Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NAS cases for 9 major

Dink

9 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:
18 minutes ago, Sarge said:
What Die? The only spring I know of is in a Dillon die that ejects spent primers?

The die you need to load shellshock cases. Since they are steel, you have to use a special sizer.

ooooh. Thanks. Another reason to avoid them.

ooooh. Thanks. Another reason to avoid them.
I don't really think so, by all accounts the die is well made and it can load Shellshock or brass cases. So if you bought the die then from then forward you could do both.

I think they are a good idea, and would be great for 9 or 38 major. But I have never bought a piece of 9 brass... So it's a no for me. If they can maintain their low prices and add 38SC, I think we could definitely see some super shooters moving away from starline.

Been using them for 6 months or so. While I don't load 9 major, I did drop 4.6 gr of WSF under a 147gr which had some extra pop.

71809abc0312dee08e52ea47e70ce2ea.jpg

dies are well made, but dues take some extra ooomph to cycle the press. I'd still buy more and I'd be down for more caliber options.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

15 hours ago, BlueOvalBandit said:

Been using them for 6 months or so. While I don't load 9 major, I did drop 4.6 gr of WSF under a 147gr which had some extra pop.

dies are well made, but dues take some extra ooomph to cycle the press. I'd still buy more and I'd be down for more caliber options.

Do you lube the cases?  If not you might try lubing just to make cycling the press easier.

10 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

Do you lube the cases?  If not you might try lubing just to make cycling the press easier.

Yes, I always use one shot. The root of the extra effort stems from the dies and how they work. There is essentially a piece of high density rubber that acts as a spring in both the sizing die and expander to "push" the case out of the die. The actual force required to size the cases without the spring is just a little more than brass, it's overcoming the "spring" that requires the extra oomph.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2017 at 1:28 PM, Dink said:

Yeh Sarge, I have no idea what pressure my loads are. 124gr at 1410fps but it is high enough to blow up cheap cases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, spydercomonkey said:

Here's a pretty interesting test. The cases survive 10x loadings of +p+ (124 @ 1300fps from a 4" barrel.)

Gentleman, you have to get the idea out of your heads that velocity tells you anything definitive about pressure.  Pressure has a lot to do with your powder selection/bullet weight/seating depth.  Dink, which powder are you loading which has resulted in blowing up cases, you chamber also plays a role, what type of pistol/barrel?

I've been loading 9 major for five years with whatever brass I can get my hands on (aluminum too ?) and my only case failures have come from stepped brass in one of my 2011s.

I am 3,000 Rds into my 9 Major. I sort out all stepped brass. I reload until I loose them at matches. That culls about 400 a month. 

Too date I have had 3 issues. All with Xtreme brand brass. Primers fell out after third loading. 

I run HS 6 and have lost count on reloads on some Winchester and Federal Brass. 

I agree with Kneeling Atlas on pressure vs speed!

If primer pockets are still tight, generally the rest of the case is fine! I do cull some for ejector marks.

Edited by Broncman

10 hours ago, Dink said:

Kneelingatlas,

I am using CFE Pistol behind a 124 MG HP. Shooting in DVC OPEN. Using any range pickup brass. 

CFE is on the fast side of 9 major powders, what type of primers are you using? How do they look?

When you say the cases blew up, did they break in half like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQASWUBZ0tss03TOoYvvNd

Kneelingatlas,

No, they blew out at the groove between the base and the main part of the case. In all cases tho it was a cheap one piece case. If i remember correctly they were all Tulammo cases. I always throw those away now.

11 hours ago, Dink said:

Kneelingatlas,

No, they blew out at the groove between the base and the main part of the case. In all cases tho it was a cheap one piece case. If i remember correctly they were all Tulammo cases. I always throw those away now.

Amazing, I never seen that in 9mm.  If it's just Tula I guess you have it licked.

On 3/30/2018 at 7:22 AM, kneelingatlas said:

Gentleman, you have to get the idea out of your heads that velocity tells you anything definitive about pressure

It is not clear what you mean. When using published data, the pressure is "inferred" by the published pressure that corresponds to the given velocity. That and pressure signs are all most of us have to work with. But yes, pressure vs velocity is not a linear relationship if that is what you are saying. And when increasing a charge does not give higher velocity, the reloader is entering the danger zone where the pressure can skyrocket.

15 minutes ago, lgh said:

It is not clear what you mean. When using published data, the pressure is "inferred" by the published pressure that corresponds to the given velocity. That and pressure signs are all most of us have to work with. But yes, pressure vs velocity is not a linear relationship if that is what you are saying. And when increasing a charge does not give higher velocity, the reloader is entering the danger zone where the pressure can skyrocket.

I agree with you that if you hold the powder and bullet constant, velocity and pressure roughly correlate, but that's not what I'm talking about.

What I'm saying is if you hold the velocity constant, pressure can vary greatly depending on your powder choice. So "124gr bullet going 1,300fps out of a 4" barrel" is no indicator of pressure without listing the powder used. For example: meeting those parameters using 3N38 is doable within the normal pressure range, whereas with Titegroup is probably not possible without component failure.

Edited by kneelingatlas

2 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

What I'm saying is if you hold the velocity constant, pressure can vary greatly depending on your powder choice. So "124gr bullet going 1,300fps out of a 4" barrel" is no indicator of pressure without listing the powder used. For example: meeting those parameters using 3N38 is doable within the normal pressure range, whereas with Titegroup is probably not possible without component failure.

That makes sense. And everyone should be aware of that if they want to reload safely.

20 hours ago, razorfish said:

They can be picked up with a Magnet! That could make things easier after a stage.

I think they might have better success with the 38 SuperComp crowd.

Yes the magnet is a really easy way to get your own brass back. 

Also a standard resizing die will pull them apart. 

• 1 month later...

After researching these cases and reading this thread and other reviews I’m leaning towards these cases for 9 minor. If for nothing else they would be great for my practice sessions. Being able to pick them up with a magnet would make cleaning up a breeze and Id probably loose at lot less cases. 

I shoot brass at the range, and for practice sessions, I typically come home with more empties than I shot.  That will never happen with these.  ;)  These cases are a solution looking for a problem.

On 5/8/2018 at 2:29 PM, IDescribe said:

I typically come home with more empties than I shot.  That will never happen with these.  ;)  These cases are a solution looking for a problem.

For 9mm, at least, it's hard to disagree with that stance.  I typically recover 90% or more at practice sessions, and at matches, it's more like 200%+, due to other shooters not bothering to pick it up, so I think of 9mm brass as free.  Even if you have to buy 9mm brass, it's only $0.03/case or so, so I have a hard time understanding how these could make good financial sense.  For other calibers, maybe the math would be different?