Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have determined that 9mm Makarov is a communist plot to frustrate reloaders.

harleyfan

It is so rare to find anyone who shoots a Makarov and they usually religiously pick up their brass. More frustrating is 38 super in your 9mm brass because it often gets undetected until the powder drop station and then you have a mess.

Between stepped brass and crimped primers (I use a 650), I have gone to inspecting brass before I use it. I put some of those plastic carriers that  are used for .45 factory ammo into a box and dump the brass over them. When all the holes are full, I lift out each one and do a step/headstamp inspection by looking at one side and flipping the cases over to see the other side. That way it doesn't matter which way they load into the carriers. .380, 9x18 .38 are easy to find.

brass_inspect_1.jpg

brass_inspect_2.jpg

^^^ This!!!  I use a 100 round tray and dump all my recovered brass into a large plastic pan.  Makes it very easy to spot the odd balls.  I do this each time I return from range.  This way all brass has been inspected prior to getting into my process flow.  One or two out of several thousand may sneak by due to my old eyes, but this is an acceptable rate.

Edited by GregJ

I've missed a few 38 Supers, split brass & crimped primers in sorting, but it's easy enough to feel something is wrong when de-priming. Ignored that the first time & loaded a split case that failed the gauge.

The more you know!

Just a reminder of the forum guidelines...

Restricted Content
Politics 
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
• Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
• Gun Control Issues

This is not a free speech issue. As a privately funded and collectively ran "information exchange," we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.

And note that your post, avatar, and anything in your signature represent you, and your relationship with the Forum's Guidelines.

On 2/16/2017 at 11:17 AM, ChuckS said:

Between stepped brass and crimped primers (I use a 650), I have gone to inspecting brass before I use it. I put some of those plastic carriers that  are used for .45 factory ammo into a box and dump the brass over them. When all the holes are full, I lift out each one and do a step/headstamp inspection by looking at one side and flipping the cases over to see the other side. That way it doesn't matter which way they load into the carriers. .380, 9x18 .38 are easy to find.

brass_inspect_1.jpg

brass_inspect_2.jpg

Instead of lifting them out one by one get a matching tray.  That way you can look inside all 50 for steps and other problems, then flip all 50 over at once into a second try and look for primer pockets and head stamps or whatever. 

On 2/16/2017 at 11:31 AM, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I now sort by head stamp to help solve many of those type issues.

However if this continues to plague you call Putin - lol!

Won't necessarily help.  A lot of 9mm Mak reloaders will make brass by trimming down 9mm Luger cases.  

Generally though they're rare enough that it won't be many that slip through, and case gauging everything is just smart anyways, so you should catch them at that stage.  

Not quite as easy as .380 though (they feel way different going into the sizing die so if one of those slips through I can generally just tell that something was off on that cycle of the press).