Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Youth shotgun opinions

Jimmy76

Hello all, my 12 son is wanting to start participating in multi-gun and I would appreciate others opinions on shotguns for junior shooters. He's been shooting Steel Challenge and USPSA for a few years and enjoys it. We have youth model pump action 20 gauges to get started but what's some good semi-autos to look into? I'm open (pun intended) to open shotguns with comps too. 

Thanks

Jim

I built up a CZ 712 utility for my son. It comes with a 21" barrel so it on the lighter side and easier to swing. It is a gas operated so it can run the lower recoil shells after a couple of boxes of heavy shells through it. I removed the OEM stock and replaced it with the ALS stock that adjusts the LOP from 12 to 14 in. so it can grow with him without having to start over. It came with 4 flush fit chokes. It's a great little shotgun for price. I did the port work myself so in total I have about $550 in it.

I would not recommend a 20 gauge.

When my son was 12 and we got him his own shotgun, we put a M2, M3000, VM, 1301, A5 on the table with a box of light target shells and 10 low recoil slugs each.  They were all fit well to him.  After shooting them all, he had a preference for the M3000.  His favorite gun is his P3K (Signature Patrick Kelley M3000 by MOA Precision).

Everytime I put smaller shooters behind the 1301 while comparing to other guns I tend to get a similar response that the recoil is sharp.  The Predator Tactical uses a 1301 style gas system and has recoil that is less sharp. Some people like the 1301, some do not.  Trick is to get your son behind some that are PROPERLY FIT for him.  Otherwise, you are just wasting time.

I can't say we are wasting time by going 20 first. The 12g variant is another pound heavier - plus whatever shell weight difference when loaded. For her that's a lot. Especially with the weight out front.

But she picked options that had a 12g option for easy transition later

On 2/14/2017 at 5:58 AM, MarkCO said:

Everytime I put smaller shooters behind the 1301 while comparing to other guns I tend to get a similar response that the recoil is sharp.  The Predator Tactical uses a 1301 style gas system and has recoil that is less sharp. Some people like the 1301, some do not.  Trick is to get your son behind some that are PROPERLY FIT for him.  Otherwise, you are just wasting time.

As a thin 67 year old with tired joints, I put the Beretta Kick-Off in my 1301, so it's a very soft shooter.

Edited by Paul49
Appearance

On 15/02/2017 at 0:34 AM, MarkCO said:

Totally different topic.  The "wasting time" was in relation to properly fit guns.  No matter if 20 or 12, or even 16...has to fit before anything meaningful can be determined.

Mark as you obviously have experience with fitting shotguns to youths in your lad can you give me some advice or an idiot's guide to getting a youth gun fit right please. 

58 minutes ago, Chriswakey said:

Mark as you obviously have experience with fitting shotguns to youths in your lad can you give me some advice or an idiot's guide to getting a youth gun fit right please. 

First is LOP.  I tried to take off just enough so that it fit but that he could still use it for a few years.  I just recently had to refit it because he has grown 5 inches and it no longer fit.  But then you have drop and cant to put the line of the barrel directly perpendicular to the strong side eye (the rear sight).  

Here is Patrick Kelley's article on the subject of fit: http://www.multigunmedia.com/shotgun-fit.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I can definitely see that which ever way we go, fitting will be very important. Thanks for the link to fitting Mark. We'll have to take a look at the different options and go from there. 

Jim

On 16/02/2017 at 2:08 PM, MarkCO said:

First is LOP.  I tried to take off just enough so that it fit but that he could still use it for a few years.  I just recently had to refit it because he has grown 5 inches and it no longer fit.  But then you have drop and cant to put the line of the barrel directly perpendicular to the strong side eye (the rear sight).  

Here is Patrick Kelley's article on the subject of fit: http://www.multigunmedia.com/shotgun-fit.pdf

Thanks Mark, this is such a good article. Patrick makes a black art subject understandable, even for dunces like me! B)

We have a new local shooter who is a very small 13yo girl. Her father bought her a Weatherby SA-08 in 20 guage and I worked it over for her. It's stupid light weight, less than six pounds, comes with a short stock and Nordic makes a 10 round tube for it. Load port design is very similar to a 1301 and easy to open up, with the serial number being located to the rear on the receiver. I tapped the bolt release and put on a Nordic button and replaced the bead with a Hi-Viz front sight. The gun recoils lightly, although recoil was not the primary issue as she shot a 1301 and a Benelli M4 in her first match, the issue was a gun light enough that she could handle in comfortably being as she is only 5' and weights 65lbs. I'm sure as she gets older she will move up to a 12 gauge but for now this gun suits her very well.

[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/2SW0jT.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by T Bacus