home use. They do have a neat feature such that they can be set to monitor the spectrum and use the least-used channel. I have them setup to automatically switch between 1,6, and 11 (the three non-overlapping channels).

Linksys is the mark of quantity, not quality. But for $40 bucks, whatayawantanyway?

I have few, if any problems with them and pretty much use them exclusively with my clients. I usually buy from someone like CompUSA so I can just walk back in and grab another if they are flaky. That's why I don't buy stuff like this online, can you say easy exchange.

The trick in buying one is to pick a box that hasn't been taped shut again and is factory sealed. Tape usually means a defective return just re-stocked and you will be taking it around the block again ;-)

I find that once one works right out of the box, it usually works long term.

Always buy the most recent stock possible (another reason for the larger stores) as the firmware is going to be more current right outadabox.

--

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Like most people have said, it's a very common problem esp. with the older routers. Whether it be Linksys, Dlink, Netgear.

I have setup 50 +, and I used to say that one brand was better than the others or more stable, but as the years went by, it seems that all the manufacturer have there own problems.