Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AccuShadow vs. Tac Sport Orange

CosmosMpower

I don't currently do any competition shooting but may consider it in the future.  For now I'm looking for a super accurate fun 9mm range toy.  Which gun would you guys say is more accurate between the SP01 AccuShadow and Tactical Sport Orange?  

I'd love to hear about any general pros and cons for each gun as well.

TSO, it's got a longer barrel. TBH, accuracy will be more affected by the shooter though. If you want to do USPSA, I'd get a TSO in .40 since you'll be at a disadvantage competing in limited minor. If you're intent on getting  a 9mm, I'd get the SP01 AccuShadow so you can compete in production without any disadvantages.

This probably isn't the smartest idea but I don't want to buy a gun based on any classing as it's unlikely I'll be doing competition shooting in the near future and I really do not like .40 S&W.  Am I correct in saying the TSO is in a higher class (limited) out of the box but the Accu Shadow can still shoot in production?  I know very little about classing for USPSA, IDPA, IPSC etc.

Edited by CosmosMpower

3 minutes ago, CosmosMpower said:

This probably isn't the smartest idea but I don't want to buy a gun based on any classing as it's unlikely I'll be doing competition shooting in the near future and I really do not like .40 S&W.  Am I correct in saying the TSO is in a higher class (limited) out of the box but the Accu Shadow can still shoot in production?  I know very little about classing for USPSA, IDPA, IPSC etc.

The TSO can only shoot in limited because of its rarity + SAO trigger.

The SP01 can shoot in limited or production.

In limited, there's major and minor scoring based on power factor (caliber, velocity taken into account). I suppose you could load 9mm major, but I imagine those pressure levels will be pushing it (someone else with reloading knowlege can comment here). In .40 you'd make major PF easily. 9mm you would be in minor PF.

http://www.rbgc.org/USPSA/USPSAscoring.htm

Thanks guys, I do prefer a SAO trigger.  Was originally thinking about getting a STI 1911/2011 9MM but had the chance to check out a CZ TS (non orange) in a local store and was blown away by the trigger, weight and balance.  I did not like the wood grips or sights so I think the TSO might be a great gun for me but I've read some great things about how accurate the accu shadow is.

For the SP01 does it go, base SP01, Shadow Target, then Accu Shadow from "worst" to best?

Edited by CosmosMpower

1 minute ago, CosmosMpower said:

Thanks guys, I do prefer a SAO trigger.  Was originally thinking about getting a STI 1911/2011 9MM but had the chance to check out a CZ TS (non orange) in a local store and was blown away by the trigger, weight and balance.  I did not like the wood grips or sights so I think the TSO might be a great gun for me but I've read some great things about how accurate the accu shadow is.

For the SP01 does it go, base SP01, Shadow Target, then Accu Shadow from "worst" to best?

If you Cajunize the SP01, it'll be pretty much just like an AccuShadow. I shot a CTS and it was absolutely amazing, but they really can't be compared.

3 minutes ago, Ontos said:

.357 SIG isn't legal for Limited Major.

It is. https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-announcements-details.php?Rulings-on-holster-distance-USPSA-Handgun-Rules-231

Is not in the rulebook because it was voted on and passed after the current rulebook came into effect. But it IS legal as of Jan 1 2015

Edited by js1130146

1 hour ago, CosmosMpower said:

I don't currently do any competition shooting but may consider it in the future.  For now I'm looking for a super accurate fun 9mm range toy.  Which gun would you guys say is more accurate between the SP01 AccuShadow and Tactical Sport Orange?  

I'd love to hear about any general pros and cons for each gun as well.

I own both, and I vote the AccuShadow.

If you're shooting competitivly, the TSO is amazing... But it's big, heavy, and kind of a one trick pony.  It won't even fit in a normal holster.  It's a specialized gun for a specialized role.

The AccuShadow(or otherwise hot-rodded  SP01) would just be easier to live with on a day to day basis.  

4 hours ago, Ontos said:

I own both, and I vote the AccuShadow.

If you're shooting competitivly, the TSO is amazing... But it's big, heavy, and kind of a one trick pony.  It won't even fit in a normal holster.  It's a specialized gun for a specialized role.

The AccuShadow(or otherwise hot-rodded  SP01) would just be easier to live with on a day to day basis.  

Thanks for the feedback.  On one hand most my guns are pretty normal duty/carry guns so if I spend 1500+ bucks I kind of want it to be "special"

I have two 9mm CZ's that I use. A CZ75B that is converted to SA, and now an Orange. I shoot matches most every weekend and the 75 has many tens of thousands through it.

My point is that, at least in my area, there are tons of matches. So, USPSA would one choice. But there are many others that 9mm SA guns works great. 3gun, 2gun, Tactical pistol matches, ZSA , steel challenge, and more.

I rarely shoot USPSA and when I do I shoot limited minor (both guns). So, if a TSO in 9mm is what you want, and USPSA is not a priority, go get yourself one.

Accushadow is amazing, too. Don't see you being unhappy with either gun.

9 hours ago, CosmosMpower said:

Thanks for the feedback.  On one hand most my guns are pretty normal duty/carry guns so if I spend 1500+ bucks I kind of want it to be "special"

NoKimberDave makes an excellent point. I always just assume USPSA, but the other matches you will be completely okay with 9mm. Is there a reason you don't want the TSO in .40 though? I shot the CTS in .40, and it was softer shooting my my 85C in 9mm.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:23 AM, CosmosMpower said:

Then go for the TSO... Banging steel at 100 meters with ease makes you feel all kinds of special!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:04 PM, CosmosMpower said:

Just shot my TSO yesterday, thing is nuts.  1 hole at 7, super tight groups still at 15, 1-1.5 inch groups offhand twice at 25 yards (could be pure luck).

@CosmosMpower   Did you get the 40 or the 9mm?

Edited by NCShadow2

I did find my TSO is more accurate at 25 yds using 115/124 gr bullets instead of 135/147 gr. My gun just didn't like 147's. 1.5" 10 shot group with Fiocchi 115 JHP benched at 25 yds.