Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Quick Holster Question

pisgahrifle

OK, so, one of my new shooting buddies here in NoVA wants me to shoot an IDPA match with him. I still have a current card so I figure, what the hell. I was dry-firing earlier and happened to glance in the mirror on the vanity and discovered something- I can see daylight between the belt and holster loop! Now this wasn't my "new rulebook illegal" rig I bought in January that I'm now using for Single Stack- this is my old-school Yaqui Slide. Leather, retains the gun, cocealable, flush against the body. Is this holster really illegal? Also, have the new rulebooks shipped? Another Tactical-thingie come out? Or has Berryville just cut me off?

You will need to ask at the match. If I were the SO I would not say a word but I am easy.

The only honest answer that can be given on this question without seeing any holster is "It depends on where you shoot". For every answer that says it is OK, there can be another that says no.

Take what you have, go to the match, and have a good time.

Sorry for being so vague,

PS: Please excuse the poor typing hands are not working well this week so a lot of double strikes on keys.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Rulebooks came with the TJ. They are still creeping out to houses, as they are still not all delivered yet. (friend got his today FWIW)

I know my Galco brand Yaqui slide shows daylight while my Don Hume brand doesn't. Unfortunately the daylight rule does not apply itself well to this style of holster as both are pretty tight to the body and pretty good for CCW. (I hate them for carry, but that's another topic)

Best I can suggest is either to wet mold the holster to reform the belt channel, or talk to the MD beforehand, or shoot the match and see what develops.

FWIW I still write letters to HQ saying the daylight rule is flawed, citing new examples of why it is a bad idea.

Ted

I had HQ explain to me that as long as the holster did not exhibit "an excessive amount of daylight" it would be approved.

We're taking this at our club to mean light from the top to the bottom of the belt tunnel with an offset is bad, but if it's not offset by any great amount but is showing light at the top and/or bottom we're not going to give anyone a hard time about it.

But it's wide open to interpretation. Frankly, I'd just show up and see what they say. As long as you're up front about asking when you get there, the worst case I can see is that you shoot for no score, right?

- Gabe

OK, so, one of my new shooting buddies here in NoVA wants me to shoot an IDPA match with him.  I still have a current card so I figure, what the hell.  I was dry-firing earlier and happened to glance in the mirror on the vanity and discovered something- I can see daylight between the belt and holster loop!  Now this wasn't my "new rulebook illegal" rig I bought in January that I'm now using for Single Stack- this is my old-school Yaqui Slide.  Leather, retains the gun, cocealable, flush against the body.  Is this holster really illegal?  Also, have the new rulebooks shipped?  Another Tactical-thingie come out?  Or has Berryville just cut me off?

Technically it is illegal.

As others have said, the problem is understanding ahead of time if a holster will be declared illegal by a paricular MD.

Personally, if the holster meets the other rules (3/4" or less from the body, etc) and a sliver of light showed through the tunnel, no problem.

If this is a club match, you're probably OK anyway. Even if they think that holster is illegal, they probably won't make you go home.

The MD I talked to when I accidentally dropped by this club's matches a few months ago said they were "strictly observing" the new rules, so I guess I'm SOL- especially as old as my card is. There's a USPSA club nearby that charges the same for range fees, so I'll see if I can't talk my friend into shooting Prod. and I'll go L10. Thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...
OK, so, one of my new shooting buddies here in NoVA wants me to shoot an IDPA match with him.  I still have a current card so I figure, what the hell.  I was dry-firing earlier and happened to glance in the mirror on the vanity and discovered something- I can see daylight between the belt and holster loop!  Now this wasn't my "new rulebook illegal" rig I bought in January that I'm now using for Single Stack- this is my old-school Yaqui Slide.  Leather, retains the gun, cocealable, flush against the body.  Is this holster really illegal?  Also, have the new rulebooks shipped?  Another Tactical-thingie come out?  Or has Berryville just cut me off?

You'd buy a new holster and shoot with me? I'm honored!

There's a USPSA club nearby that charges the same for range fees, so I'll see if I can't talk my friend into shooting Prod. and I'll go L10.

Oh, so now you want me to buy a new pistol? We'll see who makes it to the paper first in the morning. <_<