Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed- 550 vs. a Square Deal

JD45

Comparing pistol calibers only, and no casefeeder, which do you think you can run faster consistently?

I already have a SDB, and plan to buy a 550 regardless for many reasons, but I'd just like to hear some opinions. 

I've been using a SDB for 20 years, and have Never Seen a 550  ....    But,

I don't understand how a 550 could be ANY faster than a SDB.    :mellow:

Same process - you still have to load a new case and bullet for each pull

of the handle ...

I know people say they're faster with a 550, but without any evidence to the

contrary, it still seems strange to me that one machine would be faster than

the other ...  

BUT, lets wait and hear from those who have used both machines.    :)

The SDB is smaller, giving you less room to maneuver the cases and bullet heads. Yes, it auto indexes, but if you have the system down with the 550, indexing the press takes no time. I believe even Brian will say the 550 is faster.

Check out these posts by Brian...

I have never used a SDB but for me reloading is a task that requires attention to detail.  I keep reminding myself that I am making small explosive devices and one mistake could hurt me or my prized firearms.  Somehow high speed and attention to detail do not fit in the same sentence for me.

Over the years I have developed a very close relationship with each individual finger on both hands. 

All though on one occasion I loaded 350 rounds of 9MM on my old 550 B in under an hour without pushing or rushing the process.  

I learned early on with the SDB that you ALWAYS keep a bullet in your left hand. As soon as you sit one in the case mouth, you grab another.

If you don't, you'll waste lots of time.

This is why I can't figure out how manual indexing could be faster.

21 minutes ago, Rustygun said:

Over the years I have developed a very close relationship with each individual finger on both hands. 

:P

You, sir, are a very welcome and refreshing new member of our BE community.    :bow:

Welcome aboard, and thanks for that little bit of humor to brighten my day.    :D

Sorry to say I'm yet another in a series of responders who have only used one...in my case the 550.

Indexing the 550 in no way slows the loading process. If you weren't indexing with your left it would just be idle while the right hand was busy. The balance of "right hand do this while left hand does this" is perfect on the 550. So as cool as the auto-indexing feature is, you are absolutely not losing any efficiency on the 550.

From the other side, it possible that when you do have the occasional issue to clear the auto-indexing might actually complicate resolving the issue. On the 550 you can manually advance or reverse the shell plate however you want. I'm guessing the auto-index only goes forward and only in concert with the shell plate being raised, etc. It's a small difference, but allowing for a more fiddly clearance of an issue isn't nothing. Doubly so when you consider the smaller working area of the Square Deal.

All just ideas. And I think you really can't go wrong with either as long as you already know you're primarily a single caliber pistol guy. In fact, I've come close to buying my son a Square Deal B a couple times only because of the compactness for his apartment and the fact that he is a single caliber kind of guy.

I have experience with both... a LOT with a SDB.

There really is no speed advantage with a 550.  Manually indexing the shell plate IS a factor, it is something else you have to do within the process, simple as that. 

When loading on a SDB, as fast as my left hand can grab and orientate a bullet, the next case is ready to receive it. 

However, primer seating leverage does make reloading on a 550 more enjoyable for long runs. 

ie, 200-400 rounds I can almost promise you I can outrun a 550.... but my arm will tire quicker.  So for 1000 round loading sessions the 550 may have an edge. 

12 hours ago, JD45 said:

I learned early on with the SDB that you ALWAYS keep a bullet in your left hand. As soon as you sit one in the case mouth, you grab another.

If you don't, you'll waste lots of time.

This is why I can't figure out how manual indexing could be faster.

Because you do the same tbing with the 550. 

I have loaded 100 in 9:30 on my SD's before, never ran a 550 that fast. Then again my 550 loads the fewest rounds out of all my Dillon's, I use it to bridge the gap between SS/turret presses and the 650/1050's for rounds that the SD cannot load.

I could consistently do 100 .45ACP mixed brass in in 9 min., going at a fast pace, on my SDB. 

Not 9mm though. I don't think I've broken 12 min. ever. And if I hit a few bad pieces in that mixed brass, it's even slower.  

That little case just dont suck the bullets in the bell like a .45

Edited by JD45

With my 550 once dies are set and primer tubes are full (straight wall pistol), I can get 500 in an hour. That is pushing the limit, but 400 in an hour is an easy time. 

Mr. Dillon explained to me, the differance between a SDB and a 550 is like comparing an automatic transmission to a manual. I like the 550 because I load too many calibers.

I have a good bit of experience with the SDB and 550s.  I like them both.  I think way too much is made about indexing.  Two things come to mind.  The SDB does have a smaller work area and this seems to impact my speed at tad.  Too me it is less about physical space as vision.  I like looking 3 places every time I pull the handle, it seems the 550 has more options to see.  The 550 you can add a case feeder (OP does not want) and caliber options are 10x.  I have kept 550s and SDBs in multiples on the bench.  550 for "main" caliber and SDB for small batches.

All that has changed now.  I have seen the light.

I now have a 650xl with Mr. Bullet Feeder and Case Feeder.  I no longer reload.  I feed a machine that reloads for me.  Love it.  But, even with this - I have a SDB still setup dedicated for 45acp and plan to re-setup a 550 to do small batches for rifles and other weird stuff.

Left on an island with only a single option - probably would get a 550 and reminisce about the 650 setup.  550 just has so many caliber options.

• 3 weeks later...

I only reload a few calibers on my 550 now. Reloading .380 I average about 350-400 rph at a comfortable pace, I have done 500 rph in the past, but it reminded me of doing piece work when I was younger. Outside of .380 the 550 is my main source of .454 Casull production, considering my limited supply of brass for this caliber, and some additional consideration when producing magnum round, production is probably in the neighborhood of 150-200 rph..... and I'm fine with that. Real reloading volume is handled by my 650/1050's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, ttolliver said:

Sorry to say I'm yet another in a series of responders who have only used one...in my case the 550.

Indexing the 550 in no way slows the loading process. If you weren't indexing with your left it would just be idle while the right hand was busy. The balance of "right hand do this while left hand does this" is perfect on the 550. So as cool as the auto-indexing feature is, you are absolutely not losing any efficiency on the 550.

From the other side, it possible that when you do have the occasional issue to clear the auto-indexing might actually complicate resolving the issue. On the 550 you can manually advance or reverse the shell plate however you want. I'm guessing the auto-index only goes forward and only in concert with the shell plate being raised, etc. It's a small difference, but allowing for a more fiddly clearance of an issue isn't nothing.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

A buddy of mine keeps telling me I need to upgrade to a 650, but he doesn't realize the words quoted above.