Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

June 2005

Okay, by now you know the rules. More movie quote trivia. Name the movie and the actor/actress. From here on, no using an Internet movie data base, on your honor.

Here we go:

1. "It's not on the one, it's not the mambo. It's a feeling, a heartbeat."

2. "Quinn is Army from the anus up. He likes plain answers."

3. "You know, I believe if there's any kind of God, it wouldn't be in any of us, not you or me, but just this little space in-between. If there's any kind of magic in this world, it must be in the attempt of understanding someone, sharing something. I know, it's almost impossible to succeed, but who cares really? The answer must be in the attempt."

4. "Oh, yes! Yeah! Step on up, sir! Come on, that's good! You gotta hold onto that fury! That's the last thing to go! That's the final hiding place. It's the final fig leaf."

5. "Suzie. Be good."

6. "Pathetic, aren't they? Everybody wants to go to the party, but nobody wants to pay the piper."

7. "The key to a woman's heart is an unexpected gift at an unexpected time."

8. "Be careful. Ambition is the ice on the lake of emotion."

9. "Oh, I see. So you came here to find out if I was crazy. Find out if I would screw everything up if I actually won. Dance around the podium, strip naked and squawk like a chicken, things of this nature?"

10. "Listen, I don't have a mother-savior bone in my body. It's not about that. You are coming inside. But if this turns out to be a big mistake, I do have the ability to fall out of love with you," [snaps fingers] "like that!"

Well then, go ahead and make your one guess. That'll put you ahead of anyone else so far. ;)

I'm a little surprised at the lack of response. I was sure people would be all over 7, 9 and 10, for instance. I mean, these were MAJOR release movies from the past few years.

9. "Oh, I see. So you came here to find out if I was crazy. Find out if I would screw everything up if I actually won. Dance around the podium, strip naked and squawk like a chicken, things of this nature?"

Character - John Nash

Movie - A Beautiful Mind

Actor - Russel Crowe

OK, XRe has one correct. Since this month seems to be stumping people, we're going to be doing things a little differently here. This month you can't build on another person's answers. IOW, once you get an answer, that's "your" answer. XRe now has #9, one correct. There are nine more up for grabs.

Would you guys and gals like some hints? How about the year of the movie, and whether the speaker is an actor or an actress?

I thought about it, but it's kinda biased towards old, old IPSC shooters, (or people with complete FS collections) which are not the common occupants of BE.com, so I thought I'd just throw it out as a "complain too much about movies and this is what you'll get"....

I'm not sending anybody a book though.

Okay, in a PM gm iprod has given me the correct answer for the actress' name. Julie Delpy. So #3 is:

Julie Delpy, Before Sunrise.

With a week left in the contest, that means we're tied at one apiece by XRe and gm iprod. Eight answers still up for grabs.

Just to summarize, here are the clues for the remaining five quotes, all in one place.

1. 1987, Actor, initials P.S.

2. 1990, Actor, initials R.S.

5. 1998, Actor, initials B.M.

8. 2000, Actress, initials J.C.

10. 2001, Actress, initials P.C.

Okay, XRe has three (#s 4, 6 & 9). Just out of curiosity, how did you learn those last two?

I knew I'd heard those two, but couldn't remember, and had wracked my brain for them earlier in the month. The initials of the actor/actress helped for the Pacino one, and the Hurley quote just dawned on me one day.... when I saw it quoted in a completely unrelated way... (ie, I didn't go looking for it, just stumbled across it). The Pacino one just *reads* like him, but I wasn't getting it - I could feel that Pacino diction and fire reading it, though, and after I considered the intials, it made sense after I got thinking about the devil w/ the Hurley one :) Funny how the brain works associatively when you let it....

So - if you consider *any* outside influence against the rules, nuke the Hurley one :)

I suspect that those are the only three movies from that list that I've seen - the others simply don't ring any bells at all.... I could go searching, but that's against the rules :)

BTW - I've won recently - I don't think I'm eligible to win, so one of the other three guys needs to come up with another :)