Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultra lightweight single stack build?

ksf141

I am considering building a dedicated single stack steel challenge open gun and am curious what peoples thoughts are on building the lightest weight single stack rig bottom end.  With a 2011 style gun there is obvious weight savings in the polymer frames. Im not aware that a polymer frame single stack 1911 frame exists (why not?). 

1) Use a standard steel 1911 frame and be done with it? Provide lots of lightening via the top end/slide etc.

2) use an alternate material 1911 frame such as aluminum (Caspian/Foster) or a specialty alloy like Smith Wesson's Scandium allow frame.

3) something else I dont even know about?

Thanks for your thoughts.  

there are a few aluminium 1911 frames around but their reliability has been questioned. 

if you want ultra-light SC open gun I'd go with a regular width 2011 frame with polymer grip. no magwell (or aluminium), plastic or aluminium MSH. titanium strut + MS cap. plastic STI trigger. single sided scope mount with an RTS2. dustcover cut right back to the front scope mount screw. Short slide and barrel with small aluminium or titanium comp. no racker. slide cut to hell front and rear and inside too. 

I have played with a SC gun like that. it's super light and shoots very fast. :)

• 2 weeks later...