Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics

chief74

I don't think so.  I don't see any threaded barrel models on the approved list, and a threaded barrel would be longer than the non-threaded factory barrel.

From App D7, 21.3:

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.

This might be worth a question to DNROI since Glock does offer OFM Threaded Barrel variants of the G19 now.  I don't know the answer to "is that model required to be on the Production list or is the G19 being on there enough?" or "Is there a G19 TB MOS variant where this is OFM?"

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Glock-19-TB-Handgun&i=914491

Edited by mreed911

Nope, the 19TB isn't allowed and a regular 19 with a factory TB barrel isn't either.

That's why the Glock/S&W/Sig sections are so ridiculously crowded, they have to explicitly name each variant type that is allowed, the problem with deciding what's allowed instead of just what isn't.

8 minutes ago, JimmyBob said:

Nope, the 19TB isn't allowed and a regular 19 with a factory TB barrel isn't either.

That's why the Glock/S&W/Sig sections are so ridiculously crowded, they have to explicitly name each variant type that is allowed, the problem with deciding what's allowed instead of just what isn't.

This depends ENTIRELY on how Glock sells it.  If they're selling it as the "Glock 17 Gen 4" and simply including a threaded barrel, per other NROI decisions that's not a different model (see discussions about models where varying barrel lengths were sold vs. putting a Glock 34 barrel in a Glock 17).  If they're selling it as the "Glock 17 TB" model that's a different story.

I suspect the answer is no but only DNROI can confirm if this is, in fact, a new barrel LENGTH offered on an existing model or a new MODEL with a different barrel.

9 minutes ago, JimmyBob said:

No, it's not even close.  Why is that such a common blurt out on this forum?

Because it's an interpretation around model.

If it's a Glock Model "17" now offered with this barrel from the factory then it's on the list - Glock 17 - and the different factory barrel doesn't invalidate the model.  The competitor's argument would be "This is a standard Glock 17 with a factory barrel in this length.  The Glock 17 is on the approved handgun list and the barrel is original equipment, not aftermarket."  How, as an RO, CRO or MD would you disallow this gun in that context?

If it's marketed/sold as a Glock Model "17 TB", it's not on the list.

FWIW I can't find this on Glock's site.

Edited by mreed911

21 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

This depends ENTIRELY on how Glock sells it.  

Yes, and apparently only one of us knows how they sell it.

The TB is a separate and distinct model, it has it's own unique stock number printed on the label on the side of the factory Glock hard case and is cataloged separately, not as an unnamed variation of the base model that just accidently happened to have a threaded barrel inside.

Good try though.

Edited by JimmyBob

• 1 year later...

Any updates on this since the recent rules changes? Glock has sold G19s and G17s with factory threaded barrels. And the Factory threaded barrels are readily available. 

I have an otherwise CO ready Glock 17. But with threaded barrel. Would be cool if I didn't have to buy another plain barrel just to be CO / Production legal. But, looks like I will have too.... just checking before purchase.

Barrel requirements are still the same (the following is from App D7, Feb 2018 revision)...

After-market slides and barrels

SLIDES: Current rules remain in effect – You may replace the slide with an OFM or aftermarket slide of the same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for that model of gun.

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel of the same length and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.

Special Notes/Clarifications: A barrel within +/- 0.1" of OFM is the same length. Barrels of the same length and caliber but with different crown profiles are authorized.

If there is still no TB model listed on the Production list, then you can only substitute a barrel that's within +/- 0.1" of the stock barrel.

Edited by JAFO