Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

June 2005

#2, again thanks to the wife. She likes Sean Connery.

Roy Scheider.

The Russia House with Sean Connery and Michelle Pfieffer

Seeing as I have read the book I should have remembered. Le Carre writes some good stuff.

Clearly send the book to my wife not me. <_<

She liked it, I was less enthusiastic.

I thought it was immensely well-acted. I just found the Jennifer Connelly character self-centered, self-righteous, cruel, obsessive and just generally nasty. If you look at the movie not as a love story but as a case study of a dysfunctional relationship of epic proportions, it becomes a lot more palatable in my opinion.

Well if you let me use some kind of data base I would have found the correct spelling. I just spell them as I hear them.

Besides who was looking at her surname.

Your right about the movie, she was great, but it just didn't do it for me.

Not enough guns??? As my wife says.

Since it's now July 1 (and hence, too late to answer), I'll answer #10. Penelope Cruz as Sofia Serrano in Vanilla Sky / Abre los ojos (Open Your Eyes)....

Just FYI, here is the answer key:

1. "It's not on the one, it's not the mambo. It's a feeling, a heartbeat."

- Patrick Swayze, Dirty Dancing, 1987.

2. "Quinn is Army from the anus up. He likes plain answers."

- Roy Scheider, The Russia House, 1990.

3. "You know, I believe if there's any kind of God, it wouldn't be in any of us, not you or me, but just this little space in-between. If there's any kind of magic in this world, it must be in the attempt of understanding someone, sharing something. I know, it's almost impossible to succeed, but who cares really? The answer must be in the attempt."

Julie Delpy, Before Sunrise, 1995.

4. "Oh, yes! Yeah! Step on up, sir! Come on, that's good! You gotta hold onto that fury! That's the last thing to go! That's the final hiding place. It's the final fig leaf."

- Al Pacino, Devil's Advocate, 1997.

5. "Suzie. Be good."

- Bill Murray, Wild Things, 1998.

6. "Pathetic, aren't they? Everybody wants to go to the party, but nobody wants to pay the piper."

- Elizabeth Hurley, Bedazzled, 2000.

7. "The key to a woman's heart is an unexpected gift at an unexpected time."

- Sean Connery, Finding Forrester, 2000.

8. "Be careful. Ambition is the ice on the lake of emotion."

- Jennifer Connelly, Waking the Dead, 2000.

9. "Oh, I see. So you came here to find out if I was crazy. Find out if I would screw everything up if I actually won. Dance around the podium, strip naked and squawk like a chicken, things of this nature?"

- Russell Crowe, A Beautiful Mind, 2001.

10. "Listen, I don't have a mother-savior bone in my body. It's not about that. You are coming inside. But if this turns out to be a big mistake, I do have the ability to fall out of love with you," [snaps fingers] "like that!"

- Penelope Cruz, Vanilla Sky, 2001.

• 4 weeks later...