Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Repair or Replace CED Millenium Chronograph

I'm wracked with indecision and am attempting to pawn it off on y'all. I have a CED Millenium chronograph. It's the first gen with the silver brain box. I have the carry case and infrared screens too. Last week, I think one or both of the sensors failed. When I plug in either sensor, the display shuts off. New sensors are available for $37 each, but I can't be positive this will fix the problem. For a little more money I could just buy a Pro Chrono. I'd like a Labradar, but it is cost prohibitive and I'm not interested in spending as much as I have in this unit, even though I've had it a while.

It seems most on this forum favor the Pro Chrono and I'm leaning toward it, despite hating the fact I'm giving up the infrared capability. What say you?

I have the ProChrono Digital and love it.  You won't go wrong with it.

But in your situation, I think I'd do a little more work to find out what is going on before abandoning a chrono you like.  As an electrical engineer, I question your fear that both sensors failed at or near the same time.  That is HIGHLY unlikely under normal circumstances.  On the other hand, if you did something to cause the failure, another situation.

Have you tried contacting CED customer service to see what they would suggest?   It's possible that your problem may be simple and they've seen it before.  Or they may conclude that your silver box is bad and then your decision is made for you.  Either way, don't go changing out parts unless you're confident they are bad.  That approach is rarely satisfactory and gets expensive real fast.

I have a CED M2 that just sits in its box unused (I need to just sell it) and I use a ProCrono with the Bluetooth attachment. I also use a Magneto Speed, great for just rifle on a busy firing line, no downrange setup. And it works very well in all conditions with small fast bullets.

Comparing the ProCrono and The CED;

The ProCrono will do shotgun rounds, the CED will not.

The ProCrono will work in all kinds of light conditions, the CED will not.

If I set them up end to end, the ProCrono will return good readings on 10 for 10 99% of the time, the CED will usually return about 6 out of 10, very seldom 10 for 10, especially with small 223 bullets going 3k fps or so. It doesn't matter if the CED is first in line or second either.

I have tried using the CED infrared screens in different conditions but still get crappy results. I refuse to build a infrared coffin when the ProCrono works so well, and its just as accurate as the infrared CED in a coffin (when it works).

I guess you can see what my recommendation would be... :)

jj

3 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

I have a CED M2 that just sits in its box unused (I need to just sell it) and I use a ProCrono with the Bluetooth attachment. I also use a Magneto Speed, great for just rifle on a busy firing line, no downrange setup. And it works very well in all conditions with small fast bullets.

Comparing the ProCrono and The CED;

The ProCrono will do shotgun rounds, the CED will not.

The ProCrono will work in all kinds of light conditions, the CED will not.

If I set them up end to end, the ProCrono will return good readings on 10 for 10 99% of the time, the CED will usually return about 6 out of 10, very seldom 10 for 10, especially with small 223 bullets going 3k fps or so. It doesn't matter if the CED is first in line or second either.

I have tried using the CED infrared screens in different conditions but still get crappy results. I refuse to build a infrared coffin when the ProCrono works so well, and its just as accurate as the infrared CED in a coffin (when it works).

I guess you can see what my recommendation would be... :)

jj

Pretty much. I won an M2 once and used it a few times before selling it. My Pro Chrono Digital is just as accurate, and is so much easier to set up. 

It's interesting, I started to get the M2, as the pundits seems to recommend it highly, ie sites like ChuckHawks, Dillon, etc - but all I ever read about from actual users is accuracy issues, incomplete strings, missing shots, etc. - I went with the Pro Chrony (actually, I tried the Caldwell G2 first but got a lot of shot errors so returned it),and have been happy with it.  I do like the remote display/control aspect of the M2 - and while I have the BT module for the PC, it's kind of a pain to deal with at the range with my phone.  I might pair it with a tablet and try that, but it would be so much easier with a remote box like the M2.

Anyway, PC will work fine for me - I'd like to have a Lab Radar and though about buying one, especially for use at indoor ranges where you can't setup a traditional Chrono, but reality is I don't think I would it enough to justify the cost.

Although, not that I think about it, the last 3 times I've gone to the range I've taken the PC ;).

• 1 month later...

I have both the Pro Chrono and the CED M2. From my experience I very much prefer the CED M2 and highly recommend it. I get consistent readings in various lighting conditions and almost never get an error reading. No complaints whatsoever with the CED M2 and love the features.

My CED was a pain. Got lots of ERR's on shots. It was my first chrono and the only one I had any experience with. I bought the Pro Chrono with bluetooth kit so it talked to my phone. It's awesome! Anyone with a CED who is interested in any of my working parts can shoot me a PM and an offer. I believe my silver brain box is the problem, but can't eliminate the sensors. Anyway, I have the complete system with carry case, plus another brand new in the box set  of screens and uprights, plus the infrared screens.